L1A1 .280/30 Barrels?

Zulu95

Swinger
My buddy, the gunsmith, has a couple of small caliber L1A1 barrels he picked up 30 years ago in a clearance auction. They were new and had metal tags but no indication as to the actual caliber. He miked one and it was not 7.92 X 33. He is now wondering if they could be .280/30 barrels.
He has built hundreds of FALs and L1A1s over the years and would like to get any info on the early L1A1 and any differences in the receiver/bolt for the .280 round.

CC_TA

LE
If he used a micrometer and it wasn't 7.92 x 33; what was it?
Where were the measurements taken from and to?
Calibre is measured across opposite lands - chamber dimensions are slightly more complicated.
Might be better to take an impression of the chamber, lead & the start of the lands and measure that. (Then lob it on some 1mm squared background and grab some pics for us to have a glipmers.)

Zulu95

Swinger
I'll have to see what I can get him to produce as he is buried in closing out a gunstore and build/modding customer guns.
I'll try and prod him into getting more info ASAP.

ugly

LE
Were they chambered? Blanks don’t often come chambered!

Zulu95

Swinger
These had been previously used barrels or prepped to be so. They came in a lot of about 60lbs of FAL/L1A1 "stuff' my buddy bought at auction from a guy getting out of the business after many years. He used a lot of the parts he bought in builds over the years.
He has been building/repairing firearms for 40 odd years and has the FFL to do so. He mentioned the two barrels to me the other day stating he had them and had come across them again when moving 13 years ago. When I have more info I'll post it.

Latest Threads