L129A1 Question

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by cbreedon, Sep 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I live in America and have a question to soldiers serving with the L129A1 rifle. How is the reliability and how do you like the rifle? The reason I ask is that I am considering buying the civilian version in the US and would like to hear some feedback.

2. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Why? Do you also have issues enaging insurgents at ranges greater than 600m in whatever part of surburbia you hail from? Have you thought of utilising either a fully automatic belt fed weapon or failing that something in the 40mm automatic grenade launcher such as the Milkor multi shot or perhaps something in a 60mm patrol mortar?

These area effect weapons may be more in line with what you are looking for I feel - the L129A1 might fall short of the required effect.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Schaden, where's your imagination? He's a Yank;
  4. the L129a1 was seriously tested against the other weapons in its class ( FN SCAR, HK 417) and beat all on accuracy/reliability/cost.

..........got my vote.
  5. I have dual English / US citizenship actually :) I understand that most Brits think that only the forces should have firearms. All my English relatives think I am crazy for having them....

I collect firearms and don't have any 7.62 rifles and I wanted one.

I have a 5.56 LMT rifle and I like it, so I was looking at their 7.62 rifle which is basically the L129a1. So I was just curious if it was as well - made and reliable as the 5.56 one I have.

Mark I like your mini gun idea. Can't have full auto unless I move to another state. I was able to shoot a Minimi in Las Vegas.
  6. I am most sympathetic that the draconian gun legislation in your state prevents ownership of fully automatic weapons.

However, upon hearing of your proposed purchase I bet the dicky birds and bunny rabbits in your back yard are shitting themselves!

A word of advice however, please stay away from University clock towers and go and get your head tested.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Bushmills, the last time I hunted anything was around 1985 and it WAS a rabbit with a .22. ;-). There is a Space Needle nearby but traffic is a pain so I'll give that a pass....

Seriously I figured I might take some stick for asking this but I wanted an opinion of someone who had handled the rifle. Some guys collect motorbikes, others women, I collect guns. It's not that strange in the US.

My guns are stored and kept safe until I go to the range.

8. "Firearm injury in the United States has averaged 32,538 deaths annually between 1970 and 2002
    (See Figure 1).2,3 It is the second leading cause of death from injury after motor vehicle crashes
    and, in several states, is the leading cause of injury death.4 An estimated two nonfatal injuries
    occur for every firearm death.5,6 Firearms are involved in approximately 65% of homicides, 55%
    of suicides, 40% of robberies, and 20% of aggravated assaults.7,3 The fatality rate of firearm
    violence is similar to HIV, which is recognized as an epidemic by the Centers for Disease
    Control and Prevention (CDC), and is more than twice as high as the U.S. Department of Health
    and Human Services’ “Healthy People” goals for the year 2010."

9. It is one thing using the weapon on a two way range and another to shoot beer cans at the "Hill Billy Gun (and low IQ Club) for the owners of very small penes".

I am not against gun ownership, I just find it alarming that the yanks don't restrict ownership to the sane and responsible.

PS I suspect collecting women and motorbikes would be more fun.
  10. Bushmills, Yes people can use guns to kill. My guns have killed no one and unless I am a victim of a home invasion will probably never be used in anger, unless the zombie apocalypse happens.

Do you have an opinion on the L129A1 rifle?
  11. .........yeh. theres no guns in the UK.
  12. I am sure that it will provide you, and your family, with hours of fun!
  13. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Anyone that purchases a military type firearm issued after 1960 or so is...well lets just say he's not the sort of chap you want to join one's club.

Edited due to the late hour...and with thanks to Mr Bushmills
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I have no doubt that shooting beer cans is easier than the two way street some of you have seen. I have several ex-servicemen friends and relatives. My brother in law was in Desert Storm. One of my drinking buddies was in the USMC in Iraq. I have the utmost respect for those in the forces.

A gun owner should be very responsible and I agree that there are quite a few people who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near one. I was hoping that my question wouldn't be dragged into a gun debate. "The Cousins" have differing views on gun ownership and I don't think we will change each others minds. If you are ever in Seattle, look me up and I will buy you a drink.