La Palma Volcano lets rip

@Legs no data on height of volcano is available at present I have been told

Dog rescue risk assessment is going on at the moment depending on the outcome for the permit to fly.

Dogs getting water video here after the TV advert
It is definitely bigger but don't know how much.

It has been pumping out ash all day with folk wearing goggles and masks to get about. The kids are back at school and a temporary one is being used by some as theirs was demolished by lava.

Latest picture

1634576849554.png

Attachments

• 1634576812486.png
    1634576812486.png
    323.5 KB · Views: 3
One thing I haven't read or seen is by how much has the volcano grown in height since the current eruption began.
I don't think there was cone there previously, the vent opened up on a slope. The eruptions site is nowhere near the top of the island.

TamH70

MIA
This is the Geological map of La Palma island (after Padrón et al.15).
41598_2020_75001_Fig1_HTML.png

The current volcano is here:
Map_of_2021_Cumbre_Vieja_eruption.png

Judging by those maps, either all the hot red and glowy stuff is coming out of vents that are a bit south of the highest point of the cone, or the piccies don't do a one-for-one match. Either way, it's a bit confusing for me this time on a Tuesday morning.

From a local young woman I have been chatting to on the live link

the lava is coming back down over the top of the flow that covered the football camp in la Laguna. it's heavily charged, moving slowly but heading towards the main part of town, petrol st. pharmacy, shops etc - petrol station was emptied a week ago.

TamH70

MIA
From a local young woman I have been chatting to on the live link

the lava is coming back down over the top of the flow that covered the football camp in la Laguna. it's heavily charged, moving slowly but heading towards the main part of town, petrol st. pharmacy, shops etc - petrol station was emptied a week ago.

Has the town been evacuated yet? I might have missed seeing that it has been because the ohmygosh look at that lava flows are a bit eye-catching.

Judging by those maps, either all the hot red and glowy stuff is coming out of vents that are a bit south of the highest point of the cone, or the piccies don't do a one-for-one match. Either way, it's a bit confusing for me this time on a Tuesday morning.
South East of the centre ridge, about level with the top of the green line, I think?
Meanwhile, huge amounts of black ash coming from the ??first cone, uphill of the ones pushing out lava.
The 'new'lava stream will be falling into the sea very soon.

TamH70

MIA
Hell's teeth, will somebody go and poke it with a stick? The suspense is killing me!

Piss orf!

I'm not about to take the risk that that volcano collapsing thingy ends up flooding me out. And most of the rest of the West of Scotland given I'm on the fourteenth storey of a high flat, and thus actually fifteen floors above ground.

Just an update, permission for the rescue attempt of the dogs granted about 15:00 bst . Equipment and personnel are moving in to position.

I just watched this on some news channels - another house engulfed. It's pretty heart-breaking to watch that and seeing people's homes and livelihoods being destroyed. Poor sods, I hope they are insured and don't have any issues with claims, but for those that didn't have insurance - there's nothing much to say apart from I sympathise with them and hope things get better sooner rather than later, hopefully their government can sort them out with alternative accommodation and give them some money to help them.

Latest Threads