Kremlin lays claim to huge chunk of oil-rich North Pole

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Rumpelstiltskin, Jun 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It sounds like the Russians are talking balls again. There's no way they can seriously expect the international community to simply sit back and say, "oh, of course it's yours, how silly of us..."

North Pole is recognised as international, not belonging to anyone. The Kremlin is being very very silly if it thinks its claim will be believed.

2. Sergey, according to the UN authority the area Russia is claiming is OUTSIDE the 200 mile zone.

Even the Russian government realises this, as they are going to have to apply to the UN to drill/mine there, as the article says.

3. ... according to both maps part of the ridge is within the Russian 200 mile zone, the other area (Barents sea) is to the West of an unsettled (disputed border).

Full marks for trying Sergei - no doubt if you repeat the claim often and loudly enough it will become more true (in similar manner to Neue Arbeit claims for the NHS, support for UK military et al).

4. they will probally drill inside their zone and tunnel under the exclusion zone though !

5. North Pole? oh so thats why they called it the cold war

6. Bore da Rockape. I belive that any possible problem would be resolved this or that way. The Russians could begin with a part that is inside 200 miles zone. Later or sooner EU and USA would demand more and more gas and oil and likely not Russia would ask but rather would be asked to continue beyond 200-miles zone.

7. Or we could persuade Canada to start drilling for it, given that their right to the area outside Russia's zone is just as tenable. And they don't throw their matryoshka out of their pram half so often...

8. The issue is that Russia is claiming that this underwater shelf links Russia to that part of the North Pole, making it a natural extension of its territory - which is just plain stupid.

I'm sure using that logic many territorial disputes could occur. Russia should accept that the area is international and not Russian and move on.

9. Bore da Sergei,
    Sut ydych chi?

good to see you are learning Welsh :D

... you could well be right - possibly a Russian or Russian/Canadian led international operation, if only because of the proximity to Russia/Canada.

10. Da iawn, diolch. A chithau?

Annigonol ydy un iaith

11. Da iawn hefyd, diolch, Sergei.

Dw i'n cytuno â chi :)

12. Bloody Welsh. ;)

Is this topic now closed then?

13. Genir pawb yn rhydd ac yn gydradd â'i gilydd mewn urddas a hawliau. Fe'u cynysgaeddir â rheswm a chydwybod, a dylai pawb ymddwyn y naill at y llall mewn ysbryd cymodlon.