L129 accidentally firing bursts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
If you will forgive the question, what is bumpfire? And what is the point of a bumpfire stock as in that video?

Also, what is BEEFS? It's possible I know this as another term, but not heard that before?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Sorry mate - where's the change lever on a L129?

My apologies. I thought it was an assault rifle. Never used it didn't exist when I were in.

Safety sear it is, then.

If you will forgive the question, what is bumpfire? And what is the point of a bumpfire stock as in that video?

Also, what is BEEFS? It's possible I know this as another term, but not heard that before?

Function check usually carried out on reassembly, after cleaning. Barrel, extractor, ejector, firing pin, safety catch, sear.

HE117

LE
Bumpfire is basically using the recoil to cycle the trigger and make a semi automatic fire like a full auto..

In semiautomatic, a lever (or sear) catches the hammer while the trigger is depressed and is only released when you take pressure off the trigger so making you take another deliberate pull of the trigger to fire the weapon.

Bumpfiring is using the recoil pulse to take the pressure off the trigger allowing the gun to cycle in full auto. Some badly adjusted or badly worn weapons will do this unintentionally, however you can also design the stock to do this deliberately.. (see above..)

In simple terms is is a way of circumventing the ban on full auto in some states.. allowing you to waste your money faster and (allegedly) become attractive to the opposite sex.. (other lifestyle choices are available...)

Last edited:
Calm down mate..- why are you claiming this is an ND...?

If it is a double tap, there is not an issue of negligence... it is an equipment failure, and the gun needs to be inspected before it is put back in use..

Unless of course the individual failed to carry out the mandated function test before going on the range.. which was the point I was trying to make.. however even this is not classed as an ND - this is an error of drill.

If there had been an accident or an ND, yes the weapon needs to be quarantined because there are legal implications and the weapon has become evidence. But this is not the case that the OP is (apparently!) reporting..
Assuming it is a fault on the weapon, he has still said the weapon has subsequently done the same. Meaning he is aware the weapon has an issue but has allowed it to be fired again. If that is indeed the case yet again it can lead to a case of career stops.

Sounds to be some shoddy practices going on.

gafkiwi

War Hero
Cheers for that. The NZDF version does. It wasn't a requirement for the NZDF UOR but its what LMT offered at the time and was easier to leave it in than change it out to meet timelines. They kept it the same when it came online as a standard issue marksman rifle.

Had an issue with a jammed "floating" firing pin in an AR15 in 1982. (It had become "fixed" due to dirt) The bloke fired all five rounds in the magazine when making ready.
He was not impressed and went back to his L1A1.

As I remember the AR15 couldn't be put on safe till it was made ready.

HE117

LE
Assuming it is a fault on the weapon, he has still said the weapon has subsequently done the same. Meaning he is aware the weapon has an issue but has allowed it to be fired again. If that is indeed the case yet again it can lead to a case of career stops.

Sounds to be some shoddy practices going on.
For sure... :)

Had an issue with a jammed "floating" firing pin in an AR15 in 1982. (It had become "fixed" due to dirt) The bloke fired all five rounds in the magazine when making ready.
He was not impressed and went back to his L1A1.

As I remember the AR15 couldn't be put on safe till it was made ready.

Correct, cannot be put on safe until made ready. Annoying.

I did see a recent write up for a replacement trigger mech. which addresses that as an issue.

Jeeze op its so simple. Stick your thumb over the end of the barrel after the first round exits. Job done.

Could have been over applying his safety.................

Could have been over applying his safety.................

I always chuckled at that scene.
So what has Steele seen? A CAR 15 with a magazine fitted?

Safety off?

How does he know if it's made ready or not?

When we used M16A1 in the '80s, the drill was

On 'load' you cocked the wpn, rotated the change lever to safe, put the mag on
On 'action' you cocked the wpn,
On instant, set the change lever to fire and wait

The M16A1 never had a mag on it without being set to safe, I'm surprised there was any other drill that had the change lever in the fire position with a mag on, but nothing in the chamber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads