knee protection

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by walt_of_the_walts, Dec 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 'Took a knee' recently and the left one felt like it was going to burst out the side of the joint, so I quickly took my weight off it.

I recall a thread here about knee protection that showed a cyclists gel type kneepad that could be worn under clothing. They were quite pricey, somewhere in the region of £25-45 but looked ideal especially if you had to wear them for extended periods.

I've tried the cheap airsofter type knee pads with velcro straps and found them to be hopeless as they shift about and fall down when tabbing.

I've tried to search the forums, but I can't find the thread or the link to the shop that sold them. I've also looked on a few cycle shop websites and can't find anything that looks like it there.

Any help appreciated.

2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

So "taking a knee" whilst instructing a number of children in a military themed youth group is causing you problems, as is "tabbing" with velcro knee pads on? Is Bramley training area really that demanding as you walk around in in your Webtex vest and daysack?

Get real - you just want to buy more kit to support your military fantasies, don't you?
  3. In Afghan I found that the standard issued knee pads worked well. The trick to do with the tabbing I found was to just wear one (on which ever knee you favour) and have it loose so it sits around your ankle whilst walking/running/tabbing. It only take a second to pull up to your knee and if you cant waste a second then it wont matter as you'll have far more important things to worry about.
  4. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

Might I suggest a tactical innovation for issue knee pads? A 6-inch long spike.

With this, you will be able to:
    Establish a damned firm grip whenever you 'take a knee;'
    Be a deadly master of H2H combat;
    Terrify the enemy (while generating hilarity among everyone else).
  5. I use these (661 Kyle Strait Slim Knee Protection), worn under combats, very comfy and good for protection. Only fell down once, but that occasion i was diving onto my belt buckle rather than knees so i didn't really care.

6. Lose weight
  7. Pro Tip, never ever 'take a knee', as it makes you look, A) Keen, and B) Like you know what you're doing. Both of which = Extra work for yourself.

Tacticool people sit on thier arrse, try it, any DS will think you're ally as fook and leave you alone :wink:
  8. Knee pads are for pussies...

Seriously though, if your knee is feeling that bad that then a knee pad is not going to help, it's indicative of something wrong.

Plus all knee pads do is get in the way, and the hook and loop type ones just end up shifting and the strap gets twisted and ends up cutting into your leg.
  9. Shite!! On the odd patrol/job I forgot my knee pad i was in clip from kneeling and I have no knee problems whatsoever and am not obese.
  10. Get fcuked.
  11. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

It sounds more like your knees are fucked after years of propping up your morbidly obese, cadet instructing frame.

Take a knee? Take a pasty would be closer to the truth.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Says you. A 30 stone alcoholic, I'll wager.
  13. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

I probably drink a little too much, and a few stone above my P Coy weight but still getting by, and losing weight rapidly in preparation for PDT.

Still morbidly obese, carrying your "sniper taped" civvy rifle to Bisley dressed all in black like the fatter brother of the first man on the balcony and living out your military fantasies via the role of ACF instructor?
  14. i've got a pair of the same and are very good