Knitting and your favourite hymn

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Albertous, Apr 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Given the sudden outbreak of PC on arrse, which all us serving or former soldiers readily embrace, has anyone got any knitting patterns for a summer tanktop for the Good CO (I am sure it is his birthday soon but hope he does not read this or my surprise gift is ruined) and what is your favourite hymn?

A bit staid I know but “Jerusalem” is mine if we are still allowed to have pride in old patriotic hymns? If not “Onward Non-Selective Religion Freedom Fighters” is the one.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Hymns is both racist and secularist. Better stick to knitting. I am knitting myself a hair shirt out of Muslim hair (you can buy it on the internet) and will wear it whilst praying to Buddha and Shiva as well as Yahweh and anyone other deity I come across - what's the name of the monkey god in SE Asia? Better not piss him/ her / it off!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I like 'All Things Bright and Beautiful', stupid and dull just doesn't cut it.

This pattern seems appropriate - it might need re-sizing though.

Space Cadet Sweater Vest pdf knitting by TrappingsandTrinkets

Attached Files:

4. How about that I would rather ram red hot knitting needles up my japseye than listen to third hird et al and whilst making jumpers.....
  5. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

What a splendid idea old boy. Our squad prefers crochetting - we learnt that from the rather charming Scaley gentlemen - and we are currently making doilies for the Mess so that we can put our Pint Sherry glasses down without staining the beautiful fake wood finish. We're also planning to crochet covers for the spare, ahem (whisper) toilet rolls in the ablutions. Patterns are available from Kitty Fisher, Luxury Nottingham Lace. Made in England.

As for Hymns we usually hum "Shine Jesus Shine" on the ranges, "There Is A Redeemer" when getting a round in and entertain our guests in the Mess as they tuck into cheese toasties and Red Stripe with a medley of old favourites such as "There Is A Green Hill Far Away" and "Abide With Me" in an infantry stylie mix.
  6. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Known as either 'Be thou my vision or St Patricks Breastplate'
    I can't knit
    And if anyone mentions Abide with me or the Titanic there may well be tears
  7. Thieving bastard ;-)
  8. He who would valiant be.

He who would valiant be ’gainst all disaster,
    Let him in constancy follow the Master.
    There’s no discouragement shall make him once relent
    His first avowed intent to be a pilgrim.

Who so beset him round with dismal stories
    Do but themselves confound - his strength the more is.
    No foes shall stay his might; though he with giants fight,
    He will make good his right to be a pilgrim.

Since, Lord, Thou dost defend us with Thy Spirit,
    We know we at the end, shall life inherit.
    Then fancies flee away! I’ll fear not what men say,
    I’ll labor night and day to be a pilgrim.

I'm going to heaven me. Although my non-knitting status probably means I won't get a seat anywhere near a mumsnet user. Which is nice.
  9. I used to know one that ended; "There'll be no fighting there, in my father's house"

Liberal peace lovin' hippy beanfreak.
  10. I am working on this for the CO's

11. I know but it was a good line and got me thinking. Quite a rare event.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. How about knitting a jumper out of Moldovian ferrent Anus hair..... With the pattern saying I suck dead dogs dicks because live ones wouldnt let me.....
  13. Are we allowed to mention "dicks" or even "dead" in the new PC Arrse? Should it not be "genitalia of the male variety" and "in a physical state the opposite to living"?
  14. Good point, what about individuals who have hair the colour that's made up of mixing yellow and red?