Labour about to split?

As the last 7 defections were blamed on the Jews, with the Jews funding them if you believe the Labour Party, how long before they claim Joan Ryan is Jewish because she's got a big nose?
I believe one is of Nigerian origins so it could be one big 419 scam but Labour will stick to the Israel did it line.

It's still not clear what the purpose of the new grouping is. Ummuna was clear this morning that they are not yet a political party. The more that Labour MPs trickle to the new grouping, the harder it will become for the high profile opponents of Corbyn (Cooper, for example) to explain why they are staying. Should a big hitter leave Labour, this splintering could quickly become a splitting of the national and parliamentary party.
On this morning's Today on R4, Nick Robinson said that Ummuna had had recent meetings with a major donator of funds to Labour. Ummuna didn't deny this and the implication was that the new group might have serious financial backers.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
As the last 7 defections were blamed on the Jews, with the Jews funding them if you believe the Labour Party, how long before they claim Joan Ryan is Jewish because she's got a big nose?
Still blaming the Jews

Once had occasion to be in conversation with one of the London Underground types. His son had followed him in (as you know, it's something of a closed shop). His son was a 24 year-old electrician on £60k/yr.

"But, y'know, he does shifts... including nights."
New joiner pilot, expected to be available to roster 24/7/52.

£32k. Expected to do a bit more than operate the doors. Still, elitist so on Corbyn’s radar. SWIDT?

As someone who now works for a subterranean metropolitan transport provider (mentioning no names), I can confirm the pay is awesome, as is the remuneration package. And they like to hire ex-Forces.

Three words: final salary pension.

I:muhaha:
And the final salary pension is now closed to further accrual.

It's still not clear what the purpose of the new grouping is. Ummuna was clear this morning that they are not yet a political party. The more that Labour MPs trickle to the new grouping, the harder it will become for the high profile opponents of Corbyn (Cooper, for example) to explain why they are staying. Should a big hitter leave Labour, this splintering could quickly become a splitting of the national and parliamentary party.
On this morning's Today on R4, Nick Robinson said that Ummuna had had recent meetings with a major donator of funds to Labour. Ummuna didn't deny this and the implication was that the new group might have serious financial backers.
I understand they have set themselves up as a plc which means the party political and election funding rules do not apply to them as a "party".

Ian Austin looks like he'll jump ship by the end of the week, so that makes 9
He is another MP threatened with deselection. That threat has really backfired in the short term. I wonder how many of the eight or nine will contest their seats at next GE? That is, is this a move to force Corbyn out in some way, or a real attempt to preserve their careers and a form of non-Corbyn Labour?

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
He is another MP threatened with deselection. That threat has really backfired in the short term. I wonder how many of the eight or nine will contest their seats at next GE? That is, is this a move to force Corbyn out in some way, or a real attempt to preserve their careers and a form of non-Corbyn Labour?
If they remain as an Independent Group I reckon they will contest their seats, they've had enough enough Corbynist Labour is an absolute sewer of racism and unreconstructed Trots they care about ideological purity not the people - they let Hatton back in for gawds sake.

As long as Corbyn remains in charge Labour are fucked.

So I think it's a bit of two things - genuinely trying to establish a new political centre and on the other trying to save Labour from it's weirdo fringe

If they remain as an Independent Group I reckon they will contest their seats, they've had enough enough Corbynist Labour is an absolute sewer of racism and unreconstructed Trots they care about ideological purity not the people - they let Hatton back in for gawds sake.

As long as Corbyn remains in charge Labour are fucked.

So I think it's a bit of two things - genuinely trying to establish a new political centre and on the other trying to save Labour from it's weirdo fringe
That's a good argument.
On a purely practical level (that is, Corbyn's views and his support from members aside) if Corbyn loses, say, 15-20 MPs, it's a disaster for Labour. Nine or ten is still very bad. I don't see how he can stay on then without the parliamentary party collapsing. I don't think he'll go however. God knows what is going to happen.
It is a Godsend to the Tories. You can probably rip up Labour's list of target marginals already.

That's a good argument.
On a purely practical level (that is, Corbyn's views and his support from members aside) if Corbyn loses, say, 15-20 MPs, it's a disaster for Labour. Nine or ten is still very bad. I don't see how he can stay on then without the parliamentary party collapsing. I don't think he'll go however. God knows what is going to happen.
It is a Godsend to the Tories. You can probably rip up Labour's list of target marginals already.
On the bright side, the demise of the Abbott could soon follow.

Latest Threads