Knives--show us yer kit

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by jumpinjarhead, May 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I thought this might generate some interest--tomorrow I will post pic of my custom made Blackie Collins http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackie_Collins
    (he went by the surname of Sewell in the mid-1960s when he made mine) combat knife I carried throughout my career.

2. Oooh, yes, I have been wanting to show off my new toy ever since I collected it a few days ago. It is intended as a general purpose outdoors knife and was made by a countryman of yours, Colonel, who does such things as a hobby, so it was very reasonably priced.

The overall design is mine, all work is his. Material is 4mm O-1 tool steel, handle scales are American maple with a birdseye figure. The wood must be very dense, since the point of balance is fractionally behind where it is on the mild steel pattern I made, but still very handy.

DSC04706.jpg

Of course, the wild woods are a long way from here. My wife said 'and what will you use it for?'. I said 'it is an instrument of dreams, my dear'.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Beautiful piece. Such maple is some of how hardest and most dense wood species, second only to dogwood or "ironwood" in the SW. What was the thinking on choice of steel?

4. Boxwood is the medieval choice of wood. Very hard and dense, and by the guild laws of medieval London was the ONLY wood allowed to be stained or coloured in any way so as to prevent bad choice of material being masked or obscured from the customer. Many tricks were tried though, the book "Knives and scabbards " museum of London has an X ray of a scale tanged 15th cent knife where the scales are secured by a dozen rivets.... however, when X rayed, only 3 go right through, all the others are decorative, though look real !

5. I'll have to remember that next time I bring home another rifle/pistol....

6. Yes it is good for handles--all my gunstocks tools are boxwood handled since they are imported from the UK. We don't have the proliferation of mature hedges as you do so boxwood for handles is less common here.

7. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

knife.jpg

Stanley blade on one end, hollow ground steel on the other. Handy. Also got an Opinel for when I'm being Davy Crockett.

8. As promised:

Made in 1968, restored by maker in 2010

Knife out of sheath.jpg knife in sheath.jpg

Blade is 440 Stainless
    Pommel and hilt are brass
    Grip is fabric micarta
    Scabbard is nylon (have gone through 4 leather scabbards over the years but they did not hold up in jungle etc.)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Not wishing to derail your thread. Isn't this wood a protected species in the States,harvested only following major storms, when the tree has been felled by nature?

There was a recent UK based tv programme showing how this wood was used in key sections of USA Naval warships. They demonstrated a cannon ball penetration exercise measured against the conventional wood(s) used in their Brit counterparts of the period. Impressive as to how the dogwood held up to the force suffering a mere dent whereas the Brit design allowed cannon balls to penetrate with devestating effect. Dogwood used in key sections of the hull was also credited with giving colonial ships superior speed.

10. Now that does look a splendidly made bit of kit.

11. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Oh dear I'm going to be labeled again!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. So whats a custom made knife like that cost ?(Promise I wont tell your missus)

13. The past is a foreign country... they do things differently there.Some scramaseax blades, pattern welded core, made of 9 layers of alternating iron and steel beaten strips hammerwelded together and twisted to form a classic herringbone core, wrought iron back and carbon steel edge... Saxon or Viking 9th/10th century style.The handle would have been wooden/or antler.

Jjh... 1968 vintage, thats a really nice piece to have...probably a collectors piece. I am astonished at the demand that a William Scagel holds today.. and a good story of the start of the US custom knifemaking tradition.

Please excuse pic being upside down !

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Are we even allowed to look at knives without being charged with conspiracy to carry a knife?

• Like Like x 3
  15. Are you a carpet fitter? Do you like a nice length of brown and green shagpile?

• Like Like x 3