L129 accidentally firing bursts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we used M16A1 in the '80s, the drill was

On 'load' you cocked the wpn, rotated the change lever to safe, put the mag on
On 'action' you cocked the wpn,
On instant, set the change lever to fire and wait

The M16A1 never had a mag on it without being set to safe, I'm surprised there was any other drill that had the change lever in the fire position with a mag on, but nothing in the chamber

?

What army is this?

gafkiwi

War Hero

The M16A1 never had a mag on it without being set to safe, I'm surprised there was any other drill that had the change lever in the fire position with a mag on, but nothing in the chamber
Same drill in the NZDF for our LMT DMW rifle and will be the same when our MARS-L's replace the Steyr later this year. SIG offered what they called a "Euro Trigger" as an option with the 516 that can go to safe without being actioned. Issue was it means you have a different method of operation to all other AR15's and would also need to retrofit all the current issue DMW's to make it the same.

Last edited:

JINGO

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Same drill in the NZDF for our LMT DMW rifle and will be the same when our MARS-L's replace the Steyr later this year. SIG offered what they called a "Euro Trigger" as an option with the 516 that can go to safe without being actioned. Issue was it means you have a different method of operation to all other AR15's and would also need to retrofit all the current issue DMW's to make it the same.
I believe they are fitting these triggers to the HK416s my Farce has just replaced the G36 with. This has caused some issues when the courses are being run with my old teams original 416s where the drills were as described. Not my problem now though

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Interesting.

Makes complete sense of course.

I still have an old issue "Rifle 5.56mm AR15" manual from 1982 somewhere. I'll check that when home.

I can think of one incident where that drill would have made the difference.

And for interest the 40mm M79 grenade launcher had to be loaded before safe could be engaged.

gafkiwi

War Hero
We were still using M-79's until around 1998 when the Steyr/M-203 was developed. Unsure if they were different versions, but the safety would automatically go to safe when you pushed the barrel locking lever and cracked open the barrel if it wasn't already on safe.

We were still using M-79's until around 1998 when the Steyr/M-203 was developed. Unsure if they were different versions, but the safety would automatically go to safe when you pushed the barrel locking lever and cracked open the barrel if it wasn't already on safe.
I think ours dated from around 1965.

gafkiwi

War Hero
Ours were about the same used from around Vietnam until replaced by M16/M203's in early to mid 70's and then into war stores and brought back into service when the Steyr came into service in 89 to 1998 ish when the Steyr M-203 came on line.

Had an issue with a jammed "floating" firing pin in an AR15 in 1982. (It had become "fixed" due to dirt) The bloke fired all five rounds in the magazine when making ready.
He was not impressed and went back to his L1A1.
If I recall correctly, cock-hook-look on L1A1 did not involve safety, if you then needed to put it on safe - before playing with the gas or whatever (? it was a long time ago) - then it would not actually be safe and would fire with a relatively gentle knock. Possibly the RCT depot had shagged out rifles? On reflection, it may have been due to putting the safety on before allowing the working parts forward? It did not seem a blameless weapon anyway.

Edit: WTF is the OP doing using a weapon known to be imperfect? S/he isn't in the middle of WW3 with no alternative.

Alright gents,

Has anyone experienced the L129 firing a burst of 2 or 3 rounds with a single trigger pull? If so, any idea what the cause is?

You don't "pull" a trigger.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

If I recall correctly, cock-hook-look on L1A1 did not involve safety, if you then needed to put it on safe - before playing with the gas or whatever (? it was a long time ago) - then it would not actually be safe and would fire with a relatively gentle knock. Possibly the RCT depot had shagged out rifles? On reflection, it may have been due to putting the safety on before allowing the working parts forward? It did not seem a blameless weapon anyway.

Edit: WTF is the OP doing using a weapon known to be imperfect? S/he isn't in the middle of WW3 with no alternative.
ImageUploadedByARRSE1466663465.384184.jpg

Never had an issue with the L1A1. (Apart from my first ever shot, when the flash hider split!!)

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
If a function fails either on the function test or when firing, then the weapon should be made safe and passed to REME for inspection.
A complete unload followed by a complete load, or put in a safe condition ?
;-)

HE117

LE
A complete unload followed by a complete load, or put in a safe condition ?
;-)
OK.. I saw that, and speculated whether or not to change it, but decided to see how long the sharks would take..

...took you a couple of days!

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
OK.. I saw that, and speculated whether or not to change it, but decided to see how long the sharks would take..

...took you a couple of days!
Only just seen the thread else my noah impression would have struck faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads