Kohima (the battle of) no read on, Im bloody livid!!!

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by coalman, Oct 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As someone whose Grandfather wanted to stop selling pegs and lied about his age to do "his bit for Kitchener" and then have the same Grandfather lie about his age to bring home a couple of medals the second time round....and then have four uncles do their bit for the Buffs as they turned into the Queens and myself "take the shilling" in the PWRR; scouting youtube for my son to show him as a history lesson how the regiments became what they are I hit "Kohima" and then "battle of Kohima"

For those that know their history (especially the great tennis court battle) you will be soooooo saddened to find all I got was an American ("are they moving? FIRE!!! whose side were they on?") documentary that simply stated, "Around Kohima the enemy was on the defensive"

I'm not too sure how all this works I pretty much spent time where we all spent time over the years backing each other up and picking each other up, BUT if someone has anything better than that to show the world just what we really done in Kohima; pop it up there's a good chap....bloody hell the next thing we'll know is the yanks won the friggin' Falklands!!!!
    I thankyou in advance......did someone actually say "advance"
  2. Why not get him a book on kohima, rather than going to 'youtube' which is hardly the History Channel, frigging youtube, you certainly looked hard didnt you!!

Look on Goofle UK, plenty or hits for Kohima etc around there
  3. What happened to using books or even your local library? Sigh. No wonder our libraries are being closed down, if people are doing their research on youtube.

Sorry, school librarian, personal bugbear.
  4. Calm down, mate, you're livid because you can't find anything about Kohima on Youtube? You must lose your rag when you go shopping and find that the chemist doesn't have any engine oil....

Like scarletto said, just google it FFS!
  5. fair play; and a right to reply...it was one of those very silly moments that started off with "who was enola gay?" so we hit the net and then question lead to question and site lead to site and in under an hour, rather than hit the library (no excuse but I now live in Queensland (in the promised land....damn rubbish at rugby)) we hit you tube
  6. At least you're teaching your son a bit of history - unlike 99.999% (arbitary figure plucked out of thin air to illustrate a point) of parents these days.

He will be an unusual (and lucky) kid if he knows something about Kohima and other battles and campaigns. :D
    • Like Like x 1
  7. My first post. Sadly the Far East remains the forgotten campaign and the army - after the war the West Kents couldn't even get a local church to take the Kohima cross. It's with a small display in the RWK museum in Maidstone museum. I remember one history book which described it as one of the three most significant battles of the war - along with Alamein and Stalingrad. If Richard Holmes does another series of war walks this'd be a good 'un, not least because of his PWRR links.
  8. I prefer recounting the story of the battle for Cohiba. I which the Mess, after a particularly pleasant meal, noticed that there was only one cigar left.

The ensuing battle saw the mess split into two defensive lines at either end of the dining hall while various juniors were formed into skirmishing parties. There was a memorable, if somewhat gruesome affair when Capt Kribins almost lost possession of the port during the great cheese board offensive but this particular battle was won due to a daring counter attack by Maj Caruthers armed with a silver ladle and using a serving trolley as a mount, his actions were later noted as one of the most impressive cavalry charges seen that week.

The conflict soon became a stale mate and both sides faced each other over a no mans land scattered with the fallen, unconscious and the remains of a particularly good apricot soufflé. As time dragged on many began to fall victim to the terrible conditions. A diary entry from Maj Filbin-Snatcher takes up the story:

It is a dark day indeed, Peter has been taken down by a well aimed bread roll, he is trying to put on a brave face but we don't hold much hope for him. My spirits were lifted momentarily when Lt Col Forbes-Woofter received a communication from outside, rumours quickly spread that there may be reinforcements on their way, sadly the communication was from his wife demanding that he return home immediately and see to the children. Alas that was the end of his war and he left the field of battle with a saddened heart.

Towards the end of the battle things became desperate, both sides had become restless and one or two were complaining that their need to use the little boys room was indeed very pressing. Eventually plans were drawn up for a charge from the North end of the hall and after a rousing speech by Brig Chalmers-Briggs-Shiphunter-Wilkins the cry was given to go over the top. Many were cut down in the advance by well aimed china from the opposing lines but a great deal made it through and found their mark. The battle at this time became a fierce hand to hand and in some cases hand to desert spoon struggle with each side fighting valiantly for their cause.

Sadly there could be only one outcome and as the sun rose on the field of battle only a lone figure could be seen still standing. All around him lay the fallen bodies of many a hero, some unconscious, some injured and many simply sleeping it off. In his right hand he held aloft a slightly damaged dinning chair, in his left the smouldering remains of a fine cigar.....
  9. bullet sponge......I thankyou, oh so much, how I've missed the "humour" my new countrymen seem to "know" well
  10. Actually, no; with a little after thought and a read of replies, my first request remains.
    For those that are in a position to help the, "spur of the moment" and "let's ask the net" in the fear of everyone thinking the "yanks saved the bleedin' world" please upload something of the importance of the "tennis court battle of Kohima" to "you tube". If there is anyone else in a situation like myself at least we will get more than, "Around Kohima the enemy was on the defensive"

yes, yes, books are wonderful but let's also start "working within the future that is amongst us"....ha ha sound familiar to "Vauxhall Tavern
    frequenters" of the '90's? (an after work drinking club, I'm assured, ha ha ha)

and let's face it a US "kill 'em, kill 'em all, are they blue?" web site thingy should really have a proper mention of at least 9th April and or Corporal Harman, shouldn't it?
    I find history a great motivator, from the "island" close to home and those a little more sparsely inhabited, "Que tal?"
    I have neither the information or the know how to facilitate this but I do see a need.
    Is that enough? I don't know much of anything anymore; that's why I sit here, looking at a sea that contains things that can kill me, on a veranda that contains things that can kill me, surrounded by a bush that is living with things that can can kill me, under a sun that can kill me; sunbathing, surfing, kicking back and drinking beer, c'mon you ice cream man, bring on the cones!!! ha ha ha
  11. What an outstanding rendition, B_S.
  12. I thank you.

It is a story close to my heart, one of true bravery and it should be told at every given chance.
  13. Charity, thankyou;
    my local library is full of gems for those searching history, unfortunately mainly "Long Tan" and "Vietnam" in general.....and I work in an "RSL" (returned services league) slightly an awful lot better than the "United Services" (I do them no disrespect don't flame me, but the RSL here seem to really take it a BIG step further.
    There shouldn't be too much of a comparison "nowadays" as this really is a different 'climate"
    (there are those that could have put that a lot better, but not with this much rum....surely....................................)
  14. B-Sponge - Top notch humour - keep on thrapping the bush.