Kremlin 'sends hitman to US to kill traitor'

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by RhodieBKK, Nov 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Russian assassin 'sent to kill double agent who betrayed Anna Chapman'

Russian assassin 'sent to kill double agent who betrayed Anna Chapman' | World news | The Guardian

Kremlin reportedly dispatches contract killer to US to pursue 'traitor' colonel, claims reputable Moscow newspaper

[​IMG] Anna Chapman in New York. She and nine other Russian spies were arrested in the US in June. Photograph: AP A contract killer has been dispatched to assassinate the Russian double agent who betrayed Anna Chapman and nine other spies in the United States this spring, according to reports in Moscow.
    "We know who he is and where he is," a high-ranking Kremlin source told the reputable Kommersant newspaper.
    "You can have no doubt – a Mercader has already been sent after him."
    Ramón Mercader was the KGB-hired Spanish communist who was sent to kill Leon Trotsky with an icepick in Mexico in 1940.
    The traitor was reportedly identified as a Colonel Shcherbakov, an officer of the SVR (foreign intelligence service) who headed the S directorate of the service's US department, which controlled the ring of sleeper agents, including Chapman.
    Shcherbakov is thought to have fled Russia three days before the president, Dmitry Medvedev, visited Barack Obama on 24 June, when the two leaders ate hamburgers together at a diner in Virginia.
    "After that, the Americans, worried that we would suspect a betrayal and start pulling our agents from the US, began to arrest them," said the Kremlin source.
    The agents, who had been living apparently innocent suburban lives in New York, Arlington and elsewhere, were detained by the FBI in late June and convicted of conducting long-term "deep-cover" surveillance on behalf of Russia.
    The 10 were later sent to Russia in exchange for the release of four men jailed there for alleged espionage on behalf of the CIA and MI6.
    Speaking shortly after the agents' return to Moscow, Russia's prime minister, Vladimir Putin, said the traitor who had betrayed them had been identified.
    "It was the result of treason," he said, predicting a grim future for those responsible. "It always ends badly for traitors: as a rule, their end comes from drink or drugs, lying in the gutter. And for what?"
    The apparent admission that a killer has been sent after Shcherbakov is surprising. In the post-Soviet period, Moscow has consistently claimed that the last time it ordered a hit was when operatives killed Stepan Bandera, the Ukrainian nationalist, in 1959.
    However, two murders in London have raised suspicions that assassinations abroad were never cancelled.
    Georgi Markov, a Bulgarian dissident, died in 1978 near Waterloo Bridge after a poison pellet was fired into his leg from the tip of an umbrella.
    And in 2006, the former KGB agent Alexander Litvinenko died after allegedly being poisoned with radioactive polonium.
    The Kremlin source hinted at a similar end for Shcherbakov: "The fate of such a person is unenviable. All his life he will drag this with him, living every day in fear of retribution."

2. Hmm,

I think that they would publicly state they are out to get him and know where he is means that they do not know where he is but surely want him to worry about it.

I imagine that if there were the same sort of issue as happened in Britain that there would be some larger repercussions for the Russians, especially since they all but publicly confirmed that it was them.

3. What's the Russian for "oo7 would like a word with you"?

4. Smert shpionam?

5. The Putinistas really need to fecking grow up, and perhaps look towards the real threat to the Rodina developing in the East.....

6. They are very well aware of the eastern threat to Mother Russia and more than concerned. It didn't end too badly for Burgess, Philby, MacLean, Blunt et al. It won't end too badly for the Russian either, Russia needs the west, this is sour grapes at one that got away.

7. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

They never stopped doing this type of thing. Business as usual.

8. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

I'm a bit rusty and excuse the Latin alphabet, something like:

Null null syem hatyel bi rasgovorivat c vami.

9. If I was him, I would be a worried man, where's the 'Motivational Poster showing Putin and the logo 'Bond Villians, don't mess with this one'?

Well, he's been identified, so how will the 'мокрое дело' (wet job) be administered?? Anyone running a book?? Polonium, fall from a great height, traffic accident etc??

10. The soviet old joke ... " On the first day we advanced 100Km and captured 15m prisoners. On the second day we advanced 200Km and captured 30m prisoners. On the third day we advanced another 200Km and captured another 60m prisoners.... on the 4th day - we surrendered to the prisoners."

If that pair kick off it really will be a case of having to " go ugly early...."

11. Thank you for your swift reply,I take it that should he ever hear anything resembling these words he shoud apply a nappy with some speed?

12. Since it's the Ivans, possibly all three at once? Vlad"The Impaler"Putin is in the Top 5 People You Don't Want Pissed Off at You List.

13. Mr.Putin said recently

"It is a result of treachery, and traitors always end badly. As a rule they end under a fence from alcohol or drugs."

14. Well, that's one possible response...

15. I have often wondered whether Fleming got the idea for the Double Os (I grant you that they should really be Double Zeroes, but...) from the OO Sections literally parachuted into the Soviet partisan forces by the NKVD as counter-intelligence types with a licence to kill; basically if they so much as thought a partisan might have been turned or was less than 120% committed to Uncle Joe, then out with the revolver, no questions asked and no need to consult Higher Authority.