La Palma Volcano lets rip

I just watched this on some news channels - another house engulfed. It's pretty heart-breaking to watch that and seeing people's homes and livelihoods being destroyed. Poor sods, I hope they are insured and don't have any issues with claims, but for those that didn't have insurance - there's nothing much to say apart from I sympathise with them and hope things get better sooner rather than later, hopefully their government can sort them out with alternative accommodation and give them some money to help them.
No sympathy, building or buying a house near an active volcano is like the clowns whining about their riverside houses being flooded.

No sympathy, building or buying a house near an active volcano is like the clowns whining about their riverside houses being flooded.
A lot of these people were born on that Island and their entire families lived there for generations. There's probably quite a lot of these people that don't have much money and worked on the farm land that has been inherited and destroyed and through no fault of their own have just lost their jobs, land and housing.

A lot of these people were born on that Island and their entire families lived there for generations. There's probably quite a lot of these people that don't have much money and worked on the farm land that has been inherited and destroyed and through no fault of their own have just lost their jobs, land and housing.
I expect any insurers with an ounce of sense will declare it an act of god.

1634677771687.png

This article follows a timeline of events. There are photos, maps, diagrams and a short video compilation. One month on, La Palma volcano continues to cause destruction

Not sure if these screen grabs help but these are from video taken by the civil police from a helicopter. Perhaps the molten ejection and fire is a few hundred feet high but the ash plume appears quite a bit higher. It's difficult to judge from this though.
View attachment 605453 View attachment 605454
La erupción del volcán de La Palma desde el cielo

From the cropped image below, the plume appears fairly tall but nothing like the height or spread of the Icelandic eruption which affected flights in Europe a few years ago. The Island's president says that now some 5000 people have been evacuated from the town in the path of the main lava flow, there is minimal risk to life and that damage will be material only, as the lava flows out to sea. That said, there was also mention of other habitations being evacuated or that this was a possibility. There have been hundreds of earth tremors.

The National Geographic Institute (IGN) has reported that 327 earthquakes have been detected today, of which 86 have been located with a maximum magnitude of 3.8 degrees of intensity at 10.16 am, "widely felt on the Island" and with a depth of 2 kilometers.

View attachment 605457
Source: Explosión del nuevo volcán en La Palma (19/09/2021)
From article (in Spanish): Nuevo volcán en erupción en La Palma

Bloody dangerous nevertheless, due to sudden changes in air pressure.

The multi feed I've been watching (linked above) has some interesting posts on the right hand side. It was one of those that led me to the video footage via Twitter, above. Here is another on YouTube with aerial footage of the eruptions and of the ash deposits.

Translation: "LA PALMA VOLCANO EXPLOSIVE PHASE - CANARY ISLANDS - MUCH STRENGTH TO THE PALM TREES!"

It's also worth a browse of this feed, below, moving the cursor or start from the beginning with a high speed until you find an interesting section.

Example. Steam, smoke, ash, fire, showers of molten rock.
1634685747496.png

Lots of mag 3 quakes

Last edited:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Any news on the remaining trapped dogs?

1634688032049.png

1634688121080.png

There are plenty of idiots and trolls on You Tube. The multifeed is not immune to them but generally seems to have a more sensible level of discussion than most.
1634688232040.png

Last edited:

Dwarf

LE
Re dog rescue ; recce flights done and load test and endurance test flights successfully completed this morning.

Latest Threads