Knife making?

ugly

LE
Not from scratch, well not yet, those that are into metal bashing there is a thread: https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/t...-knifemaking-and-all-other-metal-work.255041/
Its in DIY which doesn't really sit well. I dont have time or space for a forge yet so I have decided to finish a couple of blades I have been given. Natural material is plentiful here, I have bone, antler, leather, wood and other stuff.
On a tip from the Colonel I boiled some silver birch in salt water (outside on my ozpig, her indoors would kill me if I did it indoors again) and its coloured the wood a deep ruby red. I will put some pics up when I get the daylight.
It all started with a comment on what was I going to do when I retired. I told the Colonel knife making as I have always fancied a little forge but he said dont wait and gave me three blades and a knife he made when he spent time with the Sammi.
Again pics in daylight.

Looking forward to the pics. :)
I've made a few from blanks and home sourced wood.

Although, to be fair several months ago I started a thread on making wooden boxes to store knives in and haven't done a single thing except ordering a DIY flocking kit, so I'm not very productive.

A good way to while away the hours, I look forward to seeing the pics

Pintleberry wannabe

By a close coincidence, I have spent most of today knife related.
Clearing out the car this morning, I pulled the Martindale 2 out of its scabbard and, horror of horrors, it was covered in tarnish and the beginning of serious rust.
So the world stopped while I referenced YouTube, went downtown to buy various grades of wet and dry, eventually got bored with that and went to a mates workshop to use his belt sander.

I would like to make a knife though.

Isn't there a knife making business down your way, two ex Sappers, who were featured in a shooting magazine fairly recently ?

For inspiration and some lafter forged in fire is now on its fifth season. Very american but i enjoy it an weirdly the wife too. Can be found online or on sky

I used to make hunting knives in the gun factory I worked in for cash in hand back door projects, started out with flat ground steel plate, gave it some big licks on the surface grinder to get the angle, then finished the hollow grind on a bench grinder, sharpened on a wetstone until it would cut a sheet of paper under its own weight, handles were always offcuts of walnut from gun stocks, riveted on. We had an account with a heat treating company so they just went off with other stuff, and came back Rockwell xyz hard.

Not from scratch, well not yet, those that are into metal bashing there is a thread: https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/t...-knifemaking-and-all-other-metal-work.255041/
Its in DIY which doesn't really sit well. I dont have time or space for a forge yet so I have decided to finish a couple of blades I have been given. Natural material is plentiful here, I have bone, antler, leather, wood and other stuff.
On a tip from the Colonel I boiled some silver birch in salt water (outside on my ozpig, her indoors would kill me if I did it indoors again) and its coloured the wood a deep ruby red. I will put some pics up when I get the daylight.
It all started with a comment on what was I going to do when I retired. I told the Colonel knife making as I have always fancied a little forge but he said dont wait and gave me three blades and a knife he made when he spent time with the Sammi.
Again pics in daylight.
This was a good programme but unfortunately not on iplayer, some clips though

Metal, Handmade - BBC Four

Last edited:
@ugly
Another technique ref handle is to put it in boiling linseed oil. The heat drives out any air in the wood and it absorbs the linseed oil. The wood hardens and adopts a kind of patina. Best done outdoors!
Theres a few good kits onthe market, some are worth a punt just to see how you can test and adjust ones own ideas.

I love watching the art of bladesmithing. Forged in Fire on the History channel is quite interesting, watching four people compete to make a blade of the judges choice before the last round where the remaining contestants attempt to create a famous blade from the past.

It is American but I find it's entertaining. I just wish the host (ex Ranger and Pararescue, Wil Willis) would cut his hair!

ugly

LE
Pintleberry wannabe
One of the reasons its in this forum is because we are generally like minded and I cant moderate the posts apart from banning.
This morning after walking the dogs I went out in the garden and pulled the birch from the salt water. It had seriously coloured the water. Here it is next to an untouched block of silver birch;
DSCN1227.JPG

The grain doesn't seem to have opened out which is encouraging;

DSCN1228.JPG
DSCN1229.JPG
DSCN1230.JPG

This is the Knife given to me by the Colonel, I think either he made it or it was made for him by Sammi;

DSCN1231.JPG
DSCN1232.JPG
DSCN1233.JPG
DSCN1234.JPG

Above are the blades given to me, one is apparently a carving blade. If I live long enough I would love to get a mini forge going and build one from scratch, maybe even using scrap Damascus barrels. It would have to be somewhere away from the house as the noise is rather loud.

ugly

LE
The Colonels blade is quite rough but apparently thats normal for Lapland, I find it to be too short and lacking any stop from cutting yourself so its possibly staying in the sheath. I have various Frosts, Helles and a Mammoth folder which I have butchered deer with. I now have a decent frost with a hand stop from Bushwear which at a £5 posted was a bargain and its all orange bar the blade which is important for dusk grallochs.
He did a swap with me for some antler for stick finishing and I have some horn and some moose antler.
Kirkz put me onto forged in fire which I can get on Blaze when her indoors isn't watching.

The Colonels blade is quite rough but apparently thats normal for Lapland, I find it to be too short and lacking any stop from cutting yourself so its possibly staying in the sheath. I have various Frosts, Helles and a Mammoth folder which I have butchered deer with. I now have a decent frost with a hand stop from Bushwear which at a £5 posted was a bargain and its all orange bar the blade which is important for dusk grallochs.
He did a swap with me for some antler for stick finishing and I have some horn and some moose antler.
Kirkz put me onto forged in fire which I can get on Blaze when her indoors isn't watching.
The cut is on the draw on Puukkos and the like. One cuts with a circular movement of the hand rather than a back and forth motion.
Im in the process of making a sheath for a Brusletto Falken that I picked up as a kit. Being left handed, I have to make my own as the kits are inevitably for right handers. Brusletto Knife Blades