Labour about to split?

Re. Ummuna, he is also cutting off a large amount of his press/media coverage. It appears to be proportionate to party size. We don't hear from Liberal MPs often compared to Labour or Tory, for example. Ummuna will love being the man of the hour but that's soon over.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
That's the end of politics for the Magnificent Seven. I hope they stand as Independents at the next GE - if they have been good constituency MPs could carry a sizeable personal vote - so that they can split the Labour vote against a new Labour candidate specially selected for the purity of his/her/its Marxist-Leninist thought. In the short term the Communist traitors who currently run Labour will be only too happy to get more of their kind onto the ballot paper.

All good news for Mrs M.

What happened to Boundary Changes btw? Years overdue now after the Liberal 'Democrat'(!) peers binned them last time around. Lots of reselection for Labour there.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
That's the end of politics for the Magnificent Seven. I hope they stand as Independents at the next GE - if they have been good constituency MPs could carry a sizeable personal vote - so that they can split the Labour vote against a new Labour candidate specially selected for the purity of his/her/its Marxist-Leninist thought. In the short term the Communist traitors who currently run Labour will be only too happy to get more of their kind onto the ballot paper.

All good news for Mrs M.

What happened to Boundary Changes btw? Years overdue now after the Liberal 'Democrat'(!) peers binned them last time around. Lots of reselection for Labour there.
Opposition Amendment to postpone

Sixth Periodic Review of Westminster constituencies - Wikipedia

All 7 splitters are by all accounts pro Remainers who want a 2nd “peoples vote”. Groan. Polar opposite to my own personal POV - and yet, there is part of me that admired their press conference today. Perhaps it’s because the more of them that break away from the Corbyn cult, expressing their disgust, the less chance of the Marxists moving in to Downing Street?
Then you look across the floor to the shambles that is the current Conservative Party. Has the stock of our Political class ever been so low?

The scores on the doors have it thus:

Chuka Umunna: Streatham (Maj: 26,285) Safe lab seat.

Luciana Berger: Liverpool Wavertree (Maj: 29,466) Safe Lab seat

Chris Leslie: Nottingham East (Maj: 19,590) Safe Lab seat

Angela Smith: Penistone and Stockbridge (Maj at 2005: 1,322) Not so safe

Mike Gapes: Ilford South (Maj: 31,647) Safe Lab seat

Gavin Shuker: Luton South (Maj: 13,925) Safe Lab seat

Ann Coffey: Stockport (Maj: 14,477) Safe Lab seat

I can see no room for a paradigm shift in that lot. None of the above except, possibly Umunna, has the presence to win as a true Independent: also, Ann Coffey is now 72 and this turn in the limelight is probably her political swansong.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
On a positive note, for the Labour party I'd liken it to getting rid of the drunken pastor in Zulu.
Jack Hawkins finest hour !

I remember it as a turning point in my perceptions of what an actor actually does.

The Gang of Four Redux wannabees, excused ranks:

The MPs are –

• Chuka Umunna, MP for Streatham and former shadow business secretary.
  • Luciana Berger, MP for Liverpool Wavertree and former shadow minister for mental health.
  • Gavin Shuker, MP for Luton South and former shadow international development minister.
  • Angela Smith, MP for Penistone and Stocksbridge and former shadow deputy leader of the House of Commons.
  • Chris Leslie, MP Nottingham East and former shadow chancellor.
  • Mike Gapes, MP for Ilford South and former chair of the foreign affairs select committee.
  • Ann Coffey, MP for Stockport and former parliamentary private secretary to Alistair Darling when he was chancellor of the exchequer.

[B]Laura Kuenssberg[/B]‏Verified account @[B]bbclaurak[/B] 2h2 hours ago
More
Whatever you think of these seven leaving Labour it is clear it’s been a huge decision for them all - you can see it on their faces, no joy in it for them and they know the abuse they will get and are already receiving

[ Who they? Ed.]

Edit: not a good week for Comrade Jezza - Labour's incumbent MP for Newport East just croaked

Last edited:
I wonder what the impact of this will be? Re. the B word, it creates seven MPs who cannot be whipped to support a Brexit deal. It makes May's task more difficult in that respect.
It dilutes the strength of opposition to the Tories. Given the divisions within the Tory Party, the performance of all opposition at this time is dreadful and, by potentially splitting the anti-Tory vote at future GEs, this is a help to the government.
Looking at the group's 'manifesto', I can't see what they gain by being independent, rather than Liberal. If they are hoping to coax wet Tories away from that party, even v wet Tories have supported welfare reform and are not good bedfellows for this new group.