L11 Chieftain gun

Was it "King of the Killing Zone"?

As far as I know, the L11 wasn't involved in the final shoot-off trials in the US. The requirement was for a gun that fired one-piece ammunition, and therefore RARDE entered the experimental M13A, which ended up coming a very close second to the Rheinmetall 120mm.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
Yeah been reading up on this; EXP19-M13A was produced hurriedly for the trial but did very well. I was surprised that the 110mm was in trials as well, not Aberdeen USA but Kirkbudbright and Shoeburyness, involving M68 and Rheinmetal 120mm-prior to the 1976 trials.

Yeah been reading up on this; EXP19-M13A was produced hurriedly for the trial but did very well. I was surprised that the 110mm was in trials as well, not Aberdeen USA but Kirkbudbright and Shoeburyness, involving M68 and Rheinmetal 120mm-prior to the 1976 trials.
Apparently the 110mm EXP-14 firing APDS outperformed 120mm L11/L15.

IMHO, if RARDE had seen the writing on the wall earlier and taken up APFSDS research, the NATO standard tank gun might have stayed British!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I just loved the smell ... Always go a little misty eyed went I smell hot diesel, burning clutches, nitro cellulose and beer.

WOT is an arcade excuse for cash hauling Russian gits that has very little historical is realistic merit. (Yes, I am the WOT ARRSE clan commander)

Totally off topic, but a rare picture;

Can you see what it is yet kids?

I just loved the smell ... Always go a little misty eyed went I smell hot diesel, burning clutches, nitro cellulose and beer.

WOT is an arcade excuse for cash hauling Russian gits that has very little historical is realistic merit. (Yes, I am the WOT ARRSE clan commander)
Know if you can move your profile from server to another?

That would be some shoot. Considering you would have to firing off the QE soght the elevation would have to be in excess of +20º. So the loader would effectively be loading almost bent double to slide it into the breech. I've not been in a Cent turret, but I would call 'Myth' if someone told me that story was for a Cheiftain.

But would take ages considering where it's all stored. The turret would look like it's being controlled by an ADHD kid on Starburst, traversing to reach all those little hidey-holes. God man, on a full load where would we put all the beer???
Gunnery Gods I imagine,one piece ammo stacked vertically on floor,Gorilla loading,does sound unrealistic and not recommended on Battle Run.You had to be there ,man.

I couldn't be arrsed going through the whole thread but while I know the CR2 has what's designated as the L30A1, I've been inside one and I can tell you now it's the same piece. I couldn't see any differences externally. Ok they've maybe improved the recoil or something, maybe the recoil indicator doesn't drop out onto the floor anymore when your fire sabot, or maybe they've tweaked the eyelets on the mantlet cover or something but it's the same gun.

EDIT: I went to Wikipedia after making my post and found out just about anything I think a gamer would need to know, including the regular ammo list for the L11A5, which was the Chieftain gun.

The only thing which was missing really was the extended list of ammo which we had a wee booklet for and contained all sorts of oddities which I doubt MOD even had in stock.

Last edited:
^ Different gat mate, still 55 calibre but that's about it. 40 odd years of Industrial innovation etc. 7t more pressure, obturator pads instead of rings.

^ Different gat mate, still 55 calibre but that's about it. 40 odd years of Industrial innovation etc. 7t more pressure, obturator pads instead of rings.
Ah I see. Thank you kind sir. You'll appreciate no doubt that I didn't get to examine the obturation when I was inside it.

To be honest, it felt so small. I made a comment to one of my mates to that effect. He took the opportunity to remind me that I wasn't a fat bastard when I was a loader/operator in a Chieftain.

First time I was in the M1, the original with the L7, you could walk from the loader's side to the gunner's seat!