Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Knife incident in Whitehall, response by MoD police.

diverman

LE
Book Reviewer
From today's Times, does training need to be improved and reinforced?

Locked safety catch on police officer’s gun saved knifeman at Horse Guards Parade​

John Simpson
, Crime Correspondent
Wednesday April 20 2022, 12.01am, The Times
The incident prompted a heavy police presence and the closure of Whitehall in London

The incident prompted a heavy police presence and the closure of Whitehall in London
HENRY NICHOLLS/REUTERS
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...knifeman-london-horse-guards-parade-lrpmjz8sf

https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sha...knifeman-london-horse-guards-parade-lrpmjz8sf

Save

A man narrowly escaped being shot dead after allegedly charging at armed police officers with a blade drawn.

An officer from the Ministry of Defence police drew his pistol and pulled the trigger but had failed to release the gun’s safety catch.

The suspect was said to be brandishing a kitchen knife when he was confronted by two officers at about 8.50am on Monday at Horse Guards Parade in London.

The officer who aimed at the man is understood to have pulled the trigger twice but was using a new-model Glock pistol with a dual safety catch and had forgotten to release one of the mechanisms.

The officers had been stationed at the parade ground, where Trooping the Colour is held every year, when the knifeman approached them.

Advertisement​

He allegedly tried to stab one of the officers, who fell to the ground and repeatedly kicked out to protect himself from the knife before the other incapacitated the attacker with a Taser and restrained him.
The incident, which the Metropolitan police yesterday stressed was not considered to be linked to terrorism, prompted a heavy police presence and the closure of Whitehall, the main thoroughfare from Trafalgar Square to Parliament Square, and the deployment of a bomb disposal team.
Whitehall is home to the Ministry of Defence and the Cabinet Office and is under round-the-clock armed guard.
One employee at a nearby souvenir stand told MailOnline: “I heard a lot of noise and looked outside, and the police and army were on the street.

“They seemed to be looking at a bike that was nearby and someone said they were checking out a suspicious parcel on it.”
A waitress at a restaurant a short distance from the crime scene said: “We had only been open for an hour or so and had a few customers for breakfast when the police came in and told everyone to stay inside.
“They just said there had been an incident and it was safer to stay indoors but then ten minutes later they came back and told everyone to leave as there was a suspicious package.”
Prashanth Kandhaiah, 29, has been charged with attempted grievous bodily harm with intent and possession of a bladed article and appeared at Westminster magistrates’ court yesterday, where he wore a grey T-shirt, thought to be prison issue.

Advertisement​

Kandhaiah, of Thamesmead, southeast London, pleaded not guilty and was remanded in custody before a preliminary hearing at Southwark crown court on May 17.
In a statement released before the hearing, Scotland Yard said: “At around 8.50am, a 29-year-old man, who was armed with a knife, confronted two Ministry of Defence police officers.
“[A] Taser was deployed and the man was restrained by officers. There were no reports of any injuries.
“An investigation is under way. Met officers will continue to liaise closely with the Ministry of Defence police as it progresses.”

Any HCMR on here? I am curious what the mounted guards’ orders are in such circumstances. I would have thought running a knife-wielding attacker through with their swords would not be off the table. An 8ft-tall half-ton horse would be quite a weapon too.

Any HCMR on here? I am curious what the mounted guards’ orders are in such circumstances. I would have thought running a knife-wielding attacker through with their swords would not be off the table. An 8ft-tall half-ton horse would be quite a weapon too.
The horse would be sued by the Human Rights brigade quicker than you could say charge.

Not a lot of point carrying a gun if you can’t make it work when needed which could be in a split second at any time of the day or night.

I’ve got no sympathy that the knife man survived to be honest.

We could have been offering condolences for a dead police officer who went to work leaving his wife and kids at home until someone had to knock on the door with devastating news for them.

Whatever the reason for the gun not firing, I hope it doesn’t happen again.

Pure speculation on my part, either they may not have operated the trigger correctly, or may still be equipped with a SIG.
I claim no expertise, but a Sig doesn't have a safety catch either. I carried a 226 on Herrick, once it was made ready you would de-cock it and from there on the only safety was that the first trigger pull was long/ heavy.

Seen some MOD carrying a 9mm HK or Walther rather than a Glock or SIG. Isn't there a central procurement pathway for MOD plod sidearms?