L129 accidentally firing bursts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ugly

LE
And for interest the 40mm M79 grenade launcher had to be loaded before safe could be engaged.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
Actually the safety was automatic in that it self applied on opening in the same way that shotgun auto safeties work. Thinking that you had to apply the safety led to at least one ND in an OP during my service but not by me!

Gun_Doc

Old-Salt
Sometimes lower powered ammo will do this , also "bump" firing.
@Lost_Boy as above "bump fire". I had this issue with our sharpshooters, if the firer doesn't grip the rifle firm enough the weight of the recoil bounces the trigger back onto the trigger finger to fire what is perceived to be a burst. I had a similar drama finding the answer which came from the snipers hide forum and explained that as firers are not used to the heavier recoil and sensitive trigger bump firing occurs.
Search bump firing/shooting on YouTube and the Muricans have made this into a feature for semi auto weapons.

Lost_Boy

Old-Salt
Cheers, bud. Nice to see a reply from someone who's actually used the weapon!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

@Lost_Boy as above "bump fire". I had this issue with our sharpshooters, if the firer doesn't grip the rifle firm enough the weight of the recoil bounces the trigger back onto the trigger finger to fire what is perceived to be a burst
;) ...so much for a positive and confident trigger action... ;)

Reassure me that there is still widespread teaching of "on firing, hold the trigger to the rear until after the working parts return; as you release the trigger pressure, you should feel the sear reengage with a clunk"? On both the SLR and SA80, it gives an immediate indication that the weapon has recocked correctly (in the case of SA80, tells you that your magazine is now empty and holding open) - you start the IA immediately, you don't need to wait until your next trigger pull fails to make a *BANG*...

CC_TA

LE
Eh no..

Weapon handling drills now require you to carry out a "function test" after reassembling a weapon to make sure that the main functions such as the safety catch and the fire selector switch are working correctly. In other words this fault should have been picked up before the weapon was fired..

If a function fails either on the function test or when firing, then the weapon should be made safe and passed to REME for inspection. The weapon only needs to be placed in quarantine if there is an accident.
Weapons should be quarantined* until unit armourer inspects if a fault is reported. * UECD dependent.

If there is a suspected ND the weapon should only be cleared and quarantined until a class 1 armourers inspects it. (Also it is not to be cleaned or stripped and it must not be presented to the armourers by the user.

CC_TA

LE
Calm down mate..- why are you claiming this is an ND...?

If it is a double tap, there is not an issue of negligence... it is an equipment failure, and the gun needs to be inspected before it is put back in use..

Unless of course the individual failed to carry out the mandated function test before going on the range.. which was the point I was trying to make.. however even this is not classed as an ND - this is an error of drill.

If there had been an accident or an ND, yes the weapon needs to be quarantined because there are legal implications and the weapon has become evidence. But this is not the case that the OP is (apparently!) reporting..
Everything should be classed as an error in drills = less paperwork! :)

Weapons should be quarantined* until unit armourer inspects if a fault is reported. * UECD dependent.

If there is a suspected ND the weapon should only be cleared and quarantined until a class 1 armourers inspects it. (Also it is not to be cleaned or stripped and it must not be presented to the armourers by the user.
The infantry units I was attached to were spot on when it came to this, primarily because the guys running the ranges knew it really isn't worth their career in cocking it up.

Alright gents,

Has anyone experienced the L129 firing a burst of 2 or 3 rounds with a single trigger pull? If so, any idea what the cause is?
Just make sure you have 2 or 3 targets, job done.

Failing that buy a pea shooter.

CC_TA

LE
The infantry units I was attached to were spot on when it came to this, primarily because the guys running the ranges knew it really isn't worth their career in cocking it up.
Same here, 4 Jockery and 3 Mexicanos had some bloody good lads and grown-ups on the SS course and users were spot on.

joey magoo

Old-Salt
It won't be the ammunition. Do you have a very light hold on the rifle? Are you very light/skinny?
The ammunition could be a source of the issue. If it was improperly loaded with pistol primers or benchrest primers. I've seen various semiauto rifles do a burst or more with such sensitive primers. The US military in trials of the AR way back noted the primers originally used were sensitive enough to cause slam fires and the occassional out of battery kaboom.
I have firsthand seen small pistol primer loaded 5,56 make an AR go fast most rikki tik as the floating firing pin followed through just enough. The M1 rifle and the FN49 both should be used with milspec primers as they are unforgiving with sensitive primers due to their firing pin arrangements. I have seen rejected M14 and AR internals being marketed as 'new surplus' over the years and when installed the rather sloppy safety and occassional hammer drop when the bolt locked up did cause automatic fire. On a sidenote a well used AR15/M16 can be made to seem like an emma gee with a real fast booger hook action. I had a drill Sgt step on my helmeted head while doing the fire and manuever using blanks and had that M16 sounding like it was on FA. Mind you I already had an AR15 before I went in so it was a very familiar rifle to me.

The ammunition could be a source of the issue. If it was improperly loaded with pistol primers or benchrest primers. I've seen various semiauto rifles do a burst or more with such sensitive primers. The US military in trials of the AR way back noted the primers originally used were sensitive enough to cause slam fires and the occassional out of battery kaboom.
I have firsthand seen small pistol primer loaded 5,56 make an AR go fast most rikki tik as the floating firing pin followed through just enough. The M1 rifle and the FN49 both should be used with milspec primers as they are unforgiving with sensitive primers due to their firing pin arrangements. I have seen rejected M14 and AR internals being marketed as 'new surplus' over the years and when installed the rather sloppy safety and occassional hammer drop when the bolt locked up did cause automatic fire. On a sidenote a well used AR15/M16 can be made to seem like an emma gee with a real fast booger hook action. I had a drill Sgt step on my helmeted head while doing the fire and manuever using blanks and had that M16 sounding like it was on FA. Mind you I already had an AR15 before I went in so it was a very familiar rifle to me.
Fùck off Joey.

ugly

LE
Right if you cant behave I'll take away your toys. Take it to the naafi

Status
Not open for further replies.