• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Kriss Akabusi - data telegraphist

kriss Akabusi was a data telegraphist in the signals before he went PT corps. I know the trades have all changed now but what was data telegraphist - what did it involve? and what is it equivalent to now (ish) ?

Any help appreciated!!

Probably better qualified people than me to reply to this, but DTG's from my experience stagged on over teleprinters linked into various comms systems eg radios or commcen kit. Renamed the RSOp or Radio Systems Operator I think.

I was a DTG for 10 years before i went geek. We were primarily Commcen Operators - which generally involved working with alot of women stamping pieces of paper. We would occasionally venture towards the fax machine, but as a "b" trade, it was usually considered to be above us. Spent most of my time making up excuses for loosing pieces of paper which were aparantly important and trying to get the women into bed - Oh, and we got called handbags, which was really really funny :wink:

Kermit said:
Probably better qualified people than me to reply to this, but DTG's from my experience stagged on over teleprinters linked into various comms systems eg radios or commcen kit. Renamed the RSOp or Radio Systems Operator I think.
Didn't DTG's become Tele Op (Sys), which is now AS Op?

(except in the TA 2 Sig Bde where they all became RS Ops)

Data Telegraphists didnt map across to any trade, there are still one or two still out there (handbags at the ready :D )

DTGs were given the option of re-trading and yes, most went Tele Op (Sys) then Area Sys Op. Some select individuals may have gone Tele Op (TG) but not sure many would have made the grade :wink:

don't know what a DTG done but at least they got C+E so we got someone to drive the admin daf. As for Kriss Akubussi, bloke in a pub told me he is now living in a squalid bedsit in South London as part of the Witness Protection Programme after he turned supergrass into an alleged theft of the Kings Head Ladies Darts Team had their winnings pinched. Bloke in the pub also told me who had committed this atrocity but I don't like to spread gossip.

Climber said:
kriss Akabusi was a data telegraphist in the signals before he went PT corps. I know the trades have all changed now but what was data telegraphist - what did it involve? and what is it equivalent to now (ish) ?

Any help appreciated!!
kriss was a combat athlete from day 1 dont make any mistake about that!!! there were lots of us in the 70's thats whay we always won inter corps athletics.crosscountry every years :wink:

nah - she started off as an extremely butch WRAC driver attached to RCT. She became an APTI in the AG Corps for some reason (rather than the Royal Lesbian Corps) and tried to get into the APTC. Training for athletics was her thing though and she eventually had to make a decision over her athletics career over her army career. Like Kriss Akabusi she was pretty much a full time athlete, but she's done really well since she left, so it was clearly the right decision to make. Good on her.

Hi, Just to let you know I was a Data Telegraphist. Joined AAC H'gate in 74C. Left as Data Teleg in Aug 76 then went to 4 Div Sig Regt in Herford. Data Teleg worked on systems such as TARIF, Bruin, Secure comms systems (visit Corps museum.................) Manned (real) static commcens and tape relay stations.

Knew both of'em. Akabusi was a tracksuit soldier but so what, he never claimed otherwise. He'd probs be the first to admit that he couldn't tell one end of a T100 from the other.

Holmes on the other hand.... unpleasant and up herself. Didn't like her at all and I couldn't give flying f*ck about her sexual orientation. I just found her a complete git.

There you go, reasoned and balanced assessments of both. DTG's aka Combat Handbags were mostly tasked with making tea and prviding biccies for noble RR Op's.... :twisted:

Speedkuff

DTG's aka Combat Handbags were mostly tasked with making tea and prviding biccies for noble RR Op's....
What a load of bolloax. DTGs were the under the sole and personal ownership of RTGs (AKA GODS TRADE in case you Combat Wombats should forget).

Lest you should forget, at that time in the Corps their was only 2 trades, all others were derived from them.... RTG and Radio Tech (although it breaks my heart to include them.......only joking).

Also, if I have made any typing mistakes.......please excuse me, I am slightly inheribiiiiitarated...

Latest Threads