L/Cpl James Ashworth to be awarded posthumous VC

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Pox_Dr, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 2
  1. A bloke died. Feel sad. Idiot.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 1
  2. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

This is still to be gazetted if correct. Let's wait until there is official confirmation. Us oldies still remember the Sun's 'Six VCs in the Falklands' story.

• Like Like x 1
  3. It may not have been gazetted yet but it is all over the BBC news this morning and I would like to think that their sources are better than the Suns.

Thoroughly deserved.

4. My absolute respect and my condolences to his family and friends. The youth of today eh!

It saddens me even more than the death of this young hero, that his name, coupled with that of his regiment, should be on the same website as the appalling yob Joyce.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Bravo and RIP L/Cpl Ashworth, and condolences to his family. My feeling is that too few VC's have been awarded in recent conflicts.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Feel sad that he died like all our blokes who suffer the ultimate sacrifice, he died in battle against the enemy, doing what Soldiers, Infantrymen and Grenadiers have done for hundreds of years.

He today join's the few, who will be remembered for their valour. RIP mucker.

7. Once in a while a young person, comes along and shows us just what can be done if you put your mind to it.

RIP young man where you and the others who went before, rest rightfully in Elysian Fields, with no shortages of fine wines, the best of foods and enough women to keep any man happy. My only worry is I hope that those brass balls don't get in the way and your iron heart can take the strain.

It is the Soldier, not the minister Who has given us freedom of religion. It is the Soldier, not the reporter Who has given us freedom of the press. It is the Soldier, not the poet Who has given us freedom of speech. It is the Soldier, not the campus organizer Who has given us freedom to protest. It is the Soldier, not the lawyer Who has given us the right to a fair trial. It is the Soldier, not the politician Who has given us the right to vote. It is the Soldier who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag, And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protester to burn the flag." -
    Cockney William,

Only down side in all this he's a Gren' still can't have all ones own way.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Doesn't that mean they're all going to have their ammo boots re soled?

9. If that's their way of paying him their own tribute, then that's the least they can do.

10. Jesus Christ you're a gibbering twat.

• Like Like x 13
  11. I think it's the Gren's that have 14 studs on their ammo boots instead of 13, one for each VC won?

12. Who's 'cockney William?'

That poem is by Charles M Province, a US soldier...hence the spelling within (using 'Z' instead of 'S') you weren't credit raping, I hope!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

13. Even though only one was awarded for D Day? Puts it into perspective. Brave lad and let's hope those who make the decisions give it a thumbs up.

• Like Like x 8
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.