La Palma Volcano lets rip

Tyk

LE
Thank you for that reminder of the stream. Just checked and it is very dramatic. Does anyone have any idea of the height of the (not sure what to call it) eruption 'flames'?

Mostly a function of how sticky the magma is and how much gas is trapped, the glowing lava splatters can get hundreds of feet up, but you can get lava bombs gas and steam jets and all sorts of variations that fly like a cork out of fizz, lots of variables.

The heat haze is a good deal higher obviously and a tad turbulent, I wouldn't volunteer to be in a helicopter less than a couple of thousand feet over the crater and then I'd be looking for new underwear.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
would there have been a Nueé Ardente with this type of eruption then? now they **seriously** put the shits up me.

Not sure if these screen grabs help but these are from video taken by the civil police from a helicopter. Perhaps the molten ejection and fire is a few hundred feet high but the ash plume appears quite a bit higher. It's difficult to judge from this though.
1632091542221.png
1632091591947.png

La erupción del volcán de La Palma desde el cielo

From the cropped image below, the plume appears fairly tall but nothing like the height or spread of the Icelandic eruption which affected flights in Europe a few years ago. The Island's president says that now some 5000 people have been evacuated from the town in the path of the main lava flow, there is minimal risk to life and that damage will be material only, as the lava flows out to sea. That said, there was also mention of other habitations being evacuated or that this was a possibility. There have been hundreds of earth tremors.

The National Geographic Institute (IGN) has reported that 327 earthquakes have been detected today, of which 86 have been located with a maximum magnitude of 3.8 degrees of intensity at 10.16 am, "widely felt on the Island" and with a depth of 2 kilometers.

1632092676985.png

Source: Explosión del nuevo volcán en La Palma (19/09/2021)
From article (in Spanish): Nuevo volcán en erupción en La Palma

Tyk

LE
would there have been a Nueé Ardente with this type of eruption then? now they **seriously** put the shits up me.

Not impossible, but much less likely with this type of volcano.
Those pyroclastic events tend to be with the stickier types of magma where loads of gas pressure builds up and when it lets go it lifts all the stuff (megatons of pulverised rock and hot stuff) high into the air like so many feathers over a fan, the bad bit is when that lifted stuff falls down and it's a little "messy".
Less than 50 miles away from one of those is a terribly bad idea, less than 100 is probably bone headed.

Ash plumes in the many thousands of feet or even stratospheric aren't rare. Depends on all sorts of things especially pressure and the rock types. Look at what happened to flights when that unspellable Icelandic volcano popped a few years back, buggered up aviation for months.

I was thinking more of the kind of people who'd be tempted to take a selfie in front of the flow, or play chicken with it, or try 'firewalking' across the top...

Americanos might attempt the selfie. Certain British, all three.
Couple of pissed up brits "**** it lllaaad let head up there and piss on the cnut soon have it out"

TamH70

MIA
Any chance of a tsunami?

Should East Coast Americans be bugging out towards high ground about now?

Cumbre Vieja (which I'm now going to Bing to see if I've got the correct spelling) is the one we're worried about, right enough. If a realllllly big one goes off there, the whole of one side of that hill is going to go slap into the Med. West Flank Collapse is how wiki words it.

And sod the East Coast Americans - everybody on the East Coast of the UK better look out their water wings and aqualungs.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Cumbre Vieja (which I'm now going to Bing to see if I've got the correct spelling) is the one we're worried about, right enough. If a realllllly big one goes off there, the whole of one side of that hill is going to go slap into the Med. West Flank Collapse is how wiki words it.

And sod the East Coast Americans - everybody on the East Coast of the UK better look out their water wings and aqualungs.
I wouldn't worry too much about them, they all have webbed feet and hands anyway!

TamH70

MIA
Is there some odd funnelling effect from the channel?

Must be, or the boffins wouldn't have mentioned it in the videos I've watched, including that documentary from the Beeb.

I was thinking more of the kind of people who'd be tempted to take a selfie in front of the flow, or play chicken with it, or try 'firewalking' across the top...

Americanos might attempt the selfie. Certain British, all three.

Obviously, if someone makes a 10 Pfleg bet, you have no choice.

Easier to explain in terms of Granitic and Basaltic type lava chemistry as people have an understanding of those types of rocks, gross generalisation, but close enough to get the idea.
Basically it's warmed up hard toffee (FOGB bang type explosions, St Helens was pretty subtle on the overall scale of what it could have been) vs hot sugar syrup which just burbles away and doesn't tend to go kaboom (for a given scale of kaboom obviously).

You've just broken Rico's heart.

TamH70

MIA

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Latest Threads