La Palma Volcano lets rip

According to the press / media, the eruption is becoming more intense. From the Guardian:

And from Euronews:

That's a nice video and worth watching. The two unimportant but interesting bits that I found especially entertaining were the lava pushing into the swimming pool and the house and garden surrounded by lava but otherwise seemingly untouched, like an island in a sea of lava rock.

That's a nice video and worth watching. The two unimportant but interesting bits that I found especially entertaining were the lava pushing into the swimming pool and the house and garden surrounded by lava but otherwise seemingly untouched, like an island in a sea of lava rock.
That house is remarkable. In past times, the survival of the house would have been seen as a sign of God's favour. 'And The Lord smote every house save one, wherein a good man lived'

That house is remarkable. In past times, the survival of the house would have been seen as a sign of God's favour. 'And The Lord smote every house save one, wherein a good man lived'
Well the video mentions that it is being called "the miracle house".

I have to wonder if the owner is going to try to sell "the miracle house" before buyers realize what the implications are of being surrounded by fresh volcanic rock.

Well the video mentions that it is being called "the miracle house".

I have to wonder if the owner is going to try to sell "the miracle house" before buyers realize what the implications are of being surrounded by fresh volcanic rock.

I'm sure they'd find a buyer. I can't think of an imaginative sales pitch for the hot property.

Spanish press are reporting the main cone has now blown and caused a huge landslide down the southwest side of the mountain.
This lava flow is much faster than the others and is rapidly heading towards the sea as it is more fluid than the 4 other main flows.
Apparently contact with the sea could lead to explosions and release of toxic gasses.
Live stream here:

Thanks for the updates.

1632600526150.png

A new vent has opened up and magma is flowing from it.

"Around a thousand people have had to be evacuated from the areas of Tajuya (644 inhabitants) and Tacande de Abajo (319), as well as the part of Tacande de Arriba that had not already been cleared of residents (385)."

Volcanic activity increases on La Palma, prompting new evacuations and flight cancelations

TamH70

MIA
Bugger. I knew I should have got back in the swimming pool after lockdown ended...

Nah. Knowing how to swim only makes you die tired when the tsunami comes along.

Clunker

Old-Salt
When the Hawaiian volcano went off a couple of years ago I was hooked on the USGS daily reports and video feed. Watching as the lava flows created a new delta in what was a natural harbour. I just kept thinking that I would love to get as close as safety allows to a spewing Volcano, just to feel and hear the power. To see the movement of lava for myself. Being a cripple now, I never will. But...
I seem to remember a group of tourists in New Zealand with a similar mind.
(White Island)
Did not end well for them.
Being a danger junkie is gambling your life for some adrenaline.
Most do not think it worth it.

From Friday's The Spain News, a useful graphic of the island, the area of activity and the lava flow.
THE CANARY

280 new houses to be bought for La Palma evacuees as Volcano continues to erupt – The Canary​

September 24, 2021
1632602908997.png

280 new houses to be bought for La Palma evacuees as Volcano continues to erupt - The Canary - Spain News

Saturday:

THE CANARY

Risk of La Palma volcano potentially collapsing spurs further precautionary evacuations – The Canary​

September 25, 2021

1632603389001.png

“The dangers that the population would face if the volcanic cone were to collapse would be lava flows of high temperature and and high gas content, not very viscous, that can jump over topographic obstacles”; the ballistic fragments would also have a greater range and there would be dense ash fall. But of all these scenarios, the worst would be the collapse of the volcanic cone.

Risk of La Palma volcano potentially collapsing spurs further precautionary evacuations - The Canary - Spain News

Dwarf

LE

Dwarf

LE
The big worry here is if the lava reaches the sea, which is why this second focus with strong lava flow is a major problem.

From TV Canaria:

1632604073748.png

Oceanographic experts are on a ship. Geological experts are closer to the volcano where they are monitoring seismological activity and a lot more besides.
1632604245832.png

There were scenes from the daytime when people were being evacuated.

Latest Threads