L1A1 Barrel Profile / Drawing wanted

I`ve got the bits together to build a straight pull version of "That Rifle" , I`ll be having a barrel made and could do with a drawing with original dimensions , , also what was the twist rate ?

ugly

LE
The Royal Armouries NFC will have the SAID drawings, they will scan them for a small fee!

I would have thought that any graphic depictions or representations of That Rifle would be considered a proscribed taboo, rather in the way of those of the Prophet Muhammad and similarly be subject to fatwa and punishable by death.

ugly

LE
I would have thought that any graphic depictions or representations of That Rifle would be considered a proscribed taboo, rather in the way of those of the Prophet Muhammad and similarly be subject to fatwa and punishable by death.
Some of us are considered to be chosen ones, capable of raising cain with that cartridge,

Had a reply from the Royal Armouries

" my understanding is that the L1A1 was made under license from FN in Belgium, and the intellectual property rights to the design drawings still reside with them. We cannot therefore supply you with any drawings without their permission. "

Its not a massive deal , worse case scenario I`ll get hold of a de act and throw the vernier over it , having a drawing would make life easier though.

There’s a few posts in here:
http ://www.falfiles.com/forums/
http ://www.fnfal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52692
One turn in 12 inches, to the best of my knowledge is the twist. Every time I have tried to get a good accurate measure of mine I end up with 11.75, go figure.
Plus the below:
http: //thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=997954

Both previous posters are correct. The FN manual for the L1A1 states that it has 4 grooves RH turn 1 in 12" twist. The Century L1A1 manual for the sporter states the same except that it lists 6 grooves.

ugly

LE

" my understanding is that the L1A1 was made under license from FN in Belgium, and the intellectual property rights to the design drawings still reside with them. We cannot therefore supply you with any drawings without their permission. "

Its not a massive deal , worse case scenario I`ll get hold of a de act and throw the vernier over it , having a drawing would make life easier though.
Odd that they are willing to share these drawings when you ask the national firearms centre not the actual armouries!
Mind you all of my old drawings I had sent were for webleys and No1 MkV rear sights!

What an incredibly jobsworthy, gold-plated answer. The only possible IP rights to the drawing are copyright. And they're presuming that the barrel profile was determined by FN and not Enfield....

I bet the drawing is Crown copyright, and the Crown isn't interested in a rifle that completely left the service almost 30 years ago...

I forgot that @clayp1g and I had these, from doing research on early .280 models. @gloworm may be able to assist with dimensions if you ask him nicely!
Mine has a turned down Walther Lothar barrel to original dimensions, I will run a micrometer over it on Thursday, I am out tomorrow evening I’m afraid.
PM inbound to original poster

4(T)

LE

I don't think they are correct. The design of the "inch" FAL developed by ABC (Australia Britain Canada) was passed by FN to the Crown as the Commonwealth had carried out the development work and conversion. Adoption of the FAL by the Commonwealth gave FN tremendous market leverage with their own production, so they were happy to give up the royalties. IIRC it was the same arrangement as had resulted in the Bren being Crown property.

Actually, you could email Ian Skennerton in Australia. I bet that the Lithgow drawings for the L1A1 are public domain down under. Lithgow museum itself is also online.

What an incredibly jobsworthy, gold-plated answer. The only possible IP rights to the drawing are copyright. And they're presuming that the barrel profile was determined by FN and not Enfield....

I bet the drawing is Crown copyright, and the Crown isn't interested in a rifle that completely left the service almost 30 years ago...
I thought the RN still had a few for firing lines between ships.

I thought the RN still had a few for firing lines between ships.
I'm afraid the RN now uses L85's and as far as I'm aware has done since its introduction in RN service, Line firing L85's are regular L85's. The only difference being they shouldn't be fired with regular ammunition untill a full MEI (inspection) has been conducted on the weapon once Ballestite ammunition has been put through it.

Mine has a turned down Walther Lothar barrel to original dimensions, I will run a micrometer over it on Thursday, I am out tomorrow evening I’m afraid.
PM inbound to original poster
Email received , just what I needed , many thanks.

Latest Threads