L1A1 fitted with moderator/silencer

Was the SLR ever officially fitted with a moderator or silencer?

I'm aware that subsonic rounds would be needed to truly reduce the sound of the weapon firing but would this not also present issues - with cycling, accuracy and so forth?

Indeed has anyone ever seen a 7.62 ball subsonic round? I know they exist within the civilian world but the only reference I can find to a 7.62mm NATO round was a US Army round designated: XM115 which was apparently 'silent'. Naturally the Israelis produce one too!

I'm not doing a bit of cheap research for a Journo's half arrsed article - this query is the result of a colleague's claim that he's seen 'silenced' R1 rifles during the SWAPO conflict.

just asking....

Sorry not a real answer but there is a photo in the 44 Parachute Brigade 'The Philistines' book of a 'silenced' rifle but cannot remember which one , either a R1 or a R4. I'll have a look .

Sorry not a real answer but there is a photo in the 44 Parachute Brigade 'The Philistines' book of a 'silenced' rifle but cannot remember which one , either a R1 or a R4. I'll have a look .

The R1 and R4 look quite different: I've seen quite a few photos of the R4 with a moderator fitted. It's based (made under licence?) on the IMI Galil I think and no doubt the Israeli's were quick to fit one. Although if they want to leg-shoot Arab kids undetected nowadays they use high powered air-rifles.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
perfectly feasible you just need a huge can on the end like a pringles tin. a bit bigger than this one though.

CIMG0512.jpg

simpler to carry a silenced .22 bolt action and use that if you want proper quiet. a lot of suppressors used rubber inserts which were only good for a dozen shots before it got noisy.

I did see something somewhere ages ago about a suppressed m60.

perfectly feasible you just need a huge can on the end like a pringles tin. a bit bigger than this one though.

View attachment 113045

simpler to carry a silenced .22 bolt action and use that if you want proper quiet. a lot of suppressors used rubber inserts which were only good for a dozen shots before it got noisy.

I did see something somewhere ages ago about a suppressed m60.
Thanks GG.

I understand that it's entirely feasible but I was interested in knowing if a moderated L1A1 ever issued - and did subsonic ball exist (has anyone actually got their mitts on it).

S

syledis

Just add an LMG mag and a suit sight and you have a rifle that makes women pregnant just by walking past it in the gun rack!

The R1 and R4 look quite different: I've seen quite a few photos of the R4 with a moderator fitted. It's based (made under licence?) on the IMI Galil I think and no doubt the Israeli's were quick to fit one. Although if they want to leg-shoot Arab kids undetected nowadays they use high powered air-rifles.

Yes I know they look different .:) the photo is of 2 R4s fitted with one.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
there were silenced m14s kicking around in nam and we had silencers for 7.62 tucked away so no reason why the saffers wouldn't tinker with an fn - probably brought over by the rhodesians. the selous scouts got very kinky with their stuff.

you can hang a simple suppressor on anything but properly shrouding the barrel to make it manageable is another thing entirely.

Seen at my local:

L1AI suppressed.jpg

308 subsonic.jpg
[FONT=&quot]SUBSONIC, will not cycle semi-autos
16" Barrel
Caliber: .308 Winchester
Grain Weight: 168 gr
Bullet: A-Max
Muzzle Velocity: 990 fps
Muzzle Energy: 365 ft/lbs
Energy 100 Yards: 339 ft/lbs
Velocity 100 Yards: 954 fps
Energy 200 Yards: 317 ft/lbs
Velocity 200 Yards: 922 fps
Energy 300 Yards: 298 ft/lbs
Velocity 300 Yards: 894 fps[/FONT]

Waaaaay back in the early '70's I recall an SBS gent 'Gilly' playing with one on the ranges at Poole. It was a project in progress and as I recall, ammo was a sticking point.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
good call then, apparently we still had brand new stock.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
The issued silencer was called a bayonet...
only because we were never given rounds for it. most of the time we never got the bayonet either.

Great information - thanks very much. This all proves that my pal was correct and that I'm a horse's arse.

Here's an R4 without a moderator that I'd swapped for an R2 in Namibia - on an anti poaching job. The R2 was fully auto and was basically for scaring Lion - and anyone who fired it on auto.
Namib.jpg

BTW The Bay City Roller hair is because we'd been in the bush for a couple of months and I didn't trust the blokes to cut it

In about 1992 I converted an SLR to take a suppressor for an 'official project'. As far as I know, it's still sitting on a rack somewhere.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Casselton Weapons, Equipment & Rations 68
Hols4Heroes Charity Auctions 23
Oddbod Military History and Militaria 0