L1A1 for lefties

Very rare but I was told by an armourer that they did develop a new slide/erecter and top cover to make it usable to lefties.

Now has anyone for any pictures to prove this ?

P

PrinceAlbert

The L1A1 was a bag of repetition-only shite! Why can't you old cnuts get past this fact?

Very rare but I was told by an armourer that they did develop a new slide/erecter and top cover to make it usable to lefties.

Now has anyone for any pictures to prove this ?

Surprised,during all the years I used one,always told "if you're a lefty,tough shit,learn to shoot it right handed",oh and I've never seen a left hander,show me a piccy,and I'll believe it! :meditate:

The L1A1 was a bag of repetition-only shite! Why can't you old cnuts get past this fact?
Quite simply, it fired a far better round 7.62mm. Instead of the woefully inadequate 5.56mm. Also you didn't need to do the stupid change hands thing to do basic drills with it. Also it didn't mess up and jam anything like as badly as the current chad valley piece of crap. It could be made to fire Auto if you knew how to do it. Consider this, it was a version of the FN FAL. the FN FAL was widely used around the world because it was a fine piece of kit. How widespread is the use of the SA80 family? And I don't mean our own forces taking it abroad, I mean other countries making it their personal weapon of choice?

Wasn't there that case in the news where one of our soldiers shot a sitting man with three rounds or 5.56mm and the bloke made a complaint about it? Well with 7.62mm he wouldn't be around to complain, if you get my drift.

I remember when the Guards first paraded with these at Buckingham Palace. As they marched off, the square was littered with magazines that had fallen off! That never happened with the SLR. It didn't happen with the 0.303" either for that matter. Why on earth can't you just see the SA80 family for the crap that it is?

just like that 'new' L129A1 is repetition only? you know that one? the none bullpup in 7.62? with ergonomics and layout like an SLR? thats been dragged in on an uor because the L85a2 is shit and cant do the job??
i guess the L129A1 must be absolute shit then too?
who feckin' cares? the only important part of any gat is the nutt behind the butt.

Mongo

LE
Kit Reviewer
Quite simply, it fired a far better round 7.62mm. Instead of the woefully inadequate 5.56mm.
Why is 5.56x45 inadequate?

Also you didn't need to do the stupid change hands thing to do basic drills with it.
I don't know who taught you SAA for the L85 but they were crap at it! You don't need to take your right hand off the pistol grip to perform any drill for the L85.

Also it didn't mess up and jam anything like as badly as the current chad valley piece of crap. It could be made to fire Auto if you knew how to do it.
The L85A2 is one of the most reliable, Western-made assault rifles available. The A1 was shite but times have changed.

Consider this, it was a version of the FN FAL. the FN FAL was widely used around the world because it was a fine piece of kit. How widespread is the use of the SA80 family? And I don't mean our own forces taking it abroad, I mean other countries making it their personal weapon of choice?
I suspect that it isn't as much to do with the capability of the L85 but the piss-poor state of UK small arms manufacturing at the moment. If we had a company like FN Herstal, with the capability for mass producing the L85, we'd likely see more orders.

Wasn't there that case in the news where one of our soldiers shot a sitting man with three rounds or 5.56mm and the bloke made a complaint about it? Well with 7.62mm he wouldn't be around to complain, if you get my drift.
There's a story that a Brit in WW1 took several rounds of 7.92 Mauser to the chest, didn't miss a beat, captured an enemy trench then realised that he should've died several minutes ago and promptly popped his clogs. Point being, it can happen with any round.

I remember when the Guards first paraded with these at Buckingham Palace. As they marched off, the square was littered with magazines that had fallen off! That never happened with the SLR. It didn't happen with the 0.303" either for that matter. Why on earth can't you just see the SA80 family for the crap that it is?
Again, you refer to the L85A1, not the A2. So what if back in the day some magazines fell off in front of Queenie? I doubt she was mortally offended.

RezzaDue

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
Quite simply, it fired a far better round 7.62mm. Instead of the woefully inadequate 5.56mm. Also you didn't need to do the stupid change hands thing to do basic drills with it. Also it didn't mess up and jam anything like as badly as the current chad valley piece of crap. It could be made to fire Auto if you knew how to do it. Consider this, it was a version of the FN FAL. the FN FAL was widely used around the world because it was a fine piece of kit. How widespread is the use of the SA80 family? And I don't mean our own forces taking it abroad, I mean other countries making it their personal weapon of choice?

What change hand drills?? Surely right hand stays on the pistol grip and the left hand does everything else?

There was no need for a left handed one, as you could fire and carry out the drills left handed.
Both right and left handed soldiers were taught to fire the weapon from either shoulder.

P

PrinceAlbert

Listen to all the old crusties bleating about the "new fangled" rifle, and how bad it is. With their views based on well out of date quips that they probably heard from another old twat at the RBL bar.

The SA80 is far better than the L1........end of.

I fired the SLR as a lefty with no problems. Far easier than having to curl your hand over to work the bolt on a .303.

The SA80 is far better than the L1........end of.
then why has it had to be supplemented in current opperations with a none bullpup rifle (the L129A1) thats in the same bigger calibre and with the same ergonomic layout as that 'shit' SLR??

then why has it had to be supplemented in current opperations with a none bullpup rifle (the L129A1) thats in the same bigger calibre and with the same ergonomic layout as that 'shit' SLR??
Because the supplement is a UOR for "The WAR" not "A WAR".

RezzaDue

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
Thats like saying why did the boys in the falklands need arty, mortars and any other support weapons? Because clearly the SLR didnt need any of it

P

PrinceAlbert

The L129A1 was bought into service to provide a good accurate shot at a greater range than the SA80. It was to enable the section to give accurate fire without the aid of a sniper.

Not because the SA80 is shit, or innacurate. The design if the SA80 (being a bullpup) has **** all to do with it. The M95 .50 cal is a bullpup design, as is the WA2000, along with the Draganuv.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Casselton Weapons, Equipment & Rations 68
Hols4Heroes Charity Auctions 23
Oddbod Military History and Militaria 0