La Palma Volcano lets rip

1635189331303.png

Tyk

LE
Does anyone know much about the internal structure of a volcano? Are we talking about a mountain with some fissures / cracks through which lava escapes, or is the mountain likely riddled with shafts and chambers?
That is, how stable a structure is a volcano erupting as intensively as this?

Fundamentally the main structure is riddled with cracks and cooling defects, they're never a uniform structure. One thing to bear in mind when a lava chamber fills it's not only hot and under some spectacular pressures, the lava also acts as a solvent. Add heaps of gasses under lunatic high pressures and some of the gasses are not only very hot, but are corrosive, well you get the idea.

It's only the accumulated mass that's built up on the outside that stops the whole thing becoming thoroughly eaten away and collapsing inwards like a very crumbly thing, which of course you've seen with the various vents and cones already.

This televisation of this eruption in such detail is probably confirming all sorts of theories the volcanologists have, they must be getting more data than they could ever imagine.

Fundamentally the main structure is riddled with cracks and cooling defects, they're never a uniform structure. One thing to bear in mind when a lava chamber fills it's not only hot and under some spectacular pressures, the lava also acts as a solvent. Add heaps of gasses under lunatic high pressures and some of the gasses are not only very hot, but are corrosive, well you get the idea.

It's only the accumulated mass that's built up on the outside that stops the whole thing becoming thoroughly eaten away and collapsing inwards like a very crumbly thing, which of course you've seen with the various vents and cones already.

This televisation of this eruption in such detail is probably confirming all sorts of theories the volcanologists have, they must be getting more data than they could ever imagine.
Thank you for that reply. The volcano looks increasingly unstable (my un-informed impression, based on video). I see from earlier replies that life is going on in the town that is separated from the volcano by a ridgeline. I would by now be ready to decamp post-haste, if I was there.
I'm still pretty amazed that we can see this live. Modern tech has given us so much. I have just been listening to an analysis of the NASA recordings from the surface of Mars; stuff that - when I was a boy - would have seemed incredible.

Thank you for that reply. The volcano looks increasingly unstable (my un-informed impression, based on video). I see from earlier replies that life is going on in the town that is separated from the volcano by a ridgeline. I would by now be ready to decamp post-haste, if I was there.
I'm still pretty amazed that we can see this live. Modern tech has given us so much. I have just been listening to an analysis of the NASA recordings from the surface of Mars; stuff that - when I was a boy - would have seemed incredible.
Recordings from Mars?

Dwarf

LE
If that was next to a RQMS's stores just think how much kit could be written off.
Make everything that *ahem* went down on the Atlantic Conveyor look like a market stall.

Tip off from the multi view thread that Bushcraft Bear recorded a video addressing a grid pattern conspiracy theory where claims had been made that because quakes were represented by a few dots that appeared regular in their separation, as if in a grid, it must be man made. :rolleyes:
BcB generously suggests it's a misunderstanding. I might not be so generous.

Are the earthquakes natural? Grid pattern on earthquake monitor website.

Tyk

LE
Tip off from the multi view thread that Bushcraft Bear recorded a video addressing a grid pattern conspiracy theory where claims had been made that because quakes were represented by a few dots that appeared regular in their separation, as if in a grid, it must be man made. :rolleyes:
BcB generously suggests it's a misunderstanding. I might not be so generous.

Are the earthquakes natural? Grid pattern on earthquake monitor website.

That bloke does some tidy videos, easy to understand.

I find it hilarious when people start speculating that earthquakes like the swarms on La Palma are man made, the simple fact is that the energy released in these seismic events is so huge that mankind isn't capable of reproducing them short of stacking very substantial nuclear weapons in properly constructed caverns, one per quake.
That's ignoring the depths at which the quakes occur which are multiple kilometres.

Compared to the energy released in this really quite placid volcano humans can't come close and if you start looking at the potential of the big nasty ones they can release more in ten minutes than humankind has ever done since we evolved. Humans really are piffling small change in planetary terms.

That bloke does some tidy videos, easy to understand.

I find it hilarious when people start speculating that earthquakes like the swarms on La Palma are man made, the simple fact is that the energy released in these seismic events is so huge that mankind isn't capable of reproducing them short of stacking very substantial nuclear weapons in properly constructed caverns, one per quake.
That's ignoring the depths at which the quakes occur which are multiple kilometres.

Compared to the energy released in this really quite placid volcano humans can't come close and if you start looking at the potential of the big nasty ones they can release more in ten minutes than humankind has ever done since we evolved. Humans really are piffling small change in planetary terms.
Thanks is due to @johnboyzzz for bringing Bushcraft Bear's videos to our attention.

One Spanish newspaper headline says "it sounds like the waves of the sea but smells like a fart".
Too much paella does that to me too.

Latest Threads