L96s - Whos getting them?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Biped, Mar 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Righto folks - I'm in the market for a nearly-new, not-slotted-too-many-baddies 7.62 L96.

I knows thems being got rid of, and I know's thems going to be cheaper than new . . . . . . so, anyone, PM me the grids of where I can get my name down for one or more of them . . . . please.

It's worth beers! :D

Edited to add: Various rozzer forces had them for their marksmen for a bit and they offloaded them dirt cheap onto the retail market after a short while, sort of, which was awfully nice for those that managed to grab one (something to do with weight being too much, skills not being adequate and ranges being to short to warrant them allegedly).

If the MOD is going to offload these cookies, I want to be at the front of the queue. I've got a PMII, Harris Bipod and Predator 8 mod stuck on a Tikka at the moment, and it's not quiiiiiite what I want.
  2. I thought they were issuing them out as designated marksmen-type rifles? Or is that jive?
  3. Isn't the DM role taken by the L-86A2 now ?
  4. Well ,thats what i thought-I remember reading that the L86A2 was to be replaced in that role by the old L96s now the L115A3 is in the full sniper role...probably just some ARRSE rumour that got into my conciousness somehow...You'd have to think the L96 would be the better for sniping, but the L86A2 would be more flexible at the section level, having full auto capability...any infanteers able to set me straight on this?
  5. From what i've heard, units are keeping hold of their L96's , but no spares are being made available, so as they wear out, they will not be replaced. On the dsignated marksman weapon, the ability to provide automatic suppressing fire was one of the goals. Also, to all intents and puposes, the tricked-out LSW will not look fundamentaly different to an A2, so not drawing attention ( read enemy sniper) to the SDM.
  6. If you can't get one try a Parker Hale 1200 C clip
  7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

So these units are basically going to use these until they fall apart and then chuck them.

Sounds about right I guess - even though Accuracy will be happy to provide replacement parts!
  8. Thanks for the info Para-dox! Another one for ya, I heard on Small Wars Journal the Yanks used 72-grain 5.56 with their M16-SAMR, are they getting this for the LSW/DMR/whatever its called now?
  9. These are the folks to ask: Disposal Services Authority

If you manage to persuade them to part with a few, I would definitely be interested in one. PM me if you get lucky!
  11. The rifle would stabilise it (SA80 has a 1-7" twist rate for the longer tracer round), but then it's down to procurement to decide if it is worth it.
  12. JINGO

JINGO War Hero Book Reviewer

My bold I think you will find this is not true, I seem to recall that it is verboten for the Police to dispose of any Firearms onto the open market. They either go to other Forces or are destroyed. As for the weight/skills/range, well my Farce still use the AW so not sure about that either. :wink:
  13. L96,s are being used as a pl and company asset by sharp shooters trained in the weapon
  14. I heard that some are going to designated TA Sharp Shooter Platoons. I know of at least one TA inf regiment with an newly formed Sharp Shooter Platoon who are apparently going to be utilising the weapon.
  15. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Thanks bud - I've registered, and I'll fire off an email with my 'needs' tomorrow :wink: