Knives - Best / Worst / Favourite and all inbetween

terroratthepicnic

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I was just reading the 'Tonight I cooked... ' thread and it was mentioning some knives. This got me thinking about the knives I use all the time. So I did a quick search and there isn't a thread specific to this subject, so, here it is.

For me, I have always used Victorinox Fibrox Nylon Handled knives. The handle feels good in the hand and they don't slip when they get slimy. They have remained reliable and tend not to blunt too quickly. I can't be getting on with the likes of Global or Stellar, or for that matter Sabatier. All becuase the handles are crap, imo.

However, there are others that I use regularly at home. I have a cheap 8" chefs knife that blunts easily, but can also have an edge but back on with a steel. I tend to use this when chopping. I have 2 Worlds Sharpest Knife that I use every now and again. I'm not a big fan of surarted blades, which is probably why it gets left in the draw often.

I have 4 3" stainless surgical steel veg knives that I use for almost everything. I use it to slice dice veg or tunnel bone a leg of lamb, they really are that versatile.

But my favourite knife has to be my 10" filliting knive. the blade is again a stainless surgical steel blade that can bend round to touch the handle. The blade wont snap and in the 4 years I have had it, I have not needed to show it to a steel once. It is still as sharpe as the day I got it.

Of course there are others in the draw that I use, but the ones above are used more often than not.

So, which knives do you like? What little gems have you discovered over the years? If you absolutle had to only use one knive for the rest of your life, what would it be?

I was just reading the 'Tonight I cooked... ' thread and it was mentioning some knives. This got me thinking about the knives I use all the time. So I did a quick search and there isn't a thread specific to this subject, so, here it is.

For me, I have always used Victorinox Fibrox Nylon Handled knives. The handle feels good in the hand and they don't slip when they get slimy. They have remained reliable and tend not to blunt too quickly. I can't be getting on with the likes of Global or Stellar, or for that matter Sabatier. All becuase the handles are crap, imo.

However, there are others that I use regularly at home. I have a cheap 8" chefs knife that blunts easily, but can also have an edge but back on with a steel. I tend to use this when chopping. I have 2 Worlds Sharpest Knife that I use every now and again. I'm not a big fan of surarted blades, which is probably why it gets left in the draw often.

I have 4 3" stainless surgical steel veg knives that I use for almost everything. I use it to slice dice veg or tunnel bone a leg of lamb, they really are that versatile.

But my favourite knife has to be my 10" filliting knive. the blade is again a stainless surgical steel blade that can bend round to touch the handle. The blade wont snap and in the 4 years I have had it, I have not needed to show it to a steel once. It is still as sharpe as the day I got it.

Of course there are others in the draw that I use, but the ones above are used more often than not.

So, which knives do you like? What little gems have you discovered over the years? If you absolutle had to only use one knive for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Jack-the-Ripper. (or Jack the slicer ..if you keep them sharp) :)

My Mum bought me a set of Sabatier professionals in 1966, still use them every day,

Here I was expecting a thread about big, ****-off Rambo knives.

I stopped ******* around with expensive knives years ago, as more often than not they were overpriced tat that didn't live up to expectations. These days I buy cheap knives coupled with both medium grade and ceramic steels. Works a treat, doesn't break the bank.

I just use a John Lewis chef's knife, cost about £18 I think, and it gets a sharpening about once in 2 weeks. Has a good hefty handle, it's well made, Sheffield steel, and does the job. I can't get excited about sabatiers etc. Lot of money for a tool that does the same job to the same standard.

Rather than use a steel, I've got a set of 3 diamond plates from a tool shop, and they get a good edge on knives, incuding pen- knives and even chisels, and they cost less than a tenner.

I have a few Global knives. Not as impressed with them as I thought I would be though. I find myself using them less and less.

This is becuse my main large knives are by Shun. I have a Nakiri and a Santoku. These are excellent and by far the sharpest knives that I have owned.

For smaller knives I am using knives by Robert Welch. Again very sharp, holds a good edge and really good value. I shall be adding some more of these to replace the Global ones.

I use water stones to sharpen both types.

Q.

I won a set of victorinox chefs knives at hotelympia in 1959 or 60 still use 5 of them today, but some bastard knicked the boning knife, most of the present day boning knives are just expensive shite

wedge_cadman

War Hero
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I have a set of Global knives and I get on with them. Rather than use a steel or a ceramic sharpener I use the gritstone block and angle guides that fit the knife to get the correct angle. Admittedly not as quick as using a steel, but I only sharpen them every 6 months.
I also bought a cheap meat cleaver from a chinese supermarket and spent some time honing the edge, excellent if you need a bit of weight when chopping.

theres also a cheap 6 piece knife block in the kitchen somewhere for the wife to use ;-)

My fault! I was praising the price/quality of ceramic kitchen knives from dealextreme.com. My son's just down from Uni, and used one of them to slice an onion - and took off the tip of a finger while doing so. "Jesus, that thing's SHARP!" I'm still very happy with the few I've bought, and plan to buy more (both for my own use, and as Xmas pressies) A knife that's roughly as sharp as a Stanley carpet knife that's just been fitted with a fresh blade and STAYS that way (because the stuff it's made from is only slightly less hard than diamond) is a joy to own... especially if it costs less than a tenner.

I'll go with the Victorinox Fibrox - I only use one though (6" blade, Co-Op for £5.99 about 4 years ago). Hold its edge well and the blade is firm enough for my liking. Her indoors bought 3 of the "World's sharpest knife", but I find the blades too flexible.

I have a couple of Global, some Victorinox I liberated from work, and a block of six Kitchen Devils that Robert Dyas were doing on special offer a few years back.

I like Global, but knives are quite personal, the ceramic blades are good, although I've never used one, but in the slaughterhouses, the ceramic steels were very good until you dropped it or it hit a solid object.

I have a couple of Global, some Victorinox I liberated from work, and a block of six Kitchen Devils that Robert Dyas were doing on special offer a few years back.

I like Global, but knives are quite personal, the ceramic blades are good, although I've never used one, but in the slaughterhouses, the ceramic steels were very good until you dropped it or it hit a solid object.

I used Victorinox messers on Op Slubber and Op peninsula. We tried the ceramic jobbies and, like you wrote, they're brittle and don't stand up to the rough and tumble of herd slaughtering .
Some armourer bloke used to come round every couple of hours with those diamond sharpening stones and we all had steels. Victorinox edges could take some stick!