KOSB Association takes TCH to court

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by X-Inf, Feb 21, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. X-Inf

X-Inf War Hero Book Reviewer

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=4161030

It will be interesting to see how this goes.

2. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Hark - Do I hear the sound of dead horses being flogged???

3. Dunno, are you an Englishman?

4. Dead horses or not it's going to take another Act of Parliament to rescind the one from 1689 authorising the raising of the 25th of Foot. How wonderfully original of the KOSB, got to admire their tenacity, though weren't they always so? Hope they succeed.

5. If they are successful, it also would seem to effect other Regiments such as the Royal Scots, the Cameronians, and have deeper implications for Scotland generally.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/33790.html

6. RCSignals' reference to "the Cameronians" may raise a few eyebrows, but in fact he is perfectly correct. IF the court action succeeds, and if (as the KOSB campaigners imply) the Cameronians were also formed under a pre-1707 Act of the Scots Parliament, there may logically be implications for that long-disappeared Regiment also.

Not wishing to take anything away from the KOSB campaigners' court action. It's ingenious and interesting, and at minimum helps to publicise their cause. The 1707 "Treaty of Union" (the correct term in Scots Law, so I am told) contained provisions to preserve existing laws north of the border.

Some attempts to rely on Scots statutes long fallen into disuse have not, however, succeeded. For example, I have read that there was an old Scots Act which granted shareholders of the Bank of Scotland the right of citizenship, but if that still applied I expect Mr al Fayed would have used it.

No doubt the KOSB campaigners will maintain that as the Regiment has never been amalgamated, the Act authorising it has not fallen into disuse.

7. This will be of special interest if the KOSB can drag this along in the headlines up to the general election this year.

It would be great to see the Labour candidates squirming on this issue. Remember that a doctor won a parliamentary seat when he stood as an independent on the solitary issue of closing a local hospital.

If the KOSB are putting up candidates vs Labour here and all Labour MPs are facing competition wherever there is an airport due to the controversial expansion plans that everyone is opposed to, there could be some fascinating election fights ahead.

What about an independent coalition coming to power and forming a government ??????????????

8. Baghdad-Brit

Interesting post!

Off-topic sorry, but as you will have seen my "signature of the day", can I take it that the pdf format leaflet has now reached Baghdad, or wherever you are at present?

regards

9. Baghdad-Brit

Roger, that is fir-cone helpful (to coin a phrase I saw somewhere) :lol:

now returning this topic to the studio...

10. Hack - you gag thief !!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

11. True, B-Brit, I was a bit of a tree-leaf there

12. sproutrageous

13. before the moderator "uproots" that post, I must point out that "sprouts" are vegetables, and therefore completely off-topic

apologies to the 25th of Root

sorry, I must stop this, have been up since 0530 doing fecking electoral registration

good luck The Edinburgh Regiment

14. Ha! Stroke of (admittedly desperate) genius by Hoggy and gang. Please say there's more news on this.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

15. Even a bitter Englishman like myself must admire this genius. Good luck!