L10A1 Tripflare possible bone question

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by waitout, Sep 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. No Wah and apologies if this is a bone question and has been asked before.

The Safety pin on the spring arm, what is it actually supposed to do?

we spent ages trying different ways to secure the spring/wire and anything else that might need to be safe yet it doesn't seem to make anything safe.

Even asked the local know it all but got nothing.

Looking in the pam it skips over it, no pic or suggestion about its role.

Am I being particularly bone and missing the obvious?
  2. I may be wrong but was it there to stop you over tensioning the spring thus setting the little charmer off?
  3. I assume you mean the one connecting the two arms that stop you from over extending the spring. Without this restraint you could a. pull the spring too far and stop it working and b. the clamp could be pulled beyond the clamp on the flare. Bear in mind that this flare may need to be put up in total darkness by touch and was designed in the days when II and TI where but dreams.
  4. Forgotten mate. Sorry. I cache dumped my military knowledge after i left.
  5. So its there as a stop for the spring?

seem as little over kill.

This is the section referencing the safety pin.

"Pass the tripwire around the clamp on the spring arm. Draw the wire tight
    until the spring is extended to the limit of the spring link and then secure the wire by tightening the clamp wing nut. Remove and retain the spring arm safety pin."
  6. Ok I missed the obvious makes sense, especially at night.
  7. Keep hold off it and dont lose it. You'll look a cnut disassembling without it. :D
  8. Yeah took that bit out thought it was bad enough I had the section avaliable to insert here, than be a complete pam Nazi :)
  9. Never really got to grips with trip flares myself. The one and only time I set one was on a course; I crawed out in front of a deliberate ambush to set one with an RRW guy. It wasn't until we were both out on the track in the dark, out of earshot from the DS that we realised neither of us had a clue how to set the damn thing.

We were like the key stone cops, fumbling around in the dark trying to work it out. In the end, having messed around with spring arms and wing nuts we just pulled the wire tight and did paper scissors stone to see who would pull the pin! Fortunately it didn't go off but I never went near one again.
  10. Defo not a bone question.

Its all to do with being able to place tension on the wire without initiating the flare (a common problem with the Mk3/1).

The spring carrier holds the wire at the correct tension, incorporated in the spirng carrier is a setter which prevents over extension of the extension spring (part of the spring carrier) during set up the setter is held in place by the safety pin. Once correct tension is achieved the pin from the setter is removed.
  11. Half of the above posts suggest no one has ever trained on a drill/inert flare. A live one can be turned into a training aid very easily but would probable breach H&S rules in this day & age.
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Used to be one of the skills tests for upgrade to grade 1 from grade 2 infantry soldier, optional to set and arm a Claymore, (prePJAD days). Also a make or break on JNCO cadres as you had to pass the Grade 1 test on the first week to continue in my old Bn. Seems some skills just fall by the wayside.
  13. I was at Brecon when the new electrical on came out it was simply thrown at us and we were told to crack on, even the DS had only just started to see them.

Setting ups never been a problem, have just always wondered what the pin was actually doing as it has no direct effect on the tensioning of the wire.
  14. Don't let my poor efforts give you the wrong idea, flares just aren't an officer sport - I'm sure all the guys knew what they were doing!
  15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I was surprised to be honest by the amount of skills fade in Bn when I got there in 82. I had a year at Shornecliffe followed by 8 weeks continuation at Depot and on arrival was put through my toets. I passed them all with Sk and was exempted the continuation training they had just set up for new intakes. We were good old airportable so we didnt have any need for mech training. The Airmobile trials were good for us as we got to train onjust about every piece of kit the Bn had yet only 4 years later I was still encountering soldiers with 9 years in who were still only Grade 2. Surprising really and we hada couple in COP. We ran an upgrade course for them and the hardest bit for some was the route card for a road move and for others adjusting the POI of an SLR!
    Operational pressure just kept blocking the £1 a day extra that these lads could have had!