L8

Is it just me, or is it getting on anyone else's t*ts?!!!! Be glad when it's over and done with. Will only be watching the UB40 part (cos I likes 'em!!) but disappointed they've actually agreed to perform. Cos this concert ain't going to make one little bit of difference to Africa I don't think. Bet all those corrupt leaders are rubbing their hands with glee, thinking "yippee, more aid coming our way, I can buy another mercedes/mansion/jet".

Am I the only evil barsteward who rubbed his hands together when he saw that the weather forecast for L8 is heavy rain?

V!

eve1962 said:
Bet all those corrupt leaders are rubbing their hands with glee, thinking "yippee, more aid coming our way, I can buy another mercedes/mansion/jet".
Well said mate, shame nobody in Office has the kahounas to say that!

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Damn !
I thought this was a thread on the gimpy in a Chieftan...

I hate Bob Geldof, and I hate the superficiality of the Geldof method and I despise those 'celebrities' who link themselves so publicly and so readily with 'noble causes'.

It’s such an easy way to court popularity - shed a few crocodile tears for children and sob for the starving, then donate a few minutes of time which, as a side effect, does wonders for the career, and move on.

And the trouble is this simplistic solution never does any good - Africa’s in a much worse state now than it was during Live Aid 1, which did nothing except line the pockets of corrupt officials, both here, in Africa and most of all - the UN.

It lets people go along with it ("I’ve been to a concert… no need to do anything more") and pretends to solve complex problems with negligible action.

Turn up in Edinburgh, feel great, wave a flag, shout and sing and then go home. Job done. There's a really annoying advert on right now with a young girl telling us all to get onboard - this issue is our issue - feck off.

Lots of media publicity. Great shots and headlines for the tabloids. Stars care so much (comb the hair; get the teeth fixed). That other irritating 'finger-fcuking-clicking' advert on right now is a classic example of the genre.

Then move on - nothing changes, nothing improves but the rabble has had their summer fix of charity and they can return to their comfy, pitifully pointless existences for another year, bickering with their neighbours about crap.

I have real issues with this wretched waste of time - giving money to Africa is like trying to nail custard to a wall.

Africa is dying from corruption, famine and AIDS - they should be grateful they don't have BB as well.

Thing is, I honestly think Geldof cares. He's just turned into a sanctimonious, ego-fuelled, messianic ********. He's lived his life in a showbiz bubble, and that informs his way of doing things (Yes, Bob, now Bob, of course Bob).

He's like a spoilt teenager who refuses to acknowledge the complexities of a problem like Africa and constantly has to reduce it down to simple moral certainties like the "finger clicking" adverts. Knob.

V!

goon_bde said:
eve1962 said:
Bet all those corrupt leaders are rubbing their hands with glee, thinking "yippee, more aid coming our way, I can buy another mercedes/mansion/jet".
Well said mate, shame nobody in Office has the kahounas to say that!
Is it me or is this topic on existing threads already :D

I'm spending al day doing Anything other than listening to Geldof and co.....Hopefully I might be able to get around Ikea while all the tree hugging, beard wearing, flip flop, 3/4 length trouser brigade are holding L8 parties......

I love this piece - not only is Sir Bob 'The Living IRA Supporting Saint' Geldof (see various other threads), he has gone out of his way to make the disabled feel even more disadvantaged. Cnut.

Perhaps they weren't black, diseased, skinny and starving enough for him to care about...

Disabled miss out at Live 8 show

More than half the wheelchair users with tickets for London's Live 8 concert will be unable to attend, due to insufficient allocated space.
Some 300 disabled ticket-holders have applied for 140 available spaces.

Promoters say regulations laid down by Westminster Council restrict their wheelchair-users' platform's capacity.

But the council says the promoters decided the platform's size and it would be happy for it to be widened to accommodate more wheelchair users.

Jane Townsend, of London, told BBC News she was one of more than 300 disabled ticket-holders who had applied for the spaces at the Hyde Park concert on 2 July.

"It is not encouraging for poverty when even disabled people cannot be helped," she added.

Live 8 publicist Bernard Doherty told BBC News a platform had been constructed to offer the best possible view of the stage but its capacity was restricted to 140 wheelchair users and 140 of their carers by regulations laid down by the licensing authority for the event, Westminster Council.

"We are very sorry - but the platform is now full," he added.

But a Westminster Council spokesman told BBC News: "We take umbrage at the suggestion we told them how big the platform could be - that is up to the promoters and should be based on the number of people who want disabled access.

"We are surprised they are saying we are responsible for the decision.

"We would be more than willing for them to widen the platform, provided it satisfied health and safety requirements."

Mr Doherty told BBC News there were already twice as many places allocated to wheelchair users and their carers as there had been at the last annual Prince's Trust Party in the Park concert in Hyde Park, which was attended by 100,000 people.

The existing platform had access to disabled toilets and refreshment stands, and a shuttle bus would carry people to and from free disabled parking spaces, he added.

About 150,000 people have won tickets to the Live 8 concert, following a text message competition.
The story is here.

How about looking after people in this country first, eh Bob? :evil:

I was roped into travelling into town to the Hard Rock Cafe today. We waited half an hour for the tour of their memorabilia, only to find that most of the good stuff (one of Hendrix' guitars, for instance) had bene commandeered by fvcking Live8!! :x

ugly

LE
Bugger me said the actress oe perhaps even the bishop, I thought this thread might have had something to do with the L8 rifle!

ugly

LE
Lucky we are at a 40th and end of 22 yr service party this weekend, will we care about about the weather, will we feck!

hooray...we've got a mess do instead (summer ball). so we can get roaringly drunk and steer clear of santimonious videos about starving kids. those same videos never seem to show fat barstewards like Magabe though huh?

Love it! Love the Army! Love the fact that we have all got more than the brain cells of the entire L* thing and esp crappy Geldoff. Why do they all think that throwing more money at Africa is going to turn it into paradise where everyone has a job, a swing in the back garden, a Ford Foucus and a holiday in Tenerife every year????????????? Pathetic. And does anyone else hate Dido as much as I do?

Hamster said:
And does anyone else hate Dido as much as I do?
Yep - I can't see what's so magical about her music - yeh she can sing and? I would have changed that name for starters.

Good luck to the plods in London today - despite the basstad view I have for most of them, I don't envy them with the handling of L8, Wimbledon, the Cricket, PRIDE march and all other normal activities on the same day. I would expect the criminals out there are have a field day with the majority of them taken up with the above activities :D

Latest Threads