Kosovo Serbs to cut ties with UN

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by whitecity, Jun 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK, so civil war and sectarian violence is on the up in Iraq, and in Afghanistan the situation appears to be deteriorating. But let's not forget another place we've recently meddled with...

Now remind me again... What's the plan to bring peace to Kosovo? Ah yes! Give it independance from Serbia so the Albanians can feel 'safe and secure'. What's the plan to bring peace to Iraq and Afghanistan? Ah yes! Insist they all live together in a single state. Hmmmmm!
  2. What about the safety and security of the indiginous Serbs who have had their land stolen from under them? The UN has been a party to ethnic cleansing in Kosovo.
  3. Isto sranje -drugo pakovanje!
  4. Actually the UN has not been party to ethnic cleansing in Kosovo, try looking at the members of NATO who won the war on behalf of the Albanians thus unleashing the mass ethic cleaninsing of non-Albanians (not just Serbs) and then the members of the UNSC who ordered the UN to go in and try and run the place.

Once again the UN catches the blame.......... for doing as the UK, US etc tell them.
  5. By failing to condemn the actions of the KLA, NATO, Clinton, Bliar et al, the UN was a party by default, the UN is also debating recognising Kosovo as an independant state thus legitimising the ethnic cleansing. The UN catches the blame because it is a corrupt and inept organisation not fit for purpose. Kosovo is now a haven for Islamic fundamenatlists... Bliar must be proud.
  6. Agreed!
  7. And the alternative to an independent Kosovo is?

If you have any practical alternatives please send them to Blair then his minion in the UNSC can raise them.

The UN is only as effective as the member states want it to be or are willing to let it be.

I am fully convinced that one of the roles of the UN in the modern world is to be the whipping boy of the member states. The organisation to blame when no one else has any idea of how to deal with a situation, or is unwilling to do anything about a situation.

By the way I do work for the UN. I am neither corrupt or incompetent or inept, but I do spend a lot of time listening from total bollocks spoken about the UN by many people who have no idea of how it works and how it is controlled by the member states, particularly by the ones most vocal in their condemnation of it.

Is there corruption? Yes. Is there corruption in the British Army? Yes.
    Is there incompetence? Yes. Is there incompetence in the British Army? Yes.
    Are there problems? Yes. Are there problems in the British Army? Yes.

Do most UN staff want the UN reformed? Yes
    Will the member states actually allow any practical improvements in the way the UN operates? Probably not.

I could go on and on about this, but it is easy for you to sling mud. Yet people on here whine like buggery when the British Army is unfairly slated as a whole because of the actions of a few. I have met murderers, child abusers, drunks, thieves, liars, cheats, rapists and others who were British soldiers.

Does that mean that the British Army should be scrapped?

How about this the British Army is responsible for allowing Kosovo to become a safe haven for Islamic fundamentalists. It was the British Army that kicked the Serbs out, not the UN?

Anyhow I have said my peice I am sure it will not have altered anyones opinion but hey that is the way it goes.
  8. Kosovo is a legiimate and integral part of Serbia. The fact that the Serbs have been displaced by Albanian Muslims does not change that fact.

To put it into a UK context.... If Bradford decided it wanted to be an independant Islamic state, would it be acceptable? No? Thought not..... No different to Kosovo... If the UN is to be involved, it should be deporting the illegal Albanians back across the border into their own country and protecting the displaced Serbs.
  9. I will not argue with views on the rights or wrongs of independence for Kosovo, there are some very good arguments both ways, and I am in no way a fan of the Albanians.

However, if you are right about the need to deport illegal Albanians back to their own country why have the P5 members not pushed for this to happen, come up with a mandate to do just that combined with the troop numbers required? Is it because they do not share your opinion? or is it that they are not interested? I suspect it would be the latter, safe in the knowledge if it all goes tits up - there is always the UN to blame.

You are illustrating my point about the UN - here you are blaming the UN for the policy of the member states. Again this also supports my view that part of the UN role is to be blamed for the results of policies which they have no control over.

This is exactly the same as blaming UK civil servents for the policies of the UK Government. It is not the civil service that makes the policy, it is their masters in the elected government. Or how about blaming the British Army for going into Iraq? We both know that the reality is such a policy decision lays firmly with the government of the day, yet somehow this thinking does not carry across to the UN.
  10. I have wide experience of the UN on a personal level and my views of the organisation are coloured by my own experiences. There a three words which some up the inherrent corruption from the top down: Oil for Food.....

As for the Kosovo thing, we must never allow it to be independent. Serb sovereignty of its own territory must remain paramount. The implications for allowing foreigners to displace an indiginous population through terror and then to grant them legitimacy are obvious.
  11. Have you read the full Vocker report into the allegations made about the Oil for Food Programme? I have.

My view, as bad as it was (and it was bad), it was in no way as bad as certain elements of the US administration would have us believe. Furthermore, it did reveal that the UN was willing to have itself examined and the result, warts and all, placed in the public domain. Very few UN staff were on the take, though some of the cash sums involved were huge. The vast majority of the staff peformed their work in an honest manner. I know no one in the UN who was not pleased that the criminals were exposed, had any immunities lifted by the SG, and some are now in prison.

Meanwhile, I note the lack of interest into a full investigation into the theft of masses of US money allocated to the re-building of Iaq by the US government, which I believe to be somewhat larger than the total OFF budget. Aparantly for some in the US, UN malpractice is to be highlighted at every opportunity, but fraud against the US is to be ignored as it may be seen as off message in terms if Iraq.

I hope that in the long run the Vocker report will be of great benefit to the UN. Now hopefully the world ill sit up and take notice, you cannot expect the UN to do everything on a shoe string and then complain when things do not turn out the way you want them to.

As I said I am employed by the UN and have been for about 13 years. Almost all the staff (including the unions) want the UN reformed, want the UN to be more efficient and effective. However, just as many are pessamistic, that there will be much progress, as the individual wants of the member states will lead to the dead hand of status quo being at the tiller.

Still at the end of it all - You can always blame the UN!
  12. How come Koffi Anna hasn't resigned then? What about his son etc? The U.N. has no right to decide the future of Kosovo, it is a matter for the Serbs, they have every right to defend their territorial integrity. Why is the U.N even considering the issue?
  13. Have to say I have great sympathy with both 'sides' of this interesting discussion. It doesnt sound as if any of the contributors are particularly happy at the way things are going, whoever's fault it might be.

Edit: I dont think InfMP's post below is in response to me! ;)
  14. How about because the UN has to try to deal with the realities on the ground. As in the reality is that the Serbs for the most part are gone, and if I was a Serb I would make sure I got out of Kosovo as fast as I could be, because it will always be open season on them. I was there when they were being murdered. I was watching from the roof of the house I was living in as the Serbs were being dragged out of their homes and if they were lucky beaten, as their houses were torched. At one point I counted 11 houses burning in Pristina at th same time. My Albanian staff were opennly cheering.

You have to understand that the British Government along with others kicked the Serbs out of Kosovo, and those that were left behind were left to the mercies of the KLA and anyone else who wanted to have a go at them. This was not done by the UN. The UN was then instructed to go into Kosovo and provide a civil administration, including building a new police force from scratch. The troops reman under NATO command, as in they do not have to do anything the UN says or not says. They do co-operate with the UN when it is in their interests to do so.

The world in the form of the P5 has also instructed the UN to report on the governence aspects of the new Kosovo regime. It will not order the world to recognise Kosovo as an independent country. It will report on whether the governence is competent and (for want of a better word) honest enough to be demorcatic and functional. This will also be reported on by OSCE. Although I suspect that if the UN report is favourable the P5 will basically state that Kosovo is independent and the UN is to leave pronto. However, it is not the UN that has the final say.

Of course if you do not get the answer you want you will blame the UN just as the other side will blame the UN if they do not get the result they want.

As for Annan, he personally has done nothing that he should resign for. He should however, be giving his son a severe kicking for placing him in such an embarressing position. Have you actually read the Vocker report?

However, I expect none of what I say will change your view which appears to be everything, no matter what is that it is the UN fault.
  15. Well we can blame Germany for it all, when they backed the Croats
    independance from yugoslavia.
    Who ever said the Germans wre trying to forget WW2 ?

Still cant get over Kosova why Nato needed to be there was beyond me,
    and then they just sat back when the Albino's tryd to light up Macedonia.

Ah well stoopid is as stoopid does !