Know any good accommodation in the Lakes?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by flowers, Mar 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. .Dolly and I are going to have a bash at Striding Edge and need somewhere to stay, ideally round the Patterdale / Glenridding area.

Here's the catch though, it needs to be dog-friendly, to a very well-behaved mutt, and be within stumbling distance from a good public saloon :-D

We're looking to go in the last weekend in April so if anyone can help or point us in the right direction that would be great!

Edited to add: If you have any non-doggy accommodation suggestions too that would be uber handy :-D
  2. Stayed at a place called Michaels Nook at Grasmere in 2001. Seem to recall seeing mutts about the place. Company paid, though, and I suspect it was pricey.
  3. For Striding Edge, Glenridding Youth Hostel is pretty good - decent bar, reasonable food and it is dog friendly. It's quite a trek out of the village though, about 15-20 minutes - though there is a pub halfway!

Further afield, the Britannia Inn is always a good bet in the Lakes (though not a good spot to attack Hellvellyn from).

4. Try this they do cabins that sleep 2-6, stayed there last August, right at the bottom of Helvelyn so very handy. The steamer is only 1/4 mile away so very nice to take that to Howtown and walk back to the accommodation (about 7 mile walk). We enjoyed where we stayed so much that we booked the same week again on our last day there.
  5. A tent?? You pooftah!
  6. if that is the case I can't wait to tell the family we aren't going to be in a cabin this year but we'll now be in a shell scrape and will have to smear animal droppings on our faces... :D
  7. Stybech Farm has various accomodation. (NY 3185 1844)

Have used the Camping Barn for the last 2 years - dog friendly, within walking distance of Helvellyn (opposite side to Patterdale though) and 15 minute walk to a pub.