Korporal Kit - austerity as a way of life

I have been accused of not so much being 'tight' but 'disinterested in spending'. My excuse is that although being an early Sixties' child post-war austerity still ruled - the mantra was:

"Make do and mend"
"Waste not want not"
"Every penny counts"

This 'culture' offered characters (Korporal Kit) who would not buy, on principle, any personal kit, Large Pack only; in a misguided attempt to shame the government.

Currently I take great pleasure in not replacing our old portable TV with a widescreen monster. It will get replaced when it fails! What Austerity Measures still operate in your house?

Quite a few, including:

Nothing left on stand-by.
Ignore all 'use by' dates - use common sense instead.

BoomShackerLacker said:
I have been accused of not so much being 'tight' but 'disinterested in spending'. My excuse is that although being an early Sixties' child post-war austerity still ruled - the mantra was:

"Make do and mend"
"Waste not want not"
"Every penny counts"

This 'culture' offered characters (Korporal Kit) who would not buy, on principle, any personal kit, Large Pack only; in a misguided attempt to shame the government.

Currently I take great pleasure in not replacing our old portable TV with a widescreen monster. It will get replaced when it fails! What Austerity Measures still operate in your house?
Paper and packaging are saved to light the fire. If it can be pickled or bottled instead of frozen then that's what happens - cheaper than running the freezer. Practically no food goes to waste.

I've emptied the bin once in nine months, ash from the fires goes to making up the road through the paddock.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
having to throw food away drives me crazy, I hate the waste of it.
I'll also upend the finished bottle of washing up liquid into the new one to make sure it all drains into the new one. Something I got off my mum as well, if you buy soap, take it out of the packet and leave it out on a bathroom shelf or the like for a few weeks while you get round to using it - it will last a lot longer than if you use it straight out of the packet.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Now that he's left school, the boy doesn't get an allowance. He gets 'Performance Related Pay'. Saves me a fortune if he's lazy!

Yes I have the duty HD widescreen monster TV but running two satellite set top boxes and neither are HD. The Sky Digibox was bought in 2000 from part of the proceeds of me winning my appeal against the SPVA or War Pensions Agency as it was then.

It's probably more a case of sentimentality than austerity.

BoomShackerLacker said:
What Austerity Measures still operate in your house?
I refuse to invite tight-fisted children of the sixties across my threshold, thus minimising the risk of the flatulent buggers stealing all of my sugar, and helping themselves to my beer.

1. Work out and stick to a budget. For everything.

2. Want it? Save for it (house excepted and yes I've even saved for a new a car).

3. Work out the weekly menu before going shopping for food.

4. In terms of food, waste nothing.

Never buy on credit unless we absolutely have to (as in will suffer if we don't).

Buy food for the meal we're going to cook, rather than because it's BOGOF - if we don't need it, we don't buy it.

Decide big-ticket spending based on necessity rather than lifestyle. We could have a) a flash car each, b) move to an 'executive' development and c) holiday in the sun twice a year - but we'd rather a) take the train, b) stay in the flat I've owned since leaving the army for as long as it's big enough, and c) visit the in-laws. The money we save we stick in the savings account.

The number of friends over the years who've looked at us as if we were a bit odd or missing out on something obvious and natural... He who laughs last truly does laugh longest.

...have never bought a lottery ticket and it pains me to buy raffle tickets too! 8)

When I was living in the UK I had a big street market nearby, which was a goldmine. For example, I'd get down there about 4 pm on a Saturday when they're virtually paying you to take the stuff away, get a tray of very ripe avocados, ten lemons for a pound or so, whizz it up in the blender with a bit of salt, tabasco and garlic and you've got a month's worth of guacamole ready for freezing in portions.

As an older soldier from a poor background, I'm extremely thrift.
I always keep a selection of NAAFI 'reduced for quick sale' stickers on my person - saved thousands over the years.

BoomShackerLacker said:

"Make do and mend"
"Waste not want not"
"Every penny counts"

That old box of yours uses a lot more juice than new modern economical flat-screen thingymajigs - You're killing the environment :)

I'm off to do my recycling. (My system breaks waste down to almost nothing in no time at all.) BURN IT! :)

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
'Nothing left on stand-by.'

I have heard that with modern appliances the surge when you turn them on from cold is far more than you use leaving them on standby. there is also less strain on the components that way too, rather than constanly turning them on from cold.

1. At home we grow our own rosemary, basil, laurel bay, mint and tomatoes.

2. We cut the herbs right down every month or so and make fresh pesto.

3. I take cuttings from the basil and mint every spring, grow them into established plants and sell them.

4. I regularly make my own pasta - it tastes better, there are more variations and it's cheaper.

5. I make most foods from scratch come to think of it - No wonder young doley scum have never got any money, they spunk it away in Iceland.

6. I save for everything I buy rather than getting credit.

7. I regularly cycle 8 miles to work and back to save diesel.

8. Instead of having the odd pint in a pub during the week I keep a well stocked beer fridge at home. For the price of 6 pints I get a crate. (Still waste a fortune when I go out on the piss though)

9. Instead of buying the 'cheap' packs of meat in the supermarkets, I buy in bulk from a butcher, break it down into individually clingfilmed portions and freeze it.

10. I sometimes do the grocery shopping online - it might seem like a wasted £5 for the delivery cost, but that's soon recouped by the fact that you only buy what you need instead of trawling through all the aisles looking for BOGOF deals. Shopping when hungry is a no no as well.

CC_TA said:
BoomShackerLacker said:

"Make do and mend"
"Waste not want not"
"Every penny counts"

That old box of yours uses a lot more juice than new modern economical flat-screen thingymajigs - You're killing the environment :)

I'm off to do my recycling. (My system breaks waste down to almost nothing in no time at all.) BURN IT! :)
Hmmmm.... good point! Trouble is my little Sony cathode ray has a better picture than most of the small flat screen pixellated (sp?) types I've noticed...

BoomShackerLacker said:
CC_TA said:
BoomShackerLacker said:

"Make do and mend"
"Waste not want not"
"Every penny counts"

Hmmmm.... good point! Trouble is my little Sony cathode ray has a better picture than most of the small flat screen pixellated (sp?) types I've noticed...
Fair one - I recently upgraded the house with an antennae booster, HD Free-view flat-screen and a few other odds n sods. Ooooow the wonders of digital TV; Intermittent & sometimes unwatchable/pixelated picture on digital and the terrestrial analogue picture is still pretty good. (Until they turn it off.)

Hey ho - that's life. I'll have to stick with a hard drive full of smutt.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Flip_Flop_the_Gog The Intelligence Cell 17
P Current Affairs, News and Analysis 3
Aunty Stella Weapons, Equipment & Rations 18