LA Times Afghan view

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by pp0470, Apr 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Unbeatable tactic the ied. Scares the **** out of me.
  2. Nice on captain obvious, join the party a bit late?
  3. LA Times article published April 6, 2011, 4:11 p.m.

Anything constructive, factual or enlightening to add Clunge, or just ******** onelines?
  4. Fair one, dickish line after a few shandies last night but point stands, its been like this for the last2 or so years. The more victims to IED strikes, the better surgeons/medics/team medics skills are going to get thus leading to more amputee survivors.
  5. yeah i read this the other day, nice little read. I dont know how you would cope mentally and physically of course if you got injured so early into your tour like the LT did. All that training and time for preparing to deploy.They took over in September.He got injured in early october. Just shows not much has changed since we handed it over.
  6. More people are surviving horrific injuries due to some of the best medical facilities in the world been a couple of hours away, with first class medics at point of injury and the skill of the MERT.

Are these facilities there more for our benefit, or the benefit of the politicians who have to account to the public? How would public opinion go if along with each fatality, every amputation was reported?

My view on it is that if I still have a hand left to wipe my own arse then I would cope, but, and I hate to say it, depending on my state I wonder if I could have the choice of tournique or not, and to be able to drift off to Valhalla in a foreign field?
  7. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

From what i have read of medics and injuries etc, many people say they want to die if lose a leg or an arm etc, but when they come round in hospital with a stump, they are generally grateful to be alive.
  8. An arm, a leg, yes easy decision. 2 limbs - hard, but **** it, I like challenges!

2 or 3 limbs plus the very likely severe genital injuries and i wonder how strong my resolve would be then
  9. Ask Dinger.
  10. Thanks for the direction - I hope he will join the topic. I'd much prefer to hear it from the horses mouth, rather than my speculations