La Palma Volcano lets rip

Whats happening at mo

1635352000521.png

1635352027596.png

A short video here showing the lava flow superimposed on a relief map of the island, showing the houses and roads covered so far. I think the yellow/orange areas are live vents, and some are directly in areas formerly occupied by homes.

A short video here showing the lava flow superimposed on a relief map of the island, showing the houses and roads covered so far. I think the yellow/orange areas are live vents, and some are directly in areas formerly occupied by homes.

You can see smaller hills between the current eruption zone and sea. Those are almost certainly volcanic cones left from earlier eruptions.

Some buildings in Gloucester have a vertical rule and various flood levels marked with horizontal lines. With hindsight, I wonder if a camera such as this has been in a fixed position long enough to superimpose a grid on the images.
There is tons of data I am sure once it settles down a bit someone will get round to it.

Here it the updated lava flow

Some buildings in Gloucester have a vertical rule and various flood levels marked with horizontal lines. With hindsight, I wonder if a camera such as this has been in a fixed position, with a fixed focal length, for long enough to superimpose a grid on the images, for meaningful comparison.
I imagine there will be a concerted LIDAR campaign to monitor the changes in shape.

Hate to say but that map showing fossilised aftermaths of millions of years past depicts just another day/ usual very other multi thousand years at the office for the island. Nor in land mass terms, is it presenting much of future impact in geo 10's thousand years hence. It's having a very hot & disruptive sneeze
because humans will do what they did at Herculaneum...as get in the bloody way!
Mankind is a mere temporary blip...but we like to think we are more...until we have to run like the crappers out the way of "small" eruption.
Glad I'm in Scotland though and can drive in less than an hour into the Great Glen which is basically a massive Fault...which is surrounded by....yip... lots of very dead volcanoes.

I find stuff like this interesting.
Perspectives...as in tip of a hot hot iceberg.
DPWEHZ6LZNFV5KJY554NZIDZWI.png

You can imagine 25ks downwards the pressure cooker of liquid rock under thousands of tons PSI squirting upwards. Scary.

Last edited:
Hate to say but that map showing fossilised aftermaths of millions of years past depicts just another day/ usual very other multi thousand years at the office for the island. Nor in land mass terms, is it presenting much of future impact in geo 10's thousand years hence. It's having a very hot & disruptive sneeze
Mankind is a mere temporary blip...but we like to think we are more...until we have to run like the crappers out the way of "small" eruption.
Glad I'm in Scotland though and can drive in less than an hour into the Great Glen which is basically a massive Fault...which is surrounded by....yip... lots of very dead volcanoes.

You can imagine 25ks downwards the pressure cooker of liquid rock under thousands of tons PSI squirting upwards. Scary.
Talking of icebergs and volcanos, Mount Erebus in Antarctica springs to mind:
1635420636552.png
1635420769876.png

Mount Erebus - Wikipedia

You don't have to go that far, bud. You can look out your window at the Ochil hills, which is also a massive fault line and extinct volcanic chain.
The volcanism was slightly different though, producing less viscous magma (silica poor) from a multitude of vents in a form known as a "shield volcano" which resulted in layers of basalt on top of the sandstone bedrock.
As an indicator of the scale of the "throw" of the Ochil fault, the basalt at the peak of Ben Cleuch above Tillicoultry is around 400 million years old, while the coal measures under Tilli are only about 318 million years old.

Latest Threads