kravmaga

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Poppy, Feb 2, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone ever tried this form of self-defence? I am thinking of trying it as I need a method that works when attacked in the street after two bottles of red wine on an empty stomach......................(and no the police never caught him)

2. Popps - Ju Jitsu is a superb martial art. I can fully commend it to you. It is very much an adaptable art so you can suit it to your strengths and physical limits/restrictions. It is very clever and not just about brute force - control is a huge part.
    Something I was told - have a look at the particular style. If you need protective clothing (shoes, headguards etc) just to train, then there is more brute force than discipline and control involved. Point to ponder.

3. Krav maga is a splendid way to become reasonably efficient at inflicting pain in a short period of time.
    V handy for the ladies, girlfriends/sisters have always been pointed in that direction
    Try

http://www.ikmf.org.uk/

you can normally go along and do a three hour induction to see if you like it.
    I did one and came out hoping someone would try and mug me on the tube !!

Two bottles of wine will not aid your righteous violence in any way unfortunately

toodle pip

the gimp

4. A can of mace is cheaper.

5. Yes but I really don't want to get arrested..................... :?

6. Have a look around and see what suits your build, age, gender and physical limitations. Personally, I prefer Kenpo as it encompasses all the physical attributes I look for in a martial art and is very effective. There again, it's not to everyone's taste. Also, look at what is being taught. Is it being done as a pure art form? A sport? Or is it being done for self-defence? The choice lies with you at the end of the day. And yes, KM is effective as well. :wink:

7. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

True Poppy, you don't want to be arrested for a crime that covers flamethrowers, poison gas and napalm.

However, attitude is the most important factor.
    Keep your head up, see what might become problems and avoid them.
    Try Col. Cooper's colour code, it is easily adapted to those that may not carry the means with which they can most easily defend themselves should they be so trained.
    http://home.sprynet.com/~frfrog/color.htm

If push comes to shove, you need to have Controlled Agression.
    An immediate switch from normality to as much violence and nastiness as can be imagined.

By all means learn techniques - they might sadly be neccessary, but you must be able to turn from nice girlie to utter PMT loaded lunatic using everything to hand until the problem has been resolved.

But what would I know ?

8. Poppy, try the Artois Bottledo style. It is very effective and will work for any body mass.

9. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Never a truer word......

10. I prefer the Glaswegian Martial Art of "Fuk Yu".

Very adaptable and devastating in close quarters. You'll find practical classes held in various pubs around the country on most nights. :twisted:

11. Thanks for the advice but my problem stem from too much time in the pub............................ :lol: