La Palma Volcano lets rip

Bushcraft Bear's report was spot on. Latest from El Pais:

1633984572424.png

Further collapse is expected. Around 95 further homes at risk.

Morcuende explained on Sunday that the new lava flows have broken into two branches, both north of the main flow of molten rock. One is currently traveling further north and reached Callejón de la Gata on Sunday. It is moving at a slow speed of around five meters per hour. Authorities are closely watching its advance to see whether action needs to be taken to protect the local population.

More roads are now at risk, which can complicate things further.

The second branch has crossed the LP-213 road and is traveling north to south between Todoque and Puerto Naos in the town of Tazacorte. This branch is expected to advance parallel to the main flow and make its way to the sea by going north of Todoque mountain. It is important to note that when the main flow reached the Atlantic Ocean at the end of September it went around the south side of the mountain.

Flights could be affected from Monday.

the wind direction and disposition of the plume of smoke coming from the volcano are expected to change from Monday. “We can’t rule out that this will affect the operations of the airports in Tenerife,” said Blanco.

Military to start clearing ash from Monday i.e. today.

Article includes video footage of fast moving lava carrying huge boulders or other massive debris and a live feed of the eruption.

La Palma on alert after volcanic cone partially collapses

Last edited:
According to BB there is not much to report from yesterday, it was a quiet day apart from several small earthquakes and the continued lava flow which reached the concrete factory. The trade winds are expected to pick up over the next few days and push the ash east.

I don't suppose the camera does it justice, but the lava flow around the 1'45" mark on this vid of the outflow from the cone collapse must have been fantastic to see live.... (not so fantastic to see for the poor buggers with houses in the path of the flow, but as a casual observer it is raw power)

I don't suppose the camera does it justice, but the lava flow around the 1'45" mark on this vid of the outflow from the cone collapse must have been fantastic to see live.... (not so fantastic to see for the poor buggers with houses in the path of the flow, but as a casual observer it is raw power)
Incredible

Tyk

LE

The energy released in all eruptions is astonishing in human terms, in planetary terms it's barely popping a pimple. Mind you the toxic gasses and CO2 outputs of volcanos make human activity look piffling.

Fantastic filming of the event.

A 4.5 magnitude earthquake overnight (around 6 this morning) opened another lava flow. This is a very fast moving flow and is headed to inhabited areas. The town of La Laguna has been rapidly evacuated.
Now over 1500 buildings destroyed with hundreds more affected and over 6,000 people have been evacuated.

Dwarf

LE
A 4.5 magnitude earthquake overnight (around 6 this morning) opened another lava flow. This is a very fast moving flow and is headed to inhabited areas. The town of La Laguna has been rapidly evacuated.
Now over 1500 buildings destroyed with hundreds more affected and over 6,000 people have been evacuated.
From what I have read scientists were surprised by the strength of the new movement and have no idea when this may come to a stop.

What exactly is the Spanish government doing to deal with this blatant breach of international climate change protocols?
I hope they have the decency to hang their heads in shame at COP26.

All flights to La Palma airport have been cancelled due to ash clouds although the airport says it is still operational.
The lava stream heading towards La Laguna appears to be much faster than the other flows at 1300 metres per hour and is about 7 metres wide. Now over 1800 buildings destroyed and almost 2,000 acres destroyed, many of the latter being banana plantations.

There is no news on how long this flow will take to reach the sea although the two tongues heading towards La Laguna are "imminently" about to converge.

Hell's teeth, that's shifting. Tsunami might be an unfortunate word to use, all things considered. Or is someone having a crafty legpull? Olé

PS,any news on the trapped stray dogs? last I heard they were being fed & watered by drone, but no apparent way of extrcting them.
PPS, biscuit to the first joke involving Pen watsisname.

More explosions this afternoon at around 1630 local time with more gases being expulsed

Today

Latest Threads