Discussion in 'Cookery' started by 29072010, Oct 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Linky Thingy

Did a search and couldn't find an existing thread.

I got these knives a while ago and was looking to expand my collection and was glad to see they are on sale, so I thought I would share. I do lotsa cooking and I think these knives are really good for the money.

Also thought they might be a good idea for a christmas prezzie.
  2. My mum bought me a set of Sabatiear Knives when I left school in 1968, as at the time she wanted me to be a chef,did it for six months then joined up, but still got the knives and could not live without them
  3. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

I use Victorinox chef knives with the anti-slip nylon Fibrox handles. I find that knives with a metal handle are fine until they get wet or slimey, then they feel as though they will fly out of your hand.
  4. These seem fine, if your hands are just wet with water, if my hands were slimy I wouldn't continue chopping anyway, I would have to wash my hands, but then I have OCD so I always feel I have to wash my hands.
  5. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Wusthof are my working knives of choice.

It is the old classic - you pay for what you get. In terms of longevity, retention of edge, etc. These have been fantastic.

I have had them for 3 years and only now considering getting them sharpened again.

If you want to start off with a set:

Wusthof 8 set

Add to it with these:

Wusthof Santoku

Wusthof Filleting Knife

Throw away the block and buy a knife roll to protect them better.

Knife rolls are available here

Oh - and I admit that you will need to mortgage your house. I have built my set up over successive birthdays, christmases and bonus payments!
  6. Very handy for aircraft use, I would supose
  7. As a former chef I still have a set of Global knives, very good but slightly brittle steel and not all dishwasher safe, forgeries are are common on Fleabay and the likes too. Top notch knife though.

I also use a a few Gustav Emilern but stopped buying them when they stopped the rosewood handles a few year ago

Both are top quality but both are expensive. Will literally last you a lifetime though
  8. Gotta agree with Tatty, Victorinox were the first set I ever owned when aged 16 and starting out, another good name is Henckel or Global, they do come at a price, but you have to pay for quality. Carbon steel are good for keeping their edge and sharpen easily, but stainless are the way to go, my last set over 10 years ago were worth somewhere in the region of £1100, a mix of Henckel and Gustav Emilern.
  9. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

They look like copies of the famous WMF Grand Gourmet:
  10. Be very wary of buying quality knives of Ebay!
    There are an awful lot of fakes out there on the market!