knee protection

'Took a knee' recently and the left one felt like it was going to burst out the side of the joint, so I quickly took my weight off it.

I recall a thread here about knee protection that showed a cyclists gel type kneepad that could be worn under clothing. They were quite pricey, somewhere in the region of £25-45 but looked ideal especially if you had to wear them for extended periods.

I've tried the cheap airsofter type knee pads with velcro straps and found them to be hopeless as they shift about and fall down when tabbing.

I've tried to search the forums, but I can't find the thread or the link to the shop that sold them. I've also looked on a few cycle shop websites and can't find anything that looks like it there.

Any help appreciated.

WOTW

The_Duke

LE
So "taking a knee" whilst instructing a number of children in a military themed youth group is causing you problems, as is "tabbing" with velcro knee pads on? Is Bramley training area really that demanding as you walk around in in your Webtex vest and daysack?

Get real - you just want to buy more kit to support your military fantasies, don't you?

Z

Zarathustra

In Afghan I found that the standard issued knee pads worked well. The trick to do with the tabbing I found was to just wear one (on which ever knee you favour) and have it loose so it sits around your ankle whilst walking/running/tabbing. It only take a second to pull up to your knee and if you cant waste a second then it wont matter as you'll have far more important things to worry about.

Andy_S

LE
Book Reviewer
Might I suggest a tactical innovation for issue knee pads? A 6-inch long spike.

With this, you will be able to:
Establish a damned firm grip whenever you 'take a knee;'
Be a deadly master of H2H combat;
Terrify the enemy (while generating hilarity among everyone else).

I use these (661 Kyle Strait Slim Knee Protection), worn under combats, very comfy and good for protection. Only fell down once, but that occasion i was diving onto my belt buckle rather than knees so i didn't really care.

walt_of_the_walts said:
'Took a knee' recently and the left one felt like it was going to burst out the side of the joint, so I quickly took my weight off it.

I recall a thread here about knee protection that showed a cyclists gel type kneepad that could be worn under clothing. They were quite pricey, somewhere in the region of £25-45 but looked ideal especially if you had to wear them for extended periods.

I've tried the cheap airsofter type knee pads with velcro straps and found them to be hopeless as they shift about and fall down when tabbing.

I've tried to search the forums, but I can't find the thread or the link to the shop that sold them. I've also looked on a few cycle shop websites and can't find anything that looks like it there.

Any help appreciated.

WOTW

Lose weight

Pro Tip, never ever 'take a knee', as it makes you look, A) Keen, and B) Like you know what you're doing. Both of which = Extra work for yourself.

Tacticool people sit on thier arrse, try it, any DS will think you're ally as fook and leave you alone :wink:

Knee pads are for pussies...

Seriously though, if your knee is feeling that bad that then a knee pad is not going to help, it's indicative of something wrong.

Plus all knee pads do is get in the way, and the hook and loop type ones just end up shifting and the strap gets twisted and ends up cutting into your leg.

soldier.a said:
Knee pads are for pussies...

Seriously though, if your knee is feeling that bad that then a knee pad is not going to help, it's indicative of something wrong.

Plus all knee pads do is get in the way, and the hook and loop type ones just end up shifting and the strap gets twisted and ends up cutting into your leg.
Shite!! On the odd patrol/job I forgot my knee pad i was in clip from kneeling and I have no knee problems whatsoever and am not obese.

The_Duke said:
So "taking a knee" whilst instructing a number of children in a military themed youth group is causing you problems, as is "tabbing" with velcro knee pads on? Is Bramley training area really that demanding as you walk around in in your Webtex vest and daysack?

Get real - you just want to buy more kit to support your military fantasies, don't you?
Get fcuked.

The_Duke

LE
walt_of_the_walts said:
The_Duke said:

Get fcuked.
It sounds more like your knees are fucked after years of propping up your morbidly obese, cadet instructing frame.

Take a knee? Take a pasty would be closer to the truth.

The_Duke said:
walt_of_the_walts said:
The_Duke said:

Get fcuked.
It sounds more like your knees are fucked after years of propping up your morbidly obese, cadet instructing frame.

Take a knee? Take a pasty would be closer to the truth.
Says you. A 30 stone alcoholic, I'll wager.

The_Duke

LE
Close.

I probably drink a little too much, and a few stone above my P Coy weight but still getting by, and losing weight rapidly in preparation for PDT.

You?

Still morbidly obese, carrying your "sniper taped" civvy rifle to Bisley dressed all in black like the fatter brother of the first man on the balcony and living out your military fantasies via the role of ACF instructor?

Turk said:
I use these (661 Kyle Strait Slim Knee Protection), worn under combats, very comfy and good for protection. Only fell down once, but that occasion i was diving onto my belt buckle rather than knees so i didn't really care.

i've got a pair of the same and are very good

The_Duke said:
Close.

I probably drink a little too much, and a few stone above my P Coy weight but still getting by, and losing weight rapidly in preparation for PDT.

You?

Still morbidly obese, carrying your "sniper taped" civvy rifle to Bisley dressed all in black like the fatter brother of the first man on the balcony and living out your military fantasies via the role of ACF instructor?
Duke, behave. He is twice the man that you are!

Again on the 661 kyle straits. I've had a pair for about 2 years now... Used primarily for falling off mountain bikes but taken on ex a few times too. They've been bloody good and my knees still work. 8)

@ WOTW, have you tried sewing small horizontal strips of 25mm velcro across the front of your trousers, and inside the upper edges of the pads? You should then be able to use the velcro to keep them up, and the pad straps to keep them in place otherwise.

WOTWs I like to do a bit of lateral thinking, I've pondered over your dilemma and believe you are not tackling the root cause. Yes your knee hurts but why?

If you could get hold of one of these handy adjustable axle stands, you could carry it around with you and deploy it whenever you feel the need to "take a knee" or go prone.

As you can see various heights are possible, which will enable the stand to take the strain of your considerable blubber neckhammock.

This I believe will remove a considerable strain for your tired overworked knees and could also prevent your neck snapping, should you choose to go horizontal.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SoftPawn Army Reserve 10
Forces_Sweetheart The Intelligence Cell 1
P Weapons, Equipment & Rations 24