• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Kosovo for Christmas

oldbaldy

LE
Moderator
#1
Britain yesterday offered to be the first Nato country to send extra troops to Kosovo within weeks, as the Conservatives and Balkan experts warned of a potentially violent crisis brewing.

While David Cameron accused the Kremlin of stirring up trouble in the Balkans and warned of a new crisis by Christmas, Gordon Brown's government also risked Russian wrath by issuing a robust statement of support for quick Kosovan independence.

Lord Ashdown, the former international governor of Bosnia, accused the Russians and the Serbian government of fomenting trouble in Bosnia and Kosovo, and demanded troops reinforcements to try to keep the peace. "Unless we get a grip on this situation very fast, the issue of the Balkans will be back on our agenda with a vengeance," Ashdown told the BBC.

Amid a growing sense of foreboding after the collapse of two years of negotiations between the Serb and Kosovo Albanian leaderships over the future of the contested Balkan province, the Foreign Office signalled strong support for a breakaway Kosovo.
"Long-term European stability and security demand a viable status settlement for Kosovo without delay," a spokesman said, voicing support for the supervised independence proposed by the UN envoy, Martti Ahtisaari. If more peacekeepers were needed in Kosovo, Britain would be the first to send extra forces, he said.

In one of his first big foreign policy speeches in Washington last night, Cameron called for extra troops immediately to pre-empt violence. "There could be a new crisis in the Balkans by Christmas ... That is a direct threat to our national security, and we must take decisive action now to prevent it," he said.

British diplomats indicated that any call for extra troops should first come from Nato commanders on the ground.
http://www.modoracle.com/news/detail.html?id=14669

Just where are these British troops coming from?
 
#2
Hmm, I wondered when a statement of some sort would come out. A lot of the locals in Bosnia and not just Kosovo are also worried of another conflict, nurses in my other half's Hospital have actually been storing the essentials like sugar, flour etc.! it's sometimes difficult to explain to them that there is a difference now than there was back then, there isn't just one Army this time that could surround all the major City's/airports etc. under the pretence it is carrying out a national exercise and NATO would hardly let it run out of hand again, they need this stepping stone strategically!
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#3
oldbaldy said:
Just where are these British troops coming from?
Albanian refugees? Kosovan returnees? There's no British troops spare I'm afraid, they've been used up, spat out, and most of them are leaving at the first available opportunity, or are still fighting two other wars. Sorry, me old Serbian/Kosovan.Russian muckers, no can do! :oops:
 
#4
This is a standard SLE role. Guys on that will already be briefed up as part as the standard OPTAG stuff they get.

One BG only. Who is on that task right now?
 
#5
in_the_cheapseats said:
This is a standard SLE role. Guys on that will already be briefed up as part as the standard OPTAG stuff they get.

One BG only. Who is on that task right now?
Bury st Edmunds and Thetford combined cadet forces
 
#6
oldbaldy said:
Britain yesterday offered to be the first Nato country to send extra troops to Kosovo within weeks, as the Conservatives and Balkan experts warned of a potentially violent crisis brewing.

While David Cameron accused the Kremlin of stirring up trouble in the Balkans and warned of a new crisis by Christmas, Gordon Brown's government also risked Russian wrath by issuing a robust statement of support for quick Kosovan independence.

Lord Ashdown, the former international governor of Bosnia, accused the Russians and the Serbian government of fomenting trouble in Bosnia and Kosovo, and demanded troops reinforcements to try to keep the peace. "Unless we get a grip on this situation very fast, the issue of the Balkans will be back on our agenda with a vengeance," Ashdown told the BBC.

Amid a growing sense of foreboding after the collapse of two years of negotiations between the Serb and Kosovo Albanian leaderships over the future of the contested Balkan province, the Foreign Office signalled strong support for a breakaway Kosovo.
"Long-term European stability and security demand a viable status settlement for Kosovo without delay," a spokesman said, voicing support for the supervised independence proposed by the UN envoy, Martti Ahtisaari. If more peacekeepers were needed in Kosovo, Britain would be the first to send extra forces, he said.

In one of his first big foreign policy speeches in Washington last night, Cameron called for extra troops immediately to pre-empt violence. "There could be a new crisis in the Balkans by Christmas ... That is a direct threat to our national security, and we must take decisive action now to prevent it," he said.

British diplomats indicated that any call for extra troops should first come from Nato commanders on the ground.
http://www.modoracle.com/news/detail.html?id=14669

Just where are these British troops coming from?
The Cadets are going to get an extra special Xmas present from Uncle Gordon! :twisted:

"Mum, Dad - guess where I'm going for my Camp this year!" 8O
 
#7
Better not send the Cadets, the Albanians will only kidnap them for sexual slavery. After all, they must be running short of their own by now.
 
#8
my old cadet unit let loose over seas with live ammo would be heading for Moscow killing and burning everything in its way :twisted:
had my big book of the Vietnam war confiscated after we tried out some of the field interrogation techniques on the local glue sniffers.
apparently torture is'nt in the cadet syallbus :roll:
 
#9
Now is the time for the Legion of Frontiersmen to come to the aid of the Govt in it's time of crisis and earn some more medals.
 
#10
Likely Davie-boy has smoked something that he used to smoke in Eton.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/11/29/ncameron129.xml

David Cameron: Army must halt Russia threat
...
Speaking in Washington, the Conservative leader will issue a stark warning that Russia's increasingly assertive foreign policy is jeopardising Britain's national security.
Really? Britain's national security? Bad, bad boy Vlad, how he dares to upset the former drug addict. These blokes are unpredictable and sometimes even believe in what they say.

...he [mr.Cameron] will insist that intervention is vital to British national interest because instability in the Balkans could bring a wave of immigrants to Bitain, and make the region a breeding ground for al-Qaeda.
I see. So evil Serbs (with the help of the Russians of course) would try to reunite their country and after establishment of full control over Kosovo they would create al-Qaeda cells.
 
#11
SLE=RGR, for one. (Not the chaps in Afghan, I hasten to add)

The troops are there for use in the SLE role, but it'll be just another stretch for the forces in general - we really are using the forces to their maximum right now.
 
#12
KGB_resident said:
Likely Davie-boy has smoked something that he used to smoke in Eton.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/11/29/ncameron129.xml

David Cameron: Army must halt Russia threat
...
Speaking in Washington, the Conservative leader will issue a stark warning that Russia's increasingly assertive foreign policy is jeopardising Britain's national security.

Got it in one Sergey; why else would the West be developing a biochemical weapon that only kills people with Russian DNA 8O
 
#13
brighton hippy said:
my old cadet unit let loose over seas with live ammo would be heading for Moscow killing and burning everything in its way :twisted:
had my big book of the Vietnam war confiscated after we tried out some of the field interrogation techniques on the local glue sniffers.
apparently torture is'nt in the cadet syallbus :roll:
PMSL! :D Ah, the Good Old Days... 8)
 
#14
amazing__lobster said:
KGB_resident said:
Likely Davie-boy has smoked something that he used to smoke in Eton.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/11/29/ncameron129.xml

David Cameron: Army must halt Russia threat
...
Speaking in Washington, the Conservative leader will issue a stark warning that Russia's increasingly assertive foreign policy is jeopardising Britain's national security.

Got it in one Sergey; why else would the West be developing a biochemical weapon that only kills people with Russian DNA 8O
Don't worry mate. It appears that there exists anti-weapon with secret formula of course. Only for you it is - C2H5OH. Though for some Britons (not trained enough) it is a deadly poison even more lethal than Polonium 210.
 
#15
amazing__lobster said:
Got it in one Sergey; why else would the West be developing a biochemical weapon that only kills people with Russian DNA 8O
Already been done:
 
#16
Yes, sometimes trainings are hard, but in action these guys would be undefeatable.
 
#17
Guys Im out of the loop on whats going on in the Balkans, can someone bring me upto speed
 
#18
Nothing's happening, but it's looking like something could happen and our glorious leader has decided it is wise to say Brit troops on SLE would be amongst the first to deploy should the proverbial shoite hit the fan.
 
#19
So what could happen any why
 
#20
pipes377 said:
So what could happen any why
What could happen is clashes between Albanian & Serb insurgents, with NATO flapping around in the middle, civilians being killed/expelled, and Vlad making threatening noises from the wings.

edited to add why: Clinton and Blair are idiots.
 

Latest Threads

Top