Knee replacement

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by HEART_STOPPER, Sep 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a quick Q for the surgical side on here.
    I'm pretty much broken now after 23 years in the job and have just had my 4th surgery on my knee, however this time when the surgeon saw me afterwards he has told me I'm not a candidate for the osteotomy (sp) but need a full knee replacement.
    I've been back to the med centre and the doc has now referred me to the UK as she says it can't be done in Germany.
    What I'm wondering is will I just be messed around until I'm gone and become a problem for the NHS or will the army surgeon look at my history and agree with the german surgeon who has actually had a look inside my knee?
    Cheers for your time HS.

2. My guess is you'll be too young for an op on the NHS,That's what i was told 5 years ago. I have had 4 arthroscopys on both knees in the past 8 years I am 55 now and need a new left knee.However every case is different ! Wish you all the best and you get it sorted.

3. The age thing is becoming less of a barrier these days. The old type prostheses only lasted 10 years or so, hence the reluctance to replace early as it would need revising. The new titanium replacement joints are much hardier and, looked after, can last 20+ years. You're more likely to get tossed about because of financial pressures on elective surgeries, but it's well worth discussing it with your orthopod.

4. In a similar position to yourself Heart Stopper, however I am in my 30's. Orthopods seem to be changing their views drastically over these last 2-3 years and are replacing hips and knees at younger ages. The reasoning is in part as per what Big Bird said with the joint lifespan massively increasing. However there is also the element of "quality of life" no one knows how healthy you will be at 70 or 80 if you ever get that far so they are now trying to get people back up and enjoying life when they are still "young" and healthy.

5. Had one done at end March. It took three trips to UK before I finally saw the consultant and he agreed it was essential. Pressure from the surgeon here in Cyprus also helped. They tried the age argument, the counter to that is that its better to do the operation whilst you're in good health than wait five years by which time you might not be. I think the real issue was budgetary. Play up the quality of life side. Persistance pays in the end

6. This is the thing, we have a 2 year old and another on the way so as an older dad I just feel I'm missing out on things I can't do with them that pain free knees would allow me to do. I am going to push it as hard as possible but am just a bit worried that by making me go back and forth etc it may play into their hands and try and pass me over to the NHS. Cheers for the replies at least I know age isn't the only factor.

7. I had hip done at 42 at RN Haslar....wore it out after 9 years and now recovering after second hip replacement at RUH Bath courtesy of NHS.

I did not look after it really....too much walking, shagging after my divorce so am to blame. Will look after this one me thinks!

8. All I want is to be able to walk pain free and some light phys (x trainer or bike) no more bergan carrying or tabbing etc oh and to bend over to pick things up and not sound like I'm snapping twigs lol

9. Get a private consultation. You still get the op on the Nash but things are 'expedited'.

10. The other option is more pills, more side-effects, shoved on opiates then you'll get hooked on them. Push for the operation.

11. If the medics ever offer you the opportunity to watch a film of a knee replacement, don't. Best of luck, though. When the state of my knees became a show-stopper, I was advised to stop doing the things causing the damage (running, Lynx flying) and under no circumstances let anyone near my knees with a knife. Sounds like you're a lot further down the line from where I'm standing. (Free pun).

12. H S, you've reminded me of something else; they were keen to manage down expectations. I said I would be happy just to walk a decent length on the seafront. I haven't tried cycling as I think falling off on the wrong side might be painful. They promised the leg would be straight (which it is), they were optimistic about it being pain free (which it is), they were less assuring about flexion but probably because I was very strict with physio, before and after, I have the same degree of movement as the "good" knee. They were not at all happy that my recreational activity is sailing but I promised to take things easy this year. I suggest you stick to playing with the children and gentle walking, when they ask the question.

I think the operation will be in the NHS. I am an entitled civilian now, but I was referred to the Royal Orthopaedic in Birmingham, who are contracted to the QE2, I would expect that this is where you will go. Apart from the food (not entirely their fault as the kitchen had burnt down) the care was excellent (although everyone calls you love). I was particularly impressed by their infection control (an important point with a major operation). Operation Wed, walking with sticks Fri, discharged Sat

13. Clucking bells that's quick mate I've just had a bakers cyst (not the biggest he's seen but up there with them, although my reply of and the cyst was wasted on the german doctor) and my 4th orthoscopie on the same knee within 4 years and had a week in hospital.
    Oh and the food was rats and it was their fault, ******* bread for tea FFS!

14. You get 'enhanced recovery' with joint replacements nowadays, which means you are up on your feet the same day as your op and out of hospital a couple of days later. We are doing 5 days from op to home, and they are looking at reducing that time.

As for the Army forgetting about you once you are out, if you are being treated for a condition while serving that hasnt been concluded once you leave the military are duty bound to ensure you have a clear clinical pathway once you are out. sometimes it breaks down and you are forgotten about, like me, but I sent an email to the CDS and within days recieved a reply which contained all of the of the emails sent backwards and forwards between the bigwigs and various personalities such as my service doctors, former CO etc... and then a written apology from a Brigadier and continuation of the treatment.

Too young for a TKR? if the consultants think you need a knee replacement then they will send you for one. I have seen many people in their early 40s have knee and hip replacements.

If they do decide that you need one while youre serving, the Military can fast track you through private hospitals and even if its NHS you can 'choose and book' and go private.

obviously its a clinical decision and they may wish to explore other possibilities before refering you for a TKR.

15. FF thanks for the reply and that's twice today I've seen TKR written down the other is on the paperwork from the doc to the mo.
    You've calmed some of my fears now I think it's wait out for my referal to come back and see what happens.