Knowledge is power!

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by Harry_Monk, Oct 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a thought on something I have noticed a lot on this forum.

What is wrong with actually posting an answer to someones question? There is so much 'PM me for more info'. You put a post on to say PM me so why not just type the answer?

Any thoughts ?
  2. I can tell you if you PM me.

Fact 1: ARRSE is supposed to be anonymous. Fact 2: Some people get really excited about compromising others' identities. Remember that ARRSE is open to absolutely anyone in the world. Occasionally, questions merit an answer which doesn't need to be read by every dodgy social engineer in the world. Who in their right mind is going to post their work extension and say "hey give me a bell on Bulford 2222, as I'm the TOT there and I'll tell you". It's nothing to do with knowledge-is-power.

Alternatively, we can all skip over to ArmyNET, where the walts can't get in. ARRSE threads, particularly geeky ones, often descend into a free-for-all jibefest.
  3. I appreciate that there are occasions when PM etc would be the best course of action. It was just something that occured to me (a revelation during a bored moment at work !!) because it appears to be far more prevelant on this forum than any other I have used
    I have also based the theory on my own personal experience with the Corp in which there are a vast number of people whos mentality is very much 'Knowledge is power', this is most apparent in Spec Op seniors.

Perhaps I have just become over cynical?
  4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Yeah Poison Dwarf, then all those 'walts' as you call them that are no longer in service, and therefore cannot get onto armynet, even though they might have a wealth of experience and knowledge can't assist.

This is an open forum, as already said, and thus anyone and everone can read the posts and contribute. The PM thing is there for one-to-one conversations, especially stuff that somebody does not wish to disseminate to the masses that include inumerable lurkers.

If it's a 'knowledge is power' thread you want to run, without walts, but with lots of knowledge, even from ex-servicemen, try your local regimental association bar. You can sit around a table, have some beers and shoot the sh!t for hours.

I think it's more a case of the fact that 'PM me' makes you feel unwanted and excluded from some conversation, and thus left out, alone, nervous and in the dark. Ask mummy to turn the lights on for you.

Hope this helps.
  5. Harry......if knowledge is power, then you're farked ;)
  6. One of the funniest things ive read on here in a while, thanks.

haha, do you know me? :D
  7. Security, my dear chap, security.
  8. It seems that a lot of users of this site have this misconception that they are James Fooking Bond. Not so. PM if you disagree, or we can slug it out on an open forum, whichever.
  9. Now you are an easy one to identify!
  10. Ah damn, I've put me real photo as me Avatar.....! Busted. :roll: :wink:
  11. You're talking shiite.
  12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

If anyone wants to know if I'm REALLY Spartacus . . . PM me! :)

13. Funny thing that P_D, that you bite so quickly. Guilty?
  14. If you like.
  15. Sorry P_D, should that be 'James' ? - Tit.