L96A? and the marksman role. A proper rumour!

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by EX_STAB, Aug 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Rumour has it that a new run of L96A? (7.62) is entering production to provide weapons for a new "marksman/sharpshooter" role at Coy level. This is not as a substitute for snipers but more as a fire support asset, I would see it working very well in static defence.

Anyone else heard this rumour?

Will it exist as a role in TA Inf units?

2. The L115 was originally issued as a Pl level weapon, although only for selected units.

With snipers switching to an improved L115 there should be surplus L98s available for other units.

So issuing it as a Pl or Coy level asset to units that do not have L115s is plausible, but I cannot say if it true.

3. Not L98! I would hope our FSP was a little more than a Cadet GP rifle!
    :D

4. Good point, well brought out. I obviously should not be posting this late at night. So I will log off and go to bed :oops: .

5. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

But its a robust, lightweight, weapon, ideal for (cadet) use!

6. I think these will be new builds rather than just a reissue of surplus L96A1s. The original ones are well over twenty years old now and I suspect many are rather tired.

7. They are still well up to the job, the only faults that occur on the L96 that I've run into are stocks breaking and the need to change the legs over now and again. We took a L96 into the workshops for a barrel change a few months back and the armourer there at the time, in the job for 25 years had never seen one changed before. No need to fork out extra money just for having the sake of having the same weapons but shiny and new.

8. Interesting. Just going by what I have heard. To be honest, as the originals had cut rifled barrels I'd be surprised if they had lasted until now. Cut rifled barrels are usually pretty shot out after 2000 rounds or so. Many civvies would change them after a thousand.

9. On Herrick our sharpshooters had L96s while the snipers had L115s

10. Because the weapons are a single shot bolt action the wear on the weapon system on a whole is fairly minimal. We have L96 rifles in our armoury that to my knowledge have not had a single barrel change and are still as accurate as they have ever been.

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Biped was put off the local TA inf as they had abandoned sniping as a discipline which is why he went to join the scaleybacks.

12. I though it was because they made him wash :twisted:

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

There's more chance of that in the scaleys than in crusty land!

14. Come on Mr. Mod, keep it on topic! ;)

15. Barrel wear is a function of the numbers of rounds the weapon has fired rather than the action type. Further to that, practically all full auto/semi auto military weapons have hammer forged barrels which are good for up to 10,000 rounds.

Some manufacturers of sniper rifles use hammer forged barrels. Steyr Mannlicher and Sako are good examples and no serious commentator would suggest that sniper rifles from either manufacturer were of poor quality or innacurate. However, Accuracy International use Cut Rifled barrels from Border barrels, (They did use another source for a while too). These might be made to very precise tolerances and hand finished but they lack the barrel life of a hammer forged barrel.

Hammer forged barrels have a poor reputation in the US mainly because the US custom barrel makers use cut rifling and button rifling (swaging ) techniques and slag off the opposition.

It's certainly true that many hammer forged barrels are not of match quality but the same can be said of cut rifling and button (swaging) techniques.

I have a Sako TRG with a hammer forged, chrome lined barrel. My best result with it was a four round 0.8 inch group at 400 yds. Not a problem with accuracy then and that barrel will be going long after a Border Barrels hand finished cut rifled barrel had been retired.

Anybody know the group sizes expected on the sniper course? It would indicate what was being expected from the weapon system as opposed to the sniper. (Not a lot I suspect)