Kona Jake (2008)

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Shovel_Recce, Dec 17, 2007.

?
  1. Yes - Good entry level bike/good value

100.0%
  2. Ok - There are better bikes for the same price

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No - Spend more get a better bike

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just been to my local bike shop owned by an ex REME CSM (Robin Cycles), he is doing me a handsome 50% discount on a Kona Jake (2008) model bike, because a] I am REME and b] because I am cycling for charity.

I would like to know if anyone has used one of these bikes before, are they good value for money (assuming I was paying full price that is!), are they suitable for the event I am doing (approx 70 miles for 7 days), any modifications I may need on the bike (pedles, saddle) etc.

I am not a cyclist, this is my first time doing anything like this, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

S_R

2. Not got one myself, but hope this helps.

Kona Jake review

The best tip I can give you is to get a comfortable saddle, and you will only find that out by getting some mileage under your belt before you go.
    Get some shorts with chamois inserts and get some cream to apply before and after you ride.

Chamois Cream

3. Thanks for the link, interesting!

S_R

4. If you are not intending to be doing the 70 miles a day overly fast then I say this bike is a good buy at £700 but esp so with the discount. If all your riding will be on road get the tyres changed to some road slicks you will find these easier going than the cyclocross tyres that are on it.

As its an alu frame and a cyclo cross one at that I doubt it was primarily designed with comfort in mind, so getting a saddle that fits you is very important. Also make sure the frame size is correct otherwise you could have a very painful ride! At the distances you are talking about the slightest thing can make a big difference - ie saddle height, stem length, handle bar height etc. Get some good training rides in and record adjustments you make and how it feels.

Brooks saddles are reputed to be best for long distance rides but expensive and take a while to break in as they are leather!

Not sure what pedals (if any) are supplied but I recommend you have a go at trying a clip-less pedal system. Have a look at Shimano's SPD or Time's ATAC which are mountain bike pedal systems but give a wider choice of shoe type and fit than the pure road racing pedals.

Just a quick Q. Are you riding alone or with others? If with others its probably best to find out the type of bikes they will be using and the pace they are planning to ride at. If they are on road racing bikes you may* struggle to keep up as the gearing on the Jake is quite low in comparison to a road bike of similar price.

Good Luck, you'll enjoy it :)

* You'd probably have an easier time on the uphills though.

5. There are 300 of us doing the cycle, all of varying abillity/experience, it is not intended to be a race (well not for me anyway, I will be happy to make the distance each day), it is a cycle for charity.

Thanks for the advice.

S_R

6. No problem, I just had a read through of your site - sounds good fun for a good cause, hope you make it.

7. Thanks for your support :D

8. For that money you can't complain...

9. Well it's got to be better than my scabby rust bucket of a mountain bike!

S_R