Knife Collectors Show Us Your Kit

Couple of years back me and an Oppo were 'busy' in the office one Sunday morning trying to come up a legal reason for carrying a lock knife (as both of us were carrying the useful tool) end result was neither of us could come up with one that didn't fall foul of the law.

Obviously didn't stop us and depending which jacket I'm wearing I have at least one lock knife in my body armour and have carried the old Swiss Champion on my belt forever without any bosses getting excited.
I carry a short pencil in the pouch (together with a space pen and a mag lite solitaire), because it’s a penknife, meant for sharpening quills and pencils. The pencil is a solid graphite stick sharpened to a chisel point for marking wood. Dunno if this is a reasonable excuse as no one has ever asked me.

I’ve got a WW2 Fairbairn-Sykes dagger from my grandfather (FAA seafire pilot) who got it when he was doing E&E training in Scotland.

Anyone on here able to assist in PID which kind/mk of dagger it is? My concern is it might be worth insuring. Second image shows crows foot and number 1 above it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32

endure

GCM
I've had a look at Mora Companions on Heinnie and there seem to be 3 or 4 models with only a quid or 2 price difference between them. Are they all the same with different handles or are there other differences?

I've had a look at Mora Companions on Heinnie and there seem to be 3 or 4 models with only a quid or 2 price difference between them. Are they all the same with different handles or are there other differences?
Ditto, just treated myself to a heavy duty one, there's a small-£2-3-difference depending on the thickness of the blade.

I’ve got a WW2 Fairbairn-Sykes dagger from my grandfather (FAA seafire pilot) who got it when he was doing E&E training in Scotland.

Anyone on here able to assist in PID which kind/mk of dagger it is? My concern is it might be worth insuring. Second image shows crows foot and number 1 above it.

What's the overall length?
Not an expert although I have some references somewhere.
My guess would be an FS 2nd pattern but there were many manufacturers - anything stamped on the hilt and is the knurled handle brass?

Mais oieh, m'sieu. C'est la modelle 'snake'ead':
View attachment 380788
May be worthwhile tidying up, but not today.
It's a bee, not a snake head. Napoleon adopted the bee into his insignia as a sign of working together and industry, and it was then adopted throughout France. Your knife is a Laguiole (pronounced Layolle), hand made in or around Aubrac in France.

It's a bee, not a snake head. Napoleon adopted the bee into his insignia as a sign of working together and industry, and it was then adopted throughout France. Your knife is a Laguiole (pronounced Layolle), hand made in or around Aubrac in France.
Ok, ok, so you said last year....
But now I've had to reread, and see that @greenbaggyskin has a bigger version of something given to me many years ago:
IMG_0652[29074].jpg

Broken, very dirty and dusty (sits on a bookshelf with the Ayn Rand stuff). No idea where it comes from, but is probably a letter-opener made to look like a Weapon.

I've rarely seen a keyboard so disgusting as @ugly 's, incidentally. Except in a mining truck despatcher's box/office. You dirty, dirty man.

Edit: And now I'm sneezing. Bugger.

But now I've had to reread, and see that @greenbaggyskin has a bigger version of something given to me many years ago:View attachment 567425
Broken, very dirty and dusty (sits on a bookshelf with the Ayn Rand stuff). No idea where it comes from, but is probably a letter-opener made to look like a Weapon.

I've rarely seen a keyboard so disgusting as @ugly 's, incidentally. Except in a mining truck despatcher's box/office. You dirty, dirty man.

The rough cast of the handle suggests it was mass produced. Any weapon maker or manufacturer would have probably taken more pride in the detail. Like you, I think it's probably a letter opener made for the tourist market somewhere.

IMG_8502.jpg

Here's some of my collection, nothing old, just interesting. Bottom right, an "interesting" Microtech, above that there are a couple of belt buckles with concealed folding knives, near the centre a La Mar with abalone scales. One folder has an incorporated Damascus steel straight razor. Big photo so you can zoom in twice.

Last edited:
But now I've had to reread, and see that @greenbaggyskin has a bigger version of something given to me many years ago:View attachment 567425

Looks like it’s cast from monkey metal, so almost certainly a letter opener. I have something similar made from a Gazelle tail rotor blade, it’s never opened a letter, but like the other few dozen I made, it was de rigeur for anyone with a desk, to sit next to the Lycoming piston ashtray.

A.N.Other

War Hero
Sadly, some enthusiastic plod is going to call that a Straight Razor, or go down the ‘one handed opening’ route. Presumably it’s pretty stable when open?
It's based on the Svord Peasant knife. It's not a friction folder. The extended spine fits in the handle when open, so you have the spine in the palm of your hand. I have the Spiderco version as my daily carry. Totally UK legal and miles safer to use than a slip joint.

Sadly, some enthusiastic plod is going to call that a Straight Razor, or go down the ‘one handed opening’ route. Presumably it’s pretty stable when open?

Fairly stiff to open and require a good grip in the right place to hold the blade in place to avoid getting cut. Not ideal but it seems to fulfill the requirement of being dangerous to the user that UK plod appear to pursue.

Blade shape can be changed, but anyone who thinks that's a straight razor is seriously short of smarts. Cleaver shape folder designs seem to have become quite popular in the last few years.

Gerber make a few options...

ge30-001495$01-gerber.jpg

It's a lock blade so will raise plod blood pressure, but hardly a razor* and not exactly easy to use for getting all down and stabby.

*Good luck to the feckless and indolent keeping a decent edge on anything. I doubt they have the patience and persistence to do so.

ETA: Bah! Humbug!

@Drazyl
They did birch handle ones with a brass finger guard. I have one and its a very nice. bit of kit. Marttinii seem to be underrated.

Latest Threads