L22A2 SA80 Carbine

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by EX_STAB, May 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The L22A2 must have been in service for a few years now.

[​IMG]

Does anyone actually use it? Has it proved to be of any merit?

2. Issued to regiments in the RAC, a good rifle to shoot but it would help if the weapon racks were also modified in the vehicles to allow the Carbines to fit properly.

3. Helicopter Crews and AFV crews use it. Gotta be better than a Sig or Browning. Fires a full 5.56mm SS109, just poorer accuracy due to the shorter barrel.

4. Yet still has a longer barrel than the M4. :p

5. Goood Point!

6. They were looking at issuing it to R Signals too at one point fairly recently.... anyone know if thats still on the cards?

7. Out of interest, why? :? AFV and chopper crews I can understand.

8. And is that an IMI Galil in the background?

9. Because bleeps don't have the upper body strength to carry a full sized weapon. They all have doll's hands too.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I'm not a fan of it myself, a few of our lads get better scores on APWT with carbine than they did with the rifle though. I just don't like the forward pistol grip, doesn't attach far enough forward for my liking. Apart from that it seems ok for what it is designed for.

11. Surprised it's got a SUSAT fitted. Wouldn't an iron sight make more sense for a short-barreled weapon for close-in self defence?

12. I'm not sure of the rationale behind that. I've never compared carbine and rifle to see if the gas ports are the same distance along the barrel (assuming that if a carbine were to be fitted with iron sights, the foresight would be attached here) I suspect there would be a shorter distance between rear and foresights on a carbine, would this have much of an effect on shooting? Alternatively, it might be SUSAT so the weapon is ready to go into theatre, when we had rifles, I could never understand the point in training with iron sights and then changeing to SUSAT for tour.

13. Our Unit may get them when some deploy to Kabul, and we are not Sigs, Tankies or AAC.

14. It doesn't matter what unit you are, if the job you're doing is easier with a carbine you'll almost certainly get an LSW. :)

They're pretty good up to 300m but anything after that my eye's are screwed so feck knows.

Dog handlers were going to get them on Herrick but I think that might be getting binned because of training costs.

• Like Like x 1
  15. The booties received a number of them, I'm presuming for their Viking crews, but they do seem to have migrated to at least some of their boarding parties down in the Arabian Gulf.