Kobe / Wagyu Beef - anybody tried it ?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by 58_Pattern, Feb 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [​IMG]

I am planning a bit of a gourmet food fest for my birthday this year. I like fillet steak, seafood etc and this year rather than the standard Aberdeen Angus or fillet mignon avec jumbo seared prawns have been thinking about Kobe or Wagyu Beef avec fresh Bushmillss peppercorn sauce.

I know it's horribly expensive and about £20 a fresh steak. But have seen reviews of restaurants that serve it and write ups of folk who have cooked it at home.

So have any fellow Arrsers tried it ? Is it over rated and a fashion food or is it amazing and a great treat ?

I am a bit of a gastronaught and love nice food. I would be prepared to go a staple diet of Tesco Value food for a week to fund the occasion (As long as it was short-dated and the price reduced !!

[​IMG]

Rgds

2. I recieved some for a present. really, really nice but if i had to buy i would go with a nice fillet steak and save the rest of the money towards a massage for MYSELF not the cow!!!! LOL

3. It's a beautiful tasting meat, but the price is pretty steep for what is, when all's said and done, a steak. Unless you're a real gourmet with a trained palate, I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference between it and an expertly-cooked butchers' cut. I couldn't, anyway, but then I was pissed enough to spend that sort of money in the first place.

4. I fancied a bit of fresh Sushi in the summer, but my missus gave her the gypsies warning!

5. So long as you can cook it properly (i.e. not keep in the oven for 60 minutes at 190 degrees) then it is delicious (and it should be easily possible to tell the difference).

I never buy the stuff though: get someone to put it on their expense account for you :)

If you are going to smother it in a pepper sauce (no matter how delicate) then there is no point going for Kobe beef, just get an excellent aberdeen angus steak from your local butcher (aged properly and cut on the bone).

I do my Kobe beef thus (in fact most of my steaks thusly): barbeque (with lid) hot as physically possible (must have a thick metal bar griddle, not a pishy wire affair). Coat your beefsteak (cut about 1-5 inches thick) with herbs/spices to taste, including a minute amount of salt. Slap on the heat and close the lid. Wait 2-3 minutes. Flip quickly and then close the lid. Wait another couple of minutes. Slap steak on plate and wait a couple of minutes before eating. Should require no mustards or sauces.

6. Dread you have convinced me ! Good man many thanks indeed. Think I will do it with some fresh queenie scallops seared/blackened in garlic butter in a Wok. Kinda variation of Surf & Turf.

7. Can't fault an Alberta AAA steak and not ridiculously expensive either.

8. I used to have a teppanyaki(japanese) restaurant in scotland (teppanyaki = indoor barbie) and you cannot beat Kobe beef. Expensive aye....and contrary to some opinion here....worth trying if only once.

The beast is massaged with Sake everyday of its life and the meat is superb. In terms of cooking you just have to show it (the Kobe beef) the frying pan...in a little oil and butter.

Alternatively if you have a good butcher and want to prep something a little different try this. Get your butcher to slice some decent steak whether sirloin or fillet in very thin slices. Easier if its sliced from semi frozen and just thin enough before it falls apart....1/8th inch? About 4 pcs per serving. Lightly fry then julienne some Raw carrot and cucumber (without the skin) and wrap the cooked meat around the veg then secure with a cocktail stick. Delicious.

Good luck

9. "In terms of cooking you just have to show it (the Kobe beef) the frying pan..."

NO WAY !!! a pulse even if just a weak one......

oh god I'm salivating...

WW

10. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Kobe beef is the best I've ever tasted. Its normally about £75Kg but if you find a butcher that does it and wait until close to closing then you might get it cheaper I got it at £25Kg last timt I did that.

11. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I tried it in Oz once. A friend invited me over for dinner and served it up. If its done well it is truly delicious. My cooking skills would ruin it, but if you feel up to the task it's worth it.

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I do very slim sika steaks but even though I like mine red, I cant quite eat it as pink as it deserves.

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I buy my beef box every 2 months or so from my local farm shop, 3 year old aberdeen angus hung for three weeks.

14. [/drool]....

15. Back in the day I used to eat the odd Kobe in Manhattan e.g. Arthur's Steak House on 9th. It's really special.

Honestly though; passing through these days a hefty US steak, well butchered and hung, is so damn good it tends to get prioritized.