Old-Salt

Attachments

• 2860C2EE-10DA-403C-A6A3-65B6FE34D517.jpeg
    2860C2EE-10DA-403C-A6A3-65B6FE34D517.jpeg
    611.1 KB · Views: 17

RSM Sandy Young.

Fackin rose bushes.

Last edited:
Currently watching Sexy Beast and you have to hand it to Ian McShane in that one.
Not so much "cool" but a master class in smouldering menace.
He gets better and better as he gets older.

Nice to see Ben Kingsley shake off the shadow of Ghandi. Utterly insane, and you expect him to flip and bite someone's nose off at any second.

tumblr_pg1gympT7l1v99cx3o1_640.jpg
John Koenig. Spiffing flares and and a comlock that was the envy of every 70s kid.

I am surprised that no one has nominated the former Cpl RAMC Oliver Reed

In Gladiator "You sold me queer Giraffes" then drank himself to death before finishing filming. Possibly not cool but a definite legend
Have drank with him one afternoon in a pub called Brandy Wharf not far from where I live. Think I have mentioned it on another thread. What an absolute gentleman and as far as drinking goes me and my mate were nowhere close all afternoon, both of us left hammered and feeling like rank amateurs. That day was. although a blur written in the RM scriptures as soon as Mrs RM v1.0 turned up to pick up a pair of pickled blokes up going " you won't believe it but ******* look through that window, look who it is"

reno_jean_leon_the_professional_63196l.jpg

Jean Reno in Leon has to be in with a shout, equally Gary Oldman's portrayal of the insane Stansfield as his enemy.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Born in, That photo was from the film "Get Carter" it was set in the back streets of Newscastle- Gateshead. ;)

Late edit:- The opening scenes on arriving up north, were filmed in Newcastle main line station.
You don’t say?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Have drank with him one afternoon in a pub called Brandy Wharf not far from where I live. Think I have mentioned it on another thread. What an absolute gentleman and as far as drinking goes me and my mate were nowhere close all afternoon, both of us left hammered and feeling like rank amateurs. That day was. although a blur written in the RM scriptures as soon as Mrs RM v1.0 turned up to pick up a pair of pickled blokes up going " you won't believe it but ******* look through that window, look who it is"
Same here, met him when on a weekend at a mate's house during training. Mate's uncle took us to this pub not far from Epsom, Ollie sitting there slinging a few down range, mate's uncle happens to mention to him that we were both in training, invites us over for a drink (well, tbh, the rest of the afternoon, lock in included), got chatting and his last words as we fell out of the pub was "shame you couldn't have joined a proper Corps".

true-detective-wp-2000.jpg

Matthew Mcconaughey as Detective Rustin Cohle in True Detective, he makes an already fantastic series into something pretty special.
If you haven't seen it yet give it a go.

Elizabeth Jennings in The Americans

I haven't seen that show, is she supposed to be a KGB long-term illegal or something?

Philippe Roaché in Godzilla, 1998, as played by Jean Reno.

1613470459435.png

Tunnel Guard : [to Philippe] You got a problem talkin'?

Philippe Roaché : [Southern accent, without a trace of French] Why, no sir, I'm fine.

[a car honks from the line behind them]

Tunnel Guard : All right, keep it movin'.

Philippe Roaché : Well, thank you very much.

[They drive on. Nick looks questioningly at Philippe]

Philippe Roaché : [normal French accent] Elvis Presley movies. He was The King.

View attachment 549950

Matthew Mcconaughey as Detective Rustin Cohle in True Detective, he makes an already fantastic series into something pretty special.
If you haven't seen it yet give it a go.

Good shout mate....

Great actor and cool as f*ck.

For me, this is one of his best scenes, from "Wolf of Wall Street". In interviews, DiCaprio said that McConaughey just made up half of this on the spot...

Is a cool customer the same as a cool character? Should we delineate between characters that are cool and characters who are played cool?

However, Herr Kapitanleutnant Lehmann was indisputably cool.
Lehmann laughed off the pissing on his car incident, seemed pretty much unflappable and didn't take a draconian approach to discipline for the most part* and was about as chilled as a bloke in his situation could be. I thought the character a cool bloke.

Quint made his living as a professional shark angler/hunter, lived in a shed on the docks and didn't seem to give a shit about much. If none of that made him cool he used a greener harpoon gun so. Definitely quite flappable under pressure, baseball bat-radio incident, but otherwise a cool individual when you are an eight year old kid watching jaws for the first time.

I thought both the characters came across as pretty cool blokes. Helped in no small part by superb performances form the actors portraying them, I hate it when you can see an actor trying to play cool, I didn't see that with either of those performances, but it was the characters I was voting for.

Interesting to see what @Werewolf said about Shaw drinking, I thought he "acted" drunk very well.

*We'll just gloss over threatening to blow him engineer's head off for the sake of my argument.

Sean Bean is an asshole. Did you mean Sharpe as portrayed by Sean Bean?

I mean, he's a dick in Ronin...

Mind you, he seems to be making Mr. Wilford quite cool, in an evil way, in the second season of Snowpiercer (no pun intended).

Is he an ass, must be why he keeps getting killed off?
Just got to the 2nd season. The wife hates Wilford, I think he's ace.

Latest Threads