Knives - Best / Worst / Favourite and all inbetween

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by terroratthepicnic, Jun 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

I was just reading the 'Tonight I cooked... ' thread and it was mentioning some knives. This got me thinking about the knives I use all the time. So I did a quick search and there isn't a thread specific to this subject, so, here it is.

For me, I have always used Victorinox Fibrox Nylon Handled knives. The handle feels good in the hand and they don't slip when they get slimy. They have remained reliable and tend not to blunt too quickly. I can't be getting on with the likes of Global or Stellar, or for that matter Sabatier. All becuase the handles are crap, imo.

However, there are others that I use regularly at home. I have a cheap 8" chefs knife that blunts easily, but can also have an edge but back on with a steel. I tend to use this when chopping. I have 2 Worlds Sharpest Knife that I use every now and again. I'm not a big fan of surarted blades, which is probably why it gets left in the draw often.

I have 4 3" stainless surgical steel veg knives that I use for almost everything. I use it to slice dice veg or tunnel bone a leg of lamb, they really are that versatile.

But my favourite knife has to be my 10" filliting knive. the blade is again a stainless surgical steel blade that can bend round to touch the handle. The blade wont snap and in the 4 years I have had it, I have not needed to show it to a steel once. It is still as sharpe as the day I got it.

Of course there are others in the draw that I use, but the ones above are used more often than not.

So, which knives do you like? What little gems have you discovered over the years? If you absolutle had to only use one knive for the rest of your life, what would it be?
  2. Jack-the-Ripper. (or Jack the slicer ..if you keep them sharp) :)
  3. ******* exciting bloke.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. My Mum bought me a set of Sabatier professionals in 1966, still use them every day,
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Here I was expecting a thread about big, ****-off Rambo knives.
  6. I remember those

Useless pieces of gimmicky shit
  7. Could you use them on yourself?
  8. I stopped ******* around with expensive knives years ago, as more often than not they were overpriced tat that didn't live up to expectations. These days I buy cheap knives coupled with both medium grade and ceramic steels. Works a treat, doesn't break the bank.
  9. Out the door, turn right and two doors down is where the NAAFI is, I think you may have wandered into the cookery bit by mistake.
  10. Bit like your MW2 disc. =-D
  11. I just use a John Lewis chef's knife, cost about £18 I think, and it gets a sharpening about once in 2 weeks. Has a good hefty handle, it's well made, Sheffield steel, and does the job. I can't get excited about sabatiers etc. Lot of money for a tool that does the same job to the same standard.
  12. Rather than use a steel, I've got a set of 3 diamond plates from a tool shop, and they get a good edge on knives, incuding pen- knives and even chisels, and they cost less than a tenner.
  13. I have a few Global knives. Not as impressed with them as I thought I would be though. I find myself using them less and less.

This is becuse my main large knives are by Shun. I have a Nakiri and a Santoku. These are excellent and by far the sharpest knives that I have owned.

For smaller knives I am using knives by Robert Welch. Again very sharp, holds a good edge and really good value. I shall be adding some more of these to replace the Global ones.

I use water stones to sharpen both types.

14. I won a set of victorinox chefs knives at hotelympia in 1959 or 60 still use 5 of them today, but some bastard knicked the boning knife, most of the present day boning knives are just expensive shite
  15. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

I have a set of Global knives and I get on with them. Rather than use a steel or a ceramic sharpener I use the gritstone block and angle guides that fit the knife to get the correct angle. Admittedly not as quick as using a steel, but I only sharpen them every 6 months.
    I also bought a cheap meat cleaver from a chinese supermarket and spent some time honing the edge, excellent if you need a bit of weight when chopping.

theres also a cheap 6 piece knife block in the kitchen somewhere for the wife to use ;-)