Krefeld Barracks - ?

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by Under_Stated, Dec 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know how the handover of Krefeld Barracks to the locals went and what it is now or whether it has been redeveloped :?: It was a fantastic tour with lots of good people with 7 SR at the time but 16 SR previously. I seem to recall many hangovers :!: Any info much appreciated.

2. I was there with 16 between 90-94. Got posted back to Germany briefly last year so went for a quick look. Nothing had changed - families NAAFI boarded, gates half open with just a couple of what looked like contractors knocking about.

3. I was there 98-01, had a cracking time. It is a real shame if the camp goes to ruin, the rumour was that it was going to be set up as an immigration camp or redeveloped into designer flats. With the Regt's setting up in Elmpt I'm sure the bean counters are content :cry:

4. i went back a couple of months ago and the flats in kempener allee are all full of turks, the naafi is boarded up. wasnt allowed access to the camp, it had about 2 foot of grass swaying in the wind, all the location signs are still in place (QMS dept, RHQ etc)weeds growing out from the cobbles. seems such a shame as i had a really good tour there (96 - 99)

5. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

6. If you have Google Earth, the attached file will show you a satellite picture of the Bks. Dont know how old the photo is, but the camp still appears to be in use.

Attached Files:

7. 11D

11D Old-Salt

glad to see Eros is clear as you like on google earth!!! :-D

8. How do i get the google earth link?

Keep getting told hte site is unfound.

9. Working.... curses zone alarm.

10. Ahh, you can even see the gym, naafi bar and the bft track.

11. All I can say is Witches Tit for PT Vs Hangover. Not a good or acceptable match for a young lad. Mind you worse was the Bismark in Herford Vs Hangover. Absoulute fcuking torture. But we must strive for excellence.

12. have been passed it many times of late and it is a shame it is in such a state. best posting i had. i hope they do flatten/dig it up.

i want to know if the rumour is true about what lies beneath the parade square.

if anyone thinks they have the answer, let me know what you think it is!!

13. Well I for one will not miss the place, worst tour I ever had there with 16 before they moved down to RheinD. As for what is under the parade square....dunno m8, do tell, but CO 16 should have been under it, what a complete cnut he was!

14. there is supposedly a panzer unit hidden under it and rumour had it you could access it from the laudry dept, and two divers (as its supposedly flooded) went donw there and wont talk about what they see :D

i too want to know if its true

BTW i was there just as it transfered, i left the army tho

15. Pity about Krefeld. I was there 97-01 and loved every minute. Great posting and a good town to go on the pop.