Kukris and best buys

I had a few presented to me when I left. Posh ones with blue or red velvet stuff on the scabbard, mini ones for my desk and "exercise" type. Came home with the rest of my 24 years Army career in boxes to present to missus to fit into our house. 5 boxes down the tip later and a comment "your not having those knives in the house with the kids about!". So now they are hidden in a void under a set of kitchen drawers.
I have a Herrick issued Gerber which is still going strong.

HE117

LE
I carried a nice Winchester lock knife I got given by the Winchester agent in Germany when I bought a load of shotguns for the Rheindahlen Gun Club back in the 80s.. I carried it all the time until the law changed, I now only carry it when I am shooting as it is the best bunny skinner I have ever had..

I replaced it as my "normal" pocket knife with a two bladed street legal penknife by the late Trev Ablett. It has a carbon blade which looks crap, but holds a razor edge!

I also have an ancient original black Leatherman with a det crimper which used to live on my belt kit in a leather pouch.. again very small and simple, but made out of "proper" steel and has never let me down. The thing is heavily contaminated with PE and seems to attract RAF movers and Snowdrops like flies, even when buried in my Bergan! I have had a few eyeball to eyeball conversations regarding it's status and ownership.. (but I still have it!)..

I have never felt the urge to carry a BFO knife, however I do have a nice Chassepot Yataghan bayonet which would serve should the need arise.. (though I would probably take my Chassepot as well using the "Indiana Jones principle"..)

Nobody who values their fingers uses a folding knife with a non locking blade.

I learnt that one at the age of about eight when a blade on a Swiss army knife closed on the tip of my thumb, it sliced straight through the top of my thumb and through my thumb nail.

I was attempting to prize apart two Lego blocks with it.

All well and good. Very sensible advice.

Except carrying a knife with a locking blade gets you arrested. So yuou are better off using the one that doesn't lock and disregarding the value of your fingers.

All well and good. Very sensible advice.

Except carrying a knife with a locking blade gets you arrested. So yuou are better off using the one that doesn't lock and disregarding the value of your fingers.
Don't start that ******* argument again!

BiscuitsAB

LE
Well your post doesn't tell me any of that shit does it?

Your telling me what your going to tell me but without telling me.

Right I want a kukhri for chopping shit up with, where shall I get it from?

Better off with one off these then.

418-hunters-axe-615.jpg

Non Ghurkha soldiers don't carry them generally. I've got three, which were gifted to me over the years. I don't carry them, lest I be ridiculed for being a twat

Standby, you're likely to get a snotogram from Col. Tim Collins Rtd. MP. He's not a twat, just a very naughty boy

I had an issue machete on my belt kit. Very handy for jobs that my lock knife was too big for. It also marked me out as a seasoned jungle warrior and women swooned upon its unsheathing... probably. I wish I still had it, but it got donated - along with the CEFO it was attached to. I should've kept the '44 bottle as well.

I do remember seeing 2 PARA lads with kukris on their webbing. This was '80s.

Looks like a very posh shepherds axe.
That's exactly what it is, I understand they are found all over eastern Europe (as was) I just happened to be in Slovakia in the Carpathians , saw one and bought it. had to post it home as I didn't think it would be allowed on the flight.back.

I had an issue machete on my belt kit. Very handy for jobs that my lock knife was too big for. It also marked me out as a seasoned jungle warrior and women swooned upon its unsheathing... probably. I wish I still had it, but it got donated - along with the CEFO it was attached to. I should've kept the '44 bottle as well.

I do remember seeing 2 PARA lads with kukris on their webbing. This was '80s.

More likely 1PARA. We'd just come back from Hong Kong and most of us had one. Thank you Pop W****. I think he sold one to almost everyone in the Battalion.

Mine was on my belt with the sheath covered in Belgian camouflage material. It then moved to being tucked into the slot behind a pouch on my bergan. Then it was stolen. Pretty much the trajectory of most useful/ally kit. It was useful though. We weren't issued machetes much.

Latest Threads